River Cruising Water Cooler

Host Jazzbeau

Notamermaid your right it’s so bad this is happening, we realised earlier in the year cruising on the Canal du Nivernais how bad it was for the French out in the country. So many villages with no small shops bakers, butchers or local bars there is no money. Beautiful country mostly lovely people such a shame.

So the problems at the tunnel hopefully will be sorted soon and the persons causing it can get over their temper tantrums.

Plus we traveled there and back through the tunnel with no problems so smooth, so far it’s home for the hols this year. Think about us when we’re off the Scotland in September what will they think up to foil our plans?

5 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Think about us when we’re off the Scotland in September what will they think up to foil our plans?

True, true, you never know what Autumn will bring. Bickering divorcés :classic_wink:. Still, as regards covid panic/madness/case counting I fear more for my country than for yours. Like one stallholder near me said the other day when I talked to him about tourism and events: "... and in autumn they will close all the events down again, I reckon". Most reasonable people are done with covid restrictions but fear the government could reintroduce them on a whim. It would be so bad for day trippers and of course also for those that want to come on a care-free holiday. As regards lack of funds in villages: money that has sustained businesses in the last 26 months here no longer flows I believe and those that struggle to pay back or return to full turnover may loose that struggle. I reckon that happened (although I am not sure) to a shop I used to go to and a restaurant where I used to eat a nice salad and schnitzel. The restaurant closed and for weeks the answering machine said they would reopen on such and such a day. They did not and closed down for good.

Strong tourism can work wonders to get money back into a local economy. For some places, though, that is not enough. They have a different mix of clientele. People round where I live never see tourism crowds like at Koblenz.

I see at work myself that more Germans do not leave their country to go on holiday and explore just other regions, like friends going to the North Sea Coast or a couple I met at work travelling by train along the Rhine for a week. Many people have always stayed in the country but more folks still choose to do so this year although much of the world is again open to them.

Canal archive, hope your trip to Scotland is everything you want it to be.

notamermaid

.... Here we are, @ural guy

From another thread, your question:

"Just wondering, but have you ever been to Ferropolis, the big industrial mining open air museum?  We are arriving 10 nights early for a Danube cruise in November, and are going to spend 10 nights between Erfurt and Dresden, before we take a train to Prague, where our Vantage portion of trip starts.  Looking at places like Quedlinburg, Freiberg...we'll have a car for 5-6 days."

To be honest, I do not know where Ferropolis is. Okay, I know now: https://www.ferropolis.de/en/

This means I have never been. Looks great at first glance. I am not familiar with the East, but can tell you that people rave about Quedlinburg. Would love to go there. Erfurt has got a great cathedral (Dom) with a famous bell.

Not sure how much AnhalterER1960 reads in the background. He lives in the East and is the expert. But there may be others who can give you some ideas about the area.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

The Wuppertal Schwebebahn! Amazing place. Here is a fun video to cheer you up. Find the place at Wuppertal which is off the East of the Rhine in North Rhine Westphalia. Nearest port may be Duisburg. Or Düsseldorf.

notamermaid

26 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The Wuppertal Schwebebahn! Amazing place. Here is a fun video to cheer you up. Find the place at Wuppertal which is off the East of the Rhine in North Rhine Westphalia. Nearest port may be Duisburg. Or Düsseldorf.

notamermaid

Fascinating! Amazing how old it is, and how it has stood the test of time. Definitely on my list now:)

Robin

16 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Nearest port may be Duisburg. Or Düsseldorf.

Nearest port is Düsseldorf. Checked it now. I binge watched Tim's videos last year. Helped to keep me sane, I love unusual places - and trains! Enjoyed riding the Schwebebahn many years ago. So unusual. Guess where Tim went a year later? That's right to another one. Another one? Correct. There is a second one nearby and - if you want to know more watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeYTtlXywUI

A bit of nerdy technical and physics stuff thrown in as well.

16 hours ago, acwmom said:

I’m stuck in isolation, recovering from Covid

All the best for fast recovery.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

15 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Nearest port is Düsseldorf. Checked it now. I binge watched Tim's videos last year. Helped to keep me sane, I love unusual places - and trains! Enjoyed riding the Schwebebahn many years ago. So unusual. Guess where Tim went a year later? That's right to another one. Another one? Correct. There is a second one nearby and - if you want to know more watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeYTtlXywUI

A bit of nerdy technical and physics stuff thrown in as well.

