Gluten free diet while on HAL

skidroe

You should contact the department (someone else will provide the name) at HAL for this sort of request in advance. There are some gluten free options on menus, but I suspect you would prefer a more comprehensive selection. I wouldn't wait until you get on board, but once on board, you should probably reconfirm with the Dining Room Manager or Maitre 'd that arrangements have been made.

• Like 1

I agree with CruiserBruce.  I don't think you will have a problem finding gluten free options on all the menus.  And if you booked through a TA or PCC they should be able to do the leg work for you and request your preference and then reconfirm on board.

• Like 1

On your first night, you will receive the menu from your waiter for the following evening to select and alert the kitchen to make your choice gluten free.  HAL is very accommodating.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 4

I am celiac, and never had a problem with a gluten free menu on HAL. Getting assigned dining is your best bet. You want your waiters to know you. The first night, order gluten free options from the menu, and let your waiter know your dietary needs. At dessert time, he will bring you a paper copy of the next days menu, and you mark your choice. The chef will prepare you a gluten free version of your choice, and it will be served to you the next day automatically. They will even bring you a special basket of GF bread!

We've done cruises up to 80 days long with no problems.
The Lido has a wide variety of gluten free options, including pastas and made to order sandwiches. The Dive Inn usually has GF hamburger and hot dog buns available.

The same applies to any special diet. You can let them know ahead of time when you book or check in, but I’ve never found the information finds it’s way to the ship.

• Like 4

I once met a gentleman who was on a strict  liquid diet for the first week of the cruise. The ship complied and prepared the shakes for him, several times a day. I thought this was a wonderful thing for them to do. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I am celiac, and never had a problem with a gluten free menu on HAL. Getting assigned dining is your best bet. You want your waiters to know you. The first night, order gluten free options from the menu, and let your waiter know your dietary needs. At dessert time, he will bring you a paper copy of the next days menu, and you mark your choice. The chef will prepare you a gluten free version of your choice, and it will be served to you the next day automatically. They will even bring you a special basket of GF bread!

We've done cruises up to 80 days long with no problems.
The Lido has a wide variety of gluten free options, including pastas and made to order sandwiches. The Dive Inn usually has GF hamburger and hot dog buns available.

The same applies to any special diet. You can let them know ahead of time when you book or check in, but I’ve never found the information finds it’s way to the ship.

I am also Celiac and this has been my experience on all my HAL, Princess and Carnival cruises. The main thing is to inform HAL Special Services and/or go to the Maitre 'd and make sure they have you flagged gluten free.  Also let your waitstaff know right away when you are seated.  The Lido is a bit trickier but many options and gluten free breads are usually marked. You can also get gluten free bread in the dining room or the deli or grill. Be warned: The gluten free bread isn't the greatest. Otherwise the rest of the menus with gluten free marked or entrees made special for you are VERY good. A waiter or Asst. Maitre'd will give you the next nights menu and you can choose what you'll have. If it can be made gluten free they will.

Have a great cruise and don't worry. You will gain weight. 🙂 

Edited by MMastell
  • Like 1

Some folks have to eat GF or they have real problems (even if they are not Celiac). Generally, your lunch and dinner on the first day will require some thought however after that you'll be given the next day's menu and the kitchen will ensure that you're OK. As mentioned - they even do some good GF bread/rolls. Breakfast on the Lido is also usually pretty easy: plenty of fruit, they do have stations that can prepare GF pancakes/waffles. There may also be GF English muffins. In the past you were asked to let them know prior to sailing, we didn't have to do that in 2019 (and we didn't sail last year). Even the specialty restaurants can usually handle making adjustments to their offerings. Enjoy!

• Like 1

I don’t have to eat gluten free, but I have a shellfish allergy.  HAL handles special diets beautifully.  In the Lido at lunch I can ask the chef to use a clean pan to cook my pasta because they can cook shellfish before me.  My table mates always love that I get the next evening’s menu the night before.

Since I developed this allergy, I have always have had great,  very sensitive waiters who catered to my allergy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

When eating gluten makes you sick and ruins the cruise, following a gluten free diet is easy.

A glutton free diet, on the other hand, is a different story. I still haven’t managed that one on land or at sea.😂

Haha! 

but yea You’d be surprised to see what ppl eat despite it making them sick

• Like 1