Ruby Princess

Ondine

5 hours ago, Kinkacruiser said:

As we boarded, I was very concerned that a number of staff and crew were wearing face masks. Alarm bells were definitely ringing, especially so that boarding was delayed due to deep cleaning until 6pm.

We were among the lucky ones , but are reluctant to book anything too soon.

I should add that on disembarkation day, our steward was very nervous about 'something'. I'm sure a lot of staff and crew knew something was very wrong.

Hi, Anna...Your observations and thoughts are much the same as my friend David from down here, he ended up in hospital  and quarantine.  Princess HQ may have ordered Ruby to sail, irrespective of the Captain's and Ship's Doctor's opinion. The dollar often reigneth supreme.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Hi, Anna...Your observations and thoughts are much the same as my friend David from down here, he ended up in hospital  and quarantine.  Princess HQ may have ordered Ruby to sail, irrespective of the Captain's and Ship's Doctor's opinion. The dollar often reigneth supreme.

Couldn't agree more, Les. Hope you're keeping well 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kinkacruiser said:

Couldn't agree more, Les. Hope you're keeping well 🙂

Not really Anna, been tough the last year, losing the 'boss.' 

Stay safe and well, up there in Yeppoon.

Edited by NSWP

5 hours ago, Kinkacruiser said:
On 3/20/2021 at 5:27 PM, robncruise said:

As we boarded, I was very concerned that a number of staff and crew were wearing face masks. Alarm bells were definitely ringing, especially so that boarding was delayed due to deep cleaning until 6pm.

I think one of the worst things about the 8th March, when we debarked at around 11am and you didn’t board until after 4pm was the lack of info. 

Staff would have been wearing masks because NSWH had boarded earlier (we were seen by them) and the staff had been told to use them more. …… arriving passengers would not be aware of that though.

But, we were to be notified if any Covid cases arose from the earlier cruise (ours) and to this date have not been contacted by anyone, cruise line, NSWH or NSW Police.

Pretty sure Covid19 boarded Ruby sometime after 4pm on the 8th March - and I’m pretty sure that the Brett Walker Inquiry agreed with this. That was our world in March 2020 and we didn’t quite know the extent of this Covid.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter who, where or when - it was a very sad day for the people we lost.  

Hindsight is a luxurious window to peer through I think.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Passengers suing Carnival Over Ruby Princess Covid Outbreak get Mediation date.

Refer to article written by Peter Lynch 5th May 2021 in Cruise Passenger Magazine, see attached link

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/princess-bids-to-block-overseas-passengers-from-class-action-in-landmark-australian-case/

Cheers 

CRUISING ALONG

• 3 weeks later...

Lawyers Claim Carnival Will Say Passengers Aboard Ruby Princess “Failed To Take Reasonable Care”

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/lawyers-claim-carnival-may-say-passengers-aboard-ruby-princess-failed-to-take-reasonable-care/

This is the latest update written by Peter Lynch  for Cruise Passenger Magazine 25th May 2021

Cheers

CRUISING ALONG

It would be quite true if they used the word "some" in that headline. One woman openly admitted on TV that she didn't go to the Medical Centre and I suspect quite a few others didn't either. I don't necessarily blame them as, at that point in time, the reality of Covid was just starting to sink in. Most people manage flus and colds without needing medical treatment. However if those same people are lining up in the class action expecting a big payout then I hope they don't get a cent.

• Like 4

Here is the 'background' on the Shine Lawyers website about the Ruby Princess class action.

On Sunday 8 March 2020, the Ruby Princess cruise ship departed Circular Quay.

Passengers were not informed that there were 158 cases of people with coronavirus-like symptoms logged on the previous voyage, and they were also not informed of the potential risks they faced of coronavirus on the cruise. Further, no adequate steps appear to have been taken to adequately protect passengers whilst on the cruise.

After an 11-day round trip to New Zealand, the ship docked in Sydney on Thursday 19 March. Ruby Princess passengers were permitted to disembark at Sydney’s Circular Quay and return to their homes.

I can't see the relevance of the fact that 158 people on the previous cruise had 'coronavirus-like symptoms' - it wasn't COVID.