All the best for fast recovery.

notamermaid

Thank you! Another great video. I definitely need to figure out how to fit this into a trip. 

I’m back to work tomorrow. The first 2-3 days were rough, but I’m feeling about 90% now.

Robin

• Like 3

17 hours ago, acwmom said:

@notamermaidplease tell me more about this! I’m stuck in isolation, recovering from Covid, and this showed up on my Facebook feed. Where’s the nearest river cruise port or large town? I’d love to see this (and take a ride) 

Has anyone else done this? @jpalbny?

https://schwebebahn.de/en

Oh no! It seems like everyone is getting it. And you are exposed to sick people more than most of us! I am so not looking forward to school starting this fall.

I hope your symptoms are mild.

20 minutes ago, acwmom said:

Thank you! Another great video. I definitely need to figure out how to fit this into a trip. 

I’m back to work tomorrow. The first 2-3 days were rough, but I’m feeling about 90% now.

Robin

Do you think it was the ba.5? I hope you will be able to ward off future strains but impossible to know now a days.

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

Do you think it was the ba.5? I hope you will be able to ward off future strains but impossible to know now a days.

Likely ba.5. I have had one booster and was waiting for them to update the vaccine strains before getting my second. For now, I’ll see this as my booster.  Symptoms were rough for 48 hours. Severe sore throat and fatigue.  Back to work tomorrow!

• Like 1

There have been a few threads that touched on visits to the US Cemetery in Luxembourg. Those visiting might be interested in this -https://www.military.com/off-duty/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-patton-movie-not-general.html?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=dfn-ebb&SToverlay=2002c2d9-c344-4bbb-8610-e5794efcfa7d - as it addresses the most well known soldier buried there. 

The Beluga Whale has been lifted from the river earlier this morning, fingers crossed.

I had the absolute privilege of helping to feed a rescued young Beluga Whale in San Diego Sea World many years ago, they are squidgy unlike the young Pilot Whale who was rescued with him his skin was as tight as a drum.

Well, I had planned to go to England again in August, but my little group of travellers for various reasons disbanded and now I am stuck here in what was the saying about limbo? Forgotten the English. I am hanging around with different ideas in my head but no real travel plans have emerged yet. Not sure at all what I want to do. Going solo budget is limited to three nights on a river cruise ship but all that I can see are four nights or longer. I do not feel like being on a one night party ship in Düsseldorf.

Perhaps endless hours of ship spotting? Annoy the public library attendants? Organize my archive? Clear out the cellar?

Feeling a bit lost.

notamermaid

Notamermaid,

Sorry to hear  plans for your trip to England have taken a detour. Perhaps something magical now has the opportunity to take place.

Meanwhile,  do you remember the posts about a television program 'Worlds Most Scenic River Journeys' specifically one about the Moselle. Narrator Bill Nighy.

Many rivers have been featured in the series. All lovely. 

The newer series 'Worlds Most Scenic Railway Journeys ', also narrated by Bill Nighy is spectacular.  Perhaps you can access these and take a number of trips in your imagination. 

RB 

11 hours ago, Ritabob said:

Perhaps something magical now has the opportunity to take place.

Thank you. I am hoping for a door to open, or that I will open a door that I have walked past many times for lack of time or patience.

Scenic Railway Journeys, now there is a perfect suggestion, thank you! I am still part-filling my evenings with watching Time Team, but I enjoy watching Michael Portillo's railway journeys also.

notamermaid

25 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

So sad you won’t be able to visit this year fingers crossed for next year.

Oh I have only given up on summer. My hopes are pinned on a short shopping trip to Kent before Christmas. But I will be sad about not seeing "the North" this year. Beyond Cambridge is where I feel happier than in the South. It has been a long time since I was in your neck of the woods. One of these days I will make it to Bath. I know, I know, just need to see the Baths and the Crescent once in my life, will not stay overnight there I think. I have turned into a small-town loving girl.

As I have so much time on my hands, perhaps I will start that campaign that has been on my mind for years: lobbying for a Eurotunnel car connection straight from Calais to York so that I do not need to go through the Dartford Tunnel in a car.

notamermaid