Edge/Apex Blu dining question

phoenix_dream

This is likely answered on the boards somewhere, but darned if I can find it easily.

If you are AQ and assigned to Blu, can you try one of the four main dining room restaurants sometimes?  I am asking because we currently have an Apex cruise planned for late November.  Considering adding another cruise after for a B2B.  Our first sailing is in Blu, as we normally book AQ category and are very happy with Blu.  But I am wondering if I am missing out by not changing to a different type of balcony cabin for the second leg so I can try some of the other dining areas (besides specialty; I'm talking the main dining rooms).   I hate the idea of changing cabins, but having never sailed Edge class before I am wondering if we would be remiss if we failed to be able to try the standard dining options?  I know on other ships you can talk to your Maître d and he/she can usually get you into the main dining room if you wish on occasion (dining with friends, or so on).  Is that still possible on Edge class?  I was wondering if it was more difficult to do that as some of the restaurants may be more in demand than others.  I realize that one of the main perks of AQ is Blu, and I may be paying a little more for a restaurant I may use less, but the perk of not changing cabins, as well as the perk of being able to enjoy breakfast in Blu is appealing.  TIA for your input.

6 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Blu on Edge is very occupied usually, so the receptionist in Blu will happily arrange a dinner for you in the other 4 main restaurants.

That may differ based on when you go.  On our sailing we would arrive at Blu around 8:15.  Never a wait and the dining room was only around 1/2 full. 

We were Aqua on Summit, not Edge or Apex, but we had dinner every night at 6:15 in Blu.    At that point in the evening, we always got the same table and servers, and never had a wait.   When we left around 7:30-7:45, there were always people waiting.

As for dining in other locations, including the MDR, the maître d' would gladly arrange seating for you.    We were able to get anything from the MDR menu served to us in Blu each night also if we wished.   Now with the 4 different style restaurants  on Edge and Apex, that may be a little different.

Hope this helps some.

16 minutes ago, zdad59 said:

We were Aqua on Summit, not Edge or Apex, but we had dinner every night at 6:15 in Blu.    At that point in the evening, we always got the same table and servers, and never had a wait.   When we left around 7:30-7:45, there were always people waiting.

As for dining in other locations, including the MDR, the maître d' would gladly arrange seating for you.    We were able to get anything from the MDR menu served to us in Blu each night also if we wished.   Now with the 4 different style restaurants  on Edge and Apex, that may be a little different.

Hope this helps some.

On EDGE and soon the APEX, if you dine in Luminae, because of the distance from the MDR's you cannot order from those menus, IDK though about Blu

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LGW59 said:

On EDGE and soon the APEX, if you dine in Luminae, because of the distance from the MDR's you cannot order from those menus, IDK though about Blu

Blu is also a long way from from the kitchen for the 4 MDRs on Edge.  

Blu on Edge can get crowded and you may have to wait a while if you like to eat between 6:30 and 7:15. You can make arrangements to eat in a regular dining room most any evening you wish upon request.

12 hours ago, tnt10 said:

Just curious, if you are in a suite and assigned to Luminae, is there a problem eating in one of the four MRR's?

(This would be on the Edge or Apex.....)

Not a problem if you ask in advance.

6 hours ago, markf said:

not sure why you would want to.

i understand you can get ay dish from the main dining room menu at BLU.

You will find service more attentive in Blu, with a better menu

From what I've read on this post, (I believe), you are only able to get dishes from the MDR's in Blu or Luminae if you order ahead since the MDR kitchens are so far away....

8 hours ago, markf said:

Not on Edge/Apex...

Plus, the 4 dining room concept (menu/size etc.) is completely different from other ships.

As mentioned above we didn’t miss Blu at all on Edge - despite being huge fans of Aqua and Blu on any other ship.

Edited by Miaminice

16 hours ago, markf said:

The reason I might want to is that I have never sailed this class of ship before, and I find the concept of different MDR restaurants interesting.  I would already have eaten at Blu on the entire cruise before (talking about adding a second cruise for a B2B).  I normally sail AQ and love Blu, but not sure I will be fond of the Edge class ships (although I might love them) so wondering if I am missing out if I don't at least try one or more of the various MDR restaurants.

We had 2 diff cruises on EDGE..each very enjoyable.

First Time on EDGE we were in AQ Class with Blu/ Thermal Suites. We never had a line at BLU  b/c we dine early but we disliked the out of the way location of BLU , lack of any view and terrible acoustics at dinner .they may have solved some of that since then ...???   Food  and waitstaff were very good  but the  kitchen was very slow for dinner meals! Breakfast was a highlight! We have always chosen  BLU but thought we would change it up in the future, based on our EDGE experience.

Second  Time  on EDGE, we  booked a  SV and 4 mdr plan..We enjoyed  that very much ..We eat early so never a line and no crowds.  Great window sunset  views and excellent service.  Favs were Tuscan and Cyprus..they are smaller, but each mdr had nice decor and great menus, food and service.  We missed Blu for breakfast but managed well in mdrs, and other spots.

If you could experience both, it might be worth switching rms..BLU menu stays the same!   Have fun!

Having sailed on the edge, suite class, We dined a couple of times in the regular dining rooms.  It was wonderful!  They have four dining rooms and I would really recommend anytime dining so you can go to all four.  The suite dining room Luminea was okay- but not great.

Had friends in AQ, who said Blu was a mess.  The dining room is poorly located- and you might actually be sitting next to a crowded hallway- location not the same as M or S class ships. Also food according to them was Meh.  Save your money and book a balcony cabin- best aft so you get a true balcony and use anytime dining and try a few sp restaurants with the money saved.