Help me choose, please :-) Princess vs. HAL

Mapomp

Hi.  I'll be posting this same question on the HAL board, hopefully that's okay.  I am so missing my cruise this year, hoping to do Panama Canal next January (1/22)  Anyway, it's between Crown Princess with additional stops in Jamaica and Grand Turk in a club class mini suite vs. The Eurodam with additional stops at Aruba and Curacao in a SS.  Eurodam has an extra day, as well.

I don't know why, I just can't choose! I've been on both lines before, but not those ships.

Any help??

Thanks 🙂

I prefer Princess, but I've done two HAL cruises on the Zuiderdam.  I would sail HAL again for the right price and/or itinerary.  Personally, I like the additional stops on HAL.  If the price is close, I'd pick Eurodam.

25 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

Suggest you view the thread, " How does Princess Compare To HAL." Started Jan. 16 by coffeeluvr05. Sorry I don't know how to link that, but I found it on page three just now. Hope this helps!

Thanks, I will.

8 minutes ago, Tak8 said:

I prefer Princess, but I've done two HAL cruises on the Zuiderdam.  I would sail HAL again for the right price and/or itinerary.  Personally, I like the additional stops on HAL.  If the price is close, I'd pick Eurodam.

Thank you.  I like those two stops as well, especially over Jamaica.  

There is one other point that hasn't been addressed here:  That is the transit through the locks.  Eurodam will pass through the old/original locks.  The Crown Princess will use the new locks.  Both will then loiter in Gatun Lake and offer excursions.  So you might do some research about the difference in the locks, and decide which itinerary you prefer.  EM

I don’t know anything about that itinerary but I have been on one HAL cruise and it was on the Eurodam.  We really enjoyed the cabana that we rented for the day on the Lido Deck when we were in the Inside Passage.  I still crave the burgers and the Portabella mushroom sandwich from the Dive-In.  I thought their “Planet Earth” show was amazing and I am super picky.  I think the Carnival Corp. should put that show on every single ship. It was awesome!

15 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

There is one other point that hasn't been addressed here:  That is the transit through the locks.  Eurodam will pass through the old/original locks.  The Crown Princess will use the new locks.  Both will then loiter in Gatun Lake and offer excursions.  So you might do some research about the difference in the locks, and decide which itinerary you prefer.  EM

Thank you.... I didn't know that.  The old locks may seal the deal for my husband.

Mom and I like both lines. I like the extra ports with HAL better, and agree that while the Eurodam is a smaller ship and will do the older locks, I didn't love her.... but that is personal taste as is everything. I like the larger ships. Either way, you will be on the water, so enjoy your trip!!

17 hours ago, scottca075 said:

I like both HAL and Princess, but I prefer Princess. I like their public spaces better. On the Crown specifically I like the Skywalkers Nightclub.

Do read The Path Between The Seas by David McCullough whichever ship you choose.

I defintely will!! Thanks for the recommendation!

We do not care for HAL for various reasons. Princess is our favorite, however, the old looks may be a determining factor. We were on the Coral Princess through the old locks. The onboard narrator was fantastic! 

On 2/2/2021 at 8:35 AM, Mapomp said:

Thank you.... I didn't know that.  The old locks may seal the deal for my husband.

Princess now has only two ships left that can transit the old locks - Island Princess and Coral Princess. We've done the old locks twice on Coral and loved it. I wouldn't do it on Island as I don't like the ship and some of the best viewing areas were taken away for cabins.