The next claim - that 'the passengers were not informed of the potential risks they faced of coronavirus on the cruise'. Hello! Where had these people been that they hadn't heard of coronavirus? We were on a cruise exactly two weeks earlier and were very conscious of coronavirus.

The next claim - that 'no adequate steps appear to have been taken to adequately protect passengers'. On that cruise two weeks earlier, we were given notices daily about health precautions and new up-dates from the Aust Health Department. Passengers on the cruise that is the subject of this lawsuit, also confirm that they were given similar notices. 

Passengers permitted to disembark and return to their homes - Permission was given by NSW government departments and Australian Border Force.

• Like 1

We were scheduled to depart Sydney on Voyager of the Sea on 18 March 2020!

RCI cancelled on 16 March 2020.

We lost $1,000 US OBC as it was "promotional" - sucks!!

We were happy to miss that cruise.

Craig 

43 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Here is the 'background' on the Shine Lawyers website about the Ruby Princess class action.

On Sunday 8 March 2020, the Ruby Princess cruise ship departed Circular Quay.

Passengers were not informed that there were 158 cases of people with coronavirus-like symptoms logged on the previous voyage, and they were also not informed of the potential risks they faced of coronavirus on the cruise. Further, no adequate steps appear to have been taken to adequately protect passengers whilst on the cruise.

After an 11-day round trip to New Zealand, the ship docked in Sydney on Thursday 19 March. Ruby Princess passengers were permitted to disembark at Sydney’s Circular Quay and return to their homes.

I can't see the relevance of the fact that 158 people on the previous cruise had 'coronavirus-like symptoms' - it wasn't COVID.

The next claim - that 'the passengers were not informed of the potential risks they faced of coronavirus on the cruise'. Hello! Where had these people been that they hadn't heard of coronavirus? We were on a cruise exactly two weeks earlier and were very conscious of coronavirus.

The next claim - that 'no adequate steps appear to have been taken to adequately protect passengers'. On that cruise two weeks earlier, we were given notices daily about health precautions and new up-dates from the Aust Health Department. Passengers on the cruise that is the subject of this lawsuit, also confirm that they were given similar notices. 

Passengers permitted to disembark and return to their homes - Permission was given by NSW government departments and Australian Border Force.

Princess should sue those passengers! 🤣

Seriously though, I hope the courts deal fairly over this. Although I feel sad for some of those passengers that were affected I still believe Princess did the best they could under the circumstances. The virus spread because of passengers who weren't careful about not coughing and sneezing over others (and I've seen this on a number of cruises) plus it wasn't widely accepted that aerosol transmission was a key factor at that time.

• Like 2

I agree with the points made by AusTraveller and OzkiwiJJ re the Shine class action,

I am also quite concerned that  passengers were automatically opted in unless a passenger formally opted out which took some effort (  had to fill our a form which could not be done on line and given just 2 weeks to do so)  (And  if you wanted to formally register you were able to do it on line) 

.From my experience on the cruise  I personally cannot see how Princess could have done anything more, other than not sail, to prevent the infection that occurred.

Especially and I  wish to reiterate that when we boarded Ruby on 8 March there was absolutely no sign of and Covid precautions in SYDNEY city. From the airport to local hotels to cafes there no sign that Aussies had any awareness of the looming health crisis. 

Yet Princess made sure from the moment we boarded we were instructed  to observe  personal hygiene measures and to  not to engage in personal  contact ie handshaking/ hugging etc  re Covid and were constantly reminded throughout the cruise of the need to maintain these precautions.   I  saw many passengers flagrantly disregarding these instructions.

I also have no recollection of boarding the ship to find crew wearing masks. My only recollection was of the Aust. Immigration officers in the terminal wearing masks and gloves but not the terminal staff or Princess crew.

