Four Cruises and Counting....

JamieLogical

First off, I miss you guys! I can't wait for cruising to restart so I can be active on these forums again!

Secondly, we got the notification this week that our January sailing has been canceled. That makes four canceled cruises for me so far. I was scheduled to do B2B sailings on the Bliss back on March 15 and 22. The first leg I was going by myself and the second leg, my SO, my parents, and my brother and sister-in-law were supposed to join me. Then I was scheduled for a September sailing to Alaska on my first Princess cruise. And now, my January sailing to the Southern Caribbean on the Getaway has been canceled.

Next up we are scheduled for a May 9th sailing on the Joy to Bermuda. I think the chances of that one happening are fairly low right now. We are both only 41 (will be 42 by May) and don't have any documented pre-existing conditions, so we are both low on the list for getting access to the vaccine. I am hopeful about estimates that anyone who wants a vaccine will have access by June at least. I loath the idea of sailing in the summer months when temps are high, prices are high, and kids are out of school, but beggars can't be choosers.

We will keep an eye open for good deals later in May or sometime in June, but realistically, we might not sail again until our currently scheduled re-do of our Princess sailing to Alaska in September. 😪

I hope all of you are staying safe! Looking forward to active forums again in the near future!

• Like 5

Awwww Jamie that stinks.  We've lost 2 cruises so far (November, and Next Feb 28).

I have diabetes and another condition that make me high risk so I am not cruising until I have a vaccine and I can't count on it before June so I am shopping to make a deposit in early 2022, and will let conditions determine if it's safe to book a last minute cruise late 2021 (avoiding hurricane season, since we had 2 cruises wrecked by hurricanes.)

9 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Awwww Jamie that stinks.  We've lost 2 cruises so far (November, and Next Feb 28).

I have diabetes and another condition that make me high risk so I am not cruising until I have a vaccine and I can't count on it before June so I am shopping to make a deposit in early 2022, and will let conditions determine if it's safe to book a last minute cruise late 2021 (avoiding hurricane season, since we had 2 cruises wrecked by hurricanes.)

Hey Bill.  Hope you and the family are well.

Even if it is June...or even slightly later...before everyone has access to a safe vaccine I look at that as a positive. You just know that the cruise lines will make it a requirement. (Rightfully so IMHO) At least now the cruise lines can see the light at the end of the tunnel and should be able to (hopefully) avoid bankruptcy.

We have missed out on 2 cruises so far and won't even consider booking anything else until there is way more certainty. I also have similar underlying conditions as many but am willing to go once the vaccine has been received and required. 

To @JamieLogical and @Pelican Bill saying hello from one of your neighbors in the Roc 🙂

• Like 3

I was on the same Getaway cruise in January  so that makes it #3 cancelled for me.  I had the same cruise next certif returned twice and it is expiring in March 2021.  The CN dept said they would extend it once for up to 24 months if I  book another cruise by that date.  Except the prices of cruises in 2022 and 2023 are outrageous.   Maybe  when this 30% off sale is over prices will come down.

16 minutes ago, Red-Sol said:

Even if it is June...or even slightly later...before everyone has access to a safe vaccine I look at that as a positive. You just know that the cruise lines will make it a requirement. (Rightfully so IMHO) At least now the cruise lines can see the light at the end of the tunnel and should be able to (hopefully) avoid bankruptcy.

We have missed out on 2 cruises so far and won't even consider booking anything else until there is way more certainty. I also have similar underlying conditions as many but am willing to go once the vaccine has been received and required. 

To @JamieLogical and @Pelican Bill saying hello from one of your neighbors in the Roc 🙂

I agree that the vaccine is likely to be a requirement for sailing. It would make everything that much easier for the cruise lines and allow sailings to operate pretty "normally", versus all of the precautions they might have to take around testing, masking, social distancing, disinfecting, etc. Since I will probably be at the "back of the line" due to my age and lack of pre-existing conditions, that might mean I have to wait a little longer to sail than those who might get earlier access. Trust and believe that I will be the FIRST in line once it's my turn!

I don't really anticipate cruise lines operating before the vaccine is widely available at this point. The vaccine will be rolling out to some in a matter of weeks. Sailings on most NCL ships have already been canceled through March 31. It just doesn't make sense to put in temporary measures like sailing at reduced capacity, rapid testing at ports, requiring masks, not allowing self-service at buffets, and the myriad other precautions originally laid out to re-open cruising for just a month or two when the vaccine is the simple solution. Hang on until May, when enough people will be vaccinated that you can reasonably start filling your ships without the added expense and hassle of the additional precautions.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Maybe  when this 30% off sale is over prices will come down.

I have mentioned this in other threads but I believe prices will come down once there is certainty about cruising. Everyone thinks there is a lot of pent up demand for cruising and therefore prices will need to go up. While I am sure that there is pent up demand from the likes of us on CruiseCritic there's lots of other people out there that have probably been scared off for good and won't be coming back. Time will tell but I am not sure that there will be an explosive number of bookings that the cruise lines will be able to easily fill their ships once it is safe to do so. If my guess is right prices will need to come down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

First off, I miss you guys! I can't wait for cruising to restart so I can be active on these forums again!

Secondly, we got the notification this week that our January sailing has been canceled. That makes four canceled cruises for me so far. I was scheduled to do B2B sailings on the Bliss back on March 15 and 22. The first leg I was going by myself and the second leg, my SO, my parents, and my brother and sister-in-law were supposed to join me. Then I was scheduled for a September sailing to Alaska on my first Princess cruise. And now, my January sailing to the Southern Caribbean on the Getaway has been canceled.

Next up we are scheduled for a May 9th sailing on the Joy to Bermuda. I think the chances of that one happening are fairly low right now. We are both only 41 (will be 42 by May) and don't have any documented pre-existing conditions, so we are both low on the list for getting access to the vaccine. I am hopeful about estimates that anyone who wants a vaccine will have access by June at least. I loath the idea of sailing in the summer months when temps are high, prices are high, and kids are out of school, but beggars can't be choosers.

We will keep an eye open for good deals later in May or sometime in June, but realistically, we might not sail again until our currently scheduled re-do of our Princess sailing to Alaska in September. 😪

I hope all of you are staying safe! Looking forward to active forums again in the near future!

We’ve had seven cruises canceled. Three on NCL including a Joy Haven suite Panama Canal cruise and four on MSC (all Yacht club suites). I predicted when this whole thing started, that it would probably be fall 2021 before cruises started again. Unfortunately, I might be right.

I can't wait for cruising to restart so I can be active on these forums again!

Looking forward to active forums again in the near future!

You don't have to wait for cruising to restart to be active on these forums again. We're all active now. With cruising shut down, these forums are the closest thing to cruising we've got.

Come on back and be active on these forums now (just a suggestion, not a demand).

5 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

I look at the vaccine as positive too. Wheneverrrrrrrr it is available. I am waiting patiently for everything to fall into place.

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

I look at the vaccine as positive too. Wheneverrrrrrrr it is available. I am waiting patiently for everything to fall into place.

Hi Arzeena!

I believe it is the only thing that can save the types of cruises that we all love and want to get back to. And more importantly it will save countless numbers of lives! At least for me I will be paying very close attention as to when it will be my turn...whenever it is I will be there! 🙂

16 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

Hi Arzeena!

I believe it is the only thing that can save the types of cruises that we all love and want to get back to. And more importantly it will save countless numbers of lives! At least for me I will be paying very close attention as to when it will be my turn...whenever it is I will be there! 🙂

👍

Let's also hope Gov MoMo and his knights of the North East Table don't bang their pots and kettles too much and let things on the vaccine front move smooth and fast.