Mask recommendations?

RKA posted on another board that Lufthansa now has specific mask requirements (first airline I've seen with this):

"Lufthansa is adapting the obligation to wear mouth-nose covers while travelling. From 1 February 2021, only facemasks of the following standards will be permitted on flights to and from Germany: FFP2, KN95 and N95 standard or surgical masks. These have to be worn during boarding, on board and when leaving the aircraft. Masks made of fabric will no longer be permitted, visors and masks with valves have not been permitted already".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Prime consideration should be personal safety, not comfort or style.

My first consideration is why I am wearing a mask.  That determines what kind of mask I wear.

-- Casual shopping trips to "safe" stores that are not crowded, and employee / customer mask compliance is incorrect wear (under the nose), loose fitting (gaps on the cheeks).  --- here I wear a simple bandanna tied from an oversized farmer handkerchief.  

-- Public gatherings that can't be attended online (voting, government boards, corporate meetings, -- here I wear a vertical fold well sealing KN95 mask without a vent, and large aviator style perscription glasses.

-- Visits to doctor offices, or long term care facilities.  -- a P100 mask with surgical mask material attached over the vent with a silicone O-Ring.  Because they seal around my eyes without blatantly being goggles, I add my motorcycle photogrey sunglasses.

-- Airline travel -- I have a 3-M reusable respirator with two inhalation P100 filters, and a third P100 exhale filter. Here I wear a polycarbonate face shield.

All four meet or exceed the letter and the spirit of government and medical recommendations for masking.  

I'm not looking for fashion or comfort, I'm mitigating risk.  The first situation is very low risk, and I'm more interested in social compliance and conservative fashion.  It doesn't really matter what I wear as long as it somewhat blocks whatever inadvertently comes from mouth or nose.

The other 3 are strictly personal protection,  They are increasingly uncomfortable, and increasingly difficult to breath through, but they keep me healthy.  I'm fairly certain I am completely safe in the Airline travel option, because that's what medical pros wear in COVID wards.

We've been wearing masks from Beau Ties.  They come in 3 sizes and are made of fabric with adjustable ear straps, come in 3 layers with a filter pocket and have the metal nose piece to fit the mask comfortably around your nose.  Fantastic fabric designs (the company makes ties and, obviously, bow ties.  When the pandemic started they shifted to also offering face masks that match their various ties.  All are washable and very high quality.  I have about a half dozen and am looking to expand my collection since it looks like we'll be wearing them for quite some time.  They aren't hot to wear and are very comfortable.  They also have a flamingo mask, too ;o)  Have to say that I wear glasses and these have been great.  Rarely any fog on my glasses and they keep my face warm for those walks to work in Boston.

https://www.beautiesltd.com/collections/face-coverings

Otherwise, I would suggest Etsy for other masks at a lower cost if cost is an issue.

We also wear these mask brackets under our masks.  They keep the fabric away from your mouth so it's much more comfortable to wear the mask throughout the day.  I work in a law firm and have to wear my mask whenever I leave my desk.  There are days when I'm sitting at my desk and realize I still have my mask on and didn't realize it since my face was comfortable with the mask bracket.  It makes it much easier to breathe when the mask isn't sitting on your face.

https://www.amazon.com/Protection-Silicone-Breathing-Smoothly-DIY-Accessories/dp/B08H1WXMD4/ref=sr_1_41?dchild=1&keywords=mask+bracket&qid=1612698610&s=beauty&sr=1-41

We wash these daily with dishwashing liquid.

We've also been wearing both the masks and brackets since April last year and have had no problems with wearing either.  I think changing your mask daily and washing the bracket daily is key to this.  Paper masks are fine in a pinch, but in the long run these fabric masks and brackets are better.  I've already decided that once the pandemic is over I will continue to wear the masks during the cold and flu season.  I haven't gotten sick since I started wearing the masks and I commute regularly on the commuter rail into Boston.  Not to mention they keep your face warm on those very cold mornings!

Edited by Teeara
  • Like 2

Just now, notmyrealnameoremail said:

Close, I checked this morning, actually 900. Three ply.  They looked to be standard light blue medical masks.  We want to stock up a bit, but we use about 4 a week.  4 and a half years supply seems . . . excessive.  😁

That’s funny.  I wouldn’t have expected it to be that many. 

We have disposable surgical masks, two different brands, one that is three layers, the other is four layers.  We will wear those when and if cruising ever resumes so that we can throw them away and use a new one, especially if they get sweaty in a hot environment.  We will also only fly with a higher quality mask and will be buying a few of those to have.  When we got influenza A on Anthem, they gave us n95 masks and I had a terrible time breathing with that on, but will see how I do when I am not sick.

We currently use cloth masks at home that are washed, partially dried in dryer and then ironed to kill germs.  We will not have the ability to do that on a ship and do not feel comfortable just hanging it to dry in the cabin.  We are going to start using filters in our cloth masks for added protection with the new virus strains floating around.  We will not use the plastic cage things under our masks as they affect the fit of the mask and can cause gaps.

We are also now checking our cloth masks after they are cleaned as they are getting tired.  I bought some nice ones at Lands End but they are now retired as we can clearly see light through the weave of the fabric.  

• Like 1