No Cruise Tourism to Cayman Islands Before 2022?

Formula280SS

It's just a matter of time for the various islands, and typical, traditional cruise ports of call, to be determining when cruise ships will be allowed to return.  The linked article is not a law or regulation, rather information during an interview.  However, from the mouth of the Premier are words worth noting.  Looks like a lot of private islands are in the future for 2020 cruises.  

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/24185-no-cruise-tourism-to-cayman-islands-before-2022-government.html

No Cruise Tourism to Cayman Islands Before 2022 – Government

January 12, 2021

:-)  Those "billions of dollars" belong to people, most of whom don't live on island.  There are no taxes, so the government has no access to any of that.

What it does have is a very active financial sector, with businesses paying their registration fees, and paying employees to work for them on island, and those employees buys groceries, go to restaurants and bars, etc, because they don't need to wear masks or practice social distancing because there has been no community spread of the virus in months.

They have talked about what it's going to take to get overnight visitors to come again.  To do this they want their own population to be vaccinated, especially those that are routinely in contact with tourists, to have everyone visiting the island be vaccinated and to have a negative PCR test 72 hours before arrival.  There will be additional tests once a guest is on island, too.  They are talking about maybe having this start late Spring.

I think that for the cruise visitors it's going to depend on a lot of factors that Cayman can't control, including the spread of the virus in other countries, where the visitors will come from.  Are cruise ships going to provide routine PCR testing on board?  Too many variables, I would say.

• 1 month later...

Interesting to see that our May 15th voyage on the Caribbean Princess still shows that there is a stop at Grand Cayman.  Even though it's listed in the itinerary with excursions and port timing information regarding having tenders to go ashore, the map of the itinerary doesn't show that stop, rather it shows a stop in Costa Maya instead, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what the real situation is.

On 3/4/2021 at 5:32 AM, Grego said:

Interesting to see that our May 15th voyage on the Caribbean Princess still shows that there is a stop at Grand Cayman.  Even though it's listed in the itinerary with excursions and port timing information regarding having tenders to go ashore, the map of the itinerary doesn't show that stop, rather it shows a stop in Costa Maya instead, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what the real situation is.

May 2021?  I can guarantee you’re not stopping in Grand Cayman.  There’s only a slim chance the border will be open for flights by then, and they’ve said cruises definitely won’t return any time soon.  And that’s if your cruise actually even sails at all.

May 2022?  Maybe.  You’ve got a much better chance, but it’s by no means guaranteed.  There’s a lot of opposition to cruise stops, and the covid situation has made it worse, as far as I can tell from reading news reports and the comments on them.  The new port idea has been scrapped, and even its strongest supporters in govt seem to have backtracked on the idea.  Then again, there’s an election going on, so people will say whatever they think will help them gain votes.

3 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

May 2021?  I can guarantee you’re not stopping in Grand Cayman.  There’s only a slim chance the border will be open for flights by then, and they’ve said cruises definitely won’t return any time soon.  And that’s if your cruise actually even sails at all.

May 2022?  Maybe.  You’ve got a much better chance, but it’s by no means guaranteed.  There’s a lot of opposition to cruise stops, and the covid situation has made it worse, as far as I can tell from reading news reports and the comments on them.  The new port idea has been scrapped, and even its strongest supporters in govt seem to have backtracked on the idea.  Then again, there’s an election going on, so people will say whatever they think will help them gain votes.

First of all, it's not if our cruise actually even sails as you say, there are plenty of other scheduled sailings following that which we have the luxury of booking the next one out when that happens.

The real issue is one of the Cayman government doesn't really need to have cruise commerce to return any time soon.  Their economy can survive without the influx of people that may or may not bring any health issues to their fair island.

Having been to Grand Cayman many times during our 45 cruise history with Princess, I do enjoy making a brief walkabout in the city and visiting some of the shops, like Kay's Jewelry to meet our friends there, but if we can't stop there and the itinerary changes to another port such as Costa Maya then we would be just as happy with that.

It's all about being on the ship on the open ocean and the arrival and departures from the various ports.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 6/12/2021 at 9:19 AM, MississippiMom said:

Anyone have “inside” scoop on Grand Cayman and cruise ships?

We are scheduled to port there the last week of December 2021.

Don’t hold your breath.  They haven’t even opened the borders for air travel yet, and have no reopening date for when vaccinated travelers can visit without a lengthy quarantine.  I doubt any cruises will stop in Cayman in 2021.

30 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Don’t hold your breath.  They haven’t even opened the borders for air travel yet, and have no reopening date for when vaccinated travelers can visit without a lengthy quarantine.  I doubt any cruises will stop in Cayman in 2021.

Thanks!

We have been to Grand Cayman on two previous cruises, so it won't really hurt my feelings, if we don't go.  However, I hope that Royal Caribbean will arrange a replacement port stop and that it doesn't just turn into another Sea Day.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried making a reservation with a Grand Cayman tour operator for a November 2021 stop and they told me they are not taking reservations as they are expecting no cruise guests until at least 2022.

Disney had some Grand Cayman stops scheduled for August but those have all had an itinerary change.