Also when I departed Australia on 19th March there was NO indication at Sydney International airport  there was a health crisis. No distancing no masks no health checks.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, robncruise said:

I agree with the points made by AusTraveller and OzkiwiJJ re the Shine class action,

I am also quite concerned that  passengers were automatically opted in unless a passenger formally opted out which took some effort (  had to fill our a form which could not be done on line and given just 2 weeks to do so)  (And  if you wanted to formally register you were able to do it on line) 

.From my experience on the cruise  I personally cannot see how Princess could have done anything more, other than not sail, to prevent the infection that occurred.

Especially and I  wish to reiterate that when we boarded Ruby on 8 March there was absolutely no sign of and Covid precautions in SYDNEY city. From the airport to local hotels to cafes there no sign that Aussies had any awareness of the looming health crisis. 

Yet Princess made sure from the moment we boarded we were instructed  to observe  personal hygiene measures and to  not to engage in personal  contact ie handshaking/ hugging etc  re Covid and were constantly reminded throughout the cruise of the need to maintain these precautions.   I  saw many passengers flagrantly disregarding these instructions.

I also have no recollection of boarding the ship to find crew wearing masks. My only recollection was of the Aust. Immigration officers in the terminal wearing masks and gloves but not the terminal staff or Princess crew.

Also when I departed Australia on 19th March there was NO indication at Sydney International airport  there was a health crisis. No distancing no masks no health checks.  

Thanks for your post. It is interesting to hear from someone (in addition to Brandee) who was on the Ruby cruise.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, robncruise said:

Many people would not differentiate, or be able to differentiate, between staff working in the terminal such as Border Force staff or shore-based security, and Princess crew. They would remember that they saw some people wearing masks, and Hey, Presto, they report that Princess crew were wearing masks and therefore (wow!) they must have known something!!! (That was a sarcastic comment!)

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

#robncruise, thank you very much for your comments. It really does help to get some more accurate perspectives about that cruise. As a regular Princess cruiser I had no doubts that Princess did the very best they could given the circumstances and I've seen for myself how much notice some passengers take of briefings about hygiene onboard ie none.

Interesting that you were automatically included in the class action and had to opt out. That sounds very shonky to me. I wonder how many people are still included in the numbers that don't realise it. Would you consider writing to Princess about that and the rest of your experience? It might be valuable to their lawyers.

Take care, and stay safe.

3 minutes ago, robncruise said:

I am intending to do that but have had difficulty in getting contact details for Corporate Carnival PLC .  Only seem to find Carnival Australia . Maybe someone can help ?

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/index

There are a couple of contact email addresses at the bottom of this webpage so try one or both of those, it might get passed to the right place. Also copy your email to Princess Australia. There might be other useful contacts on the Princess.com website, if so send it there as well.

• 2 months later...

Interesting report by the Inspector General of Biosecurity. He was asked by the Minister to review The department’s handling of its responsibilities.

Seems it does not paint a pretty picture of the Ruby, or for years before.

Perhaps why it was released in April, but no one kne about it.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-24/report-finds-federal-government-failings-ruby-princess-covid-19/100380948

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They had a piece on the report findings on the 7:30 show on the ABC tonight.

No mention made on Princess's role beside a medical log not being up to date on respiratory incidences, there were only 6-8 noro cases listed in the log.

Though it was stated that this should of been picked up by the Biosecurity agent who boarded but they were inexperienced as the ship was classified low risk.

Sent in a junior officer to do what in hindsight a senior officer needed to do.

The most disappointing aspect of this though not surprising is that recommendations made by Bret Walker have not been acted upon nor the Governments own 2018 internal audit of biosecurity for arriving ships.

I wonder if the report on new national policy for disease outbreaks on cruise ships that was under development in 2019 has been finished?

So many issues to be finalised before cruising starts again which at this moment IMO I don't see happening for long while.

44 minutes ago, possum52 said:

ABC article today is interesting - Federal Government Warned About Gaps in Biosecurity

As one thought Leigh....

The motto of our government seams to be 'Too little too late'

nothing like throwing in the towel when thing get hard   ( could be a shortage of towels )

Don.....  remember carry your towel

Towel :-

Within the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy universe, towels are regarded as indispensable equipment for experienced travelers, since they can be put to a wide variety of uses. Consequently, a person who can quickly adapt to virtually any new situation is said to know where their towel is.

• Like 1