Is John Heald warning us or was this a simple mistake?

asalligo

On 12/28/2020 at 7:55 AM, asalligo said:

I know I am reaching, but this stuck out to me this morning. Carnival filed bankruptcy in 2012. 

Quote from his post:

So please can ask or a dollop more patience from you and once we kick off the new year I am sure the beards will tell me exactly what will be happening as we bring cruising and bring the fun back to you as soon as possible.

After this bastard of a year, the year 2012 tried so hard to be I realised this morning I must not get irritated by silly little things. Yep, I must summon my inner Elsa and “ let it go.”

If Carnival was going to File bankruptcy he would be one of the last to know.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So....you're not giving me much incentive to "buy & hold".  "Earnings" are in a distant future...much farther out that "sailings".

I don't believe you thought earnings and dividends would be restored in the near future, but I did give you hope that the shareholder OBC will be renewed.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I don't believe you thought earnings and dividends would be restored in the near future, but I did give you hope that the shareholder OBC will be renewed.

The shareholder credit isn't very much of an incentive.  If you own 100 shares or 1000 shares, the credit is limited to $100 OBC.  But, if you own those 1000 shares and the price moves up by $1, you get the $1000!  OBC is "Marketing 101".

I'm good with the "it dips...I buy" and "it pops...I sell"  during this period of chaos.

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So....you're not giving me much incentive to "buy & hold".  "Earnings" are in a distant future...much farther out that "sailings".

Carnival is still trading at below book value but it isn't without risk.

25 minutes ago, MsTabbyKats said:

The shareholder credit isn't very much of an incentive.  If you own 100 shares or 1000 shares, the credit is limited to $100 OBC.  But, if you own those 1000 shares and the price moves up by $1, you get the $1000!  OBC is "Marketing 101".

I'm good with the "it dips...I buy" and "it pops...I sell"  during this period of chaos.

Actually for a longer cruise you get $250. Also there is no limit how many times you can use it.

Plus you do not get that $1000 (less commission) until you sell it.

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Actually for a longer cruise you get $250. Also there is no limit how many times you can use it.

Plus you do not get that $1000 (less commission) until you sell it.

I'm not talking about unrealized gains....and I don't pay commissions, so I'd get my money!

In any case, the dividends were a good incentive...OBC just a marketing tool.  When times were good, it was a good marketing tool.  But, take into account....no ships are sailing.  Nobody, not even the diehards on this forum know when ships will sail.  So, is there a point for a credit that may never happen? The potential for $100 OBC, imho, is not a good reason to buy or to hold.

3 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I'm not talking about unrealized gains....and I don't pay commissions, so I'd get my money!

In any case, the dividends were a good incentive...OBC just a marketing tool.  When times were good, it was a good marketing tool.  But, take into account....no ships are sailing.  Nobody, not even the diehards on this forum know when ships will sail.  So, is there a point for a credit that may never happen? The potential for $100 OBC, imho, is not a good reason to buy or to hold.

You did not write UNREALIZED in your first post on the topic.

Yes it was nice when the rate of dividend doubled while we had the stock. But, we can only hope they can pay dividends sometime in the future. OTOH, if they start to sail again we can know if the shareholders OBC is still viable.

58 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You did not write UNREALIZED in your first post on the topic.

Yes it was nice when the rate of dividend doubled while we had the stock. But, we can only hope they can pay dividends sometime in the future. OTOH, if they start to sail again we can know if the shareholders OBC is still viable.

Sorry....selling it to make $1000 was implied.

1 hour ago, ericr said:
The company is reverting to unsecured bonds after reaching a cap on the amount of its fleet backing debt

The article seems to have a certain slant to it. Allow me to fix that. Carnival is having no trouble borrowing money with no collateral, at interest rates substantially lower than the earlier, higher interest, secured loans. Hmmmm.

Carnival still has 8 billion in cash.