The best I can tell is that the Carnival Vista's September 8th stop would be the first scheduled cruise ship stop to Grand Cayman that has not been reschedule yet.

3 hours ago, NightOne said:

Just tried making a reservation with a Grand Cayman tour operator for a November 2021 stop and they told me they are not taking reservations as they are expecting no cruise guests until at least 2022.

Disney had some Grand Cayman stops scheduled for August but those have all had an itinerary change.

The best I can tell is that the Carnival Vista's September 8th stop would be the first scheduled cruise ship stop to Grand Cayman that has not been reschedule yet.

The tour operators know what they are talking about.  At this point, I’ll be amazed if they’re open for even vaccinated air tourists by that November cruise date.  There’s no way they’re open to cruisers in September. 

• Like 1

https://cfwfoodtruck.company.site/?fbclid=IwAR3oMKICalSCVR-lEVBdKSahDmm2j75uUyvosIyuMaDqptadpvx2fwEaWEQ

from the 8 July 2021 article above

Phase 3 could then see limited tourism return from 9 September. A set of information slides released by government to accompany the speech indicates that this phase is “subject to the achievement of an 80% vaccination rate”.

At that point, the premier said tourism would be restricted through a flight ‘slot management system’ to limit the number of people arriving, and allow government and industry to build capacity for dealing with visitors in the new environment. A five-day quarantine requirement will remain in place at this phase but the restrictions on non-essential travel will be lifted.

Phase 4, slated for 14 October, would see quarantine requirements removed for all vaccinated travellers, and phase 5, scheduled for 18 November, would mean children under 12 could travel with vaccinated adult tourists.

Subject to an assessment of the local and international COVID-19 situation, further relaxations of travel restrictions, including the possible reintroduction of cruise tourism, will be considered from 27 January next year.

• Like 1

The only caveat I will add to the info on the Reopening plan is that it is dependent on continued vaccine uptake by residents, which has almost completely stalled.  

Government wants 80% vaccinated by the start of the plan, and they are currently around 63% I think.  One of the local papers calculated they’d need 210 people vaccinated a day to reach the goal in time, and the current rate is under 50 a day.

Not sure what plan B the government has, or if they will go ahead with the reopening even if they don’t reach their vaccination goals.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twins_to_alaska said:

https://cfwfoodtruck.company.site/?fbclid=IwAR3oMKICalSCVR-lEVBdKSahDmm2j75uUyvosIyuMaDqptadpvx2fwEaWEQ

from the 8 July 2021 article above

Phase 3 could then see limited tourism return from 9 September. A set of information slides released by government to accompany the speech indicates that this phase is “subject to the achievement of an 80% vaccination rate”.

At that point, the premier said tourism would be restricted through a flight ‘slot management system’ to limit the number of people arriving, and allow government and industry to build capacity for dealing with visitors in the new environment. A five-day quarantine requirement will remain in place at this phase but the restrictions on non-essential travel will be lifted.

Phase 4, slated for 14 October, would see quarantine requirements removed for all vaccinated travellers, and phase 5, scheduled for 18 November, would mean children under 12 could travel with vaccinated adult tourists.

Subject to an assessment of the local and international COVID-19 situation, further relaxations of travel restrictions, including the possible reintroduction of cruise tourism, will be considered from 27 January next year.

Sadly, it looks like not until at LEAST 2022 is correct when it comes to cruise passengers.

Edited by NightOne

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 4:32 AM, twins_to_alaska said:

I want the key lime pie in a jar --- not sure where it's available but doesn't seem to be Grand Cayman. Maybe Fort Lauderdale? I'll be there a few days b4 my December cruise unless Princess cancels it

On 7/20/2021 at 8:01 PM, Aplmac said:

Caymans are right up there

when it comes to regional vaccination statistics!

Sounds like it could be a fairly safe island society to interact with

when you eventually get to go ashore!

Stats.jpg

Great information.  I have written to them asking for a link to further updates regarding the vaccination progress..

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I am on the Celebrity Edge Thanksgiving Cruise.  I've been reading about Grand Cayman not accepting cruises until 2022.  I have called Celebrity twice and they have said it's still on the itinerary.  I'm not sure why they would continue to say this when clearly they are not permitted to go there.  I've heard about Costa Maya as a replacement for other cruises, but Costa Maya is already one of our stops.  If anyone has any clue what Celebrity may do, thanks for that info.  

5 hours ago, Fun Loving said:

I am on the Celebrity Edge Thanksgiving Cruise.  I've been reading about Grand Cayman not accepting cruises until 2022.  I have called Celebrity twice and they have said it's still on the itinerary.  I'm not sure why they would continue to say this when clearly they are not permitted to go there.  I've heard about Costa Maya as a replacement for other cruises, but Costa Maya is already one of our stops.  If anyone has any clue what Celebrity may do, thanks for that info.  

Not sure where you’re going, but you are right that it won’t be Cayman.  I’ll be amazed if they’ve even dropped the extensive quarantine for tourists flying in by then.

17 hours ago, Fun Loving said:

Our November 6th voyage on the Emerald Princess had Grand Cayman on the itinerary but replaced it with Grand Turk over a month ago and just flipped the stop with Falmouth, Jamaica because of the issue being able to stop in the Caymans.