Cruise with/without a mask

antsp

1 hour ago, clo said:

My point was that there's no reason to make the point that it costs a lot. "Nice" is good enough to get the point across.

I don't know if it is the difference between Australian English and American English but I don't really agree "high end" and "nice" are interchangeable🤔. If someone says "nice hotel" it doesn't really give me any clue as to what features or services the hotel contains but using the term "high end" I can at least make some assumptions based on previous experience or knowledge. It builds a better picture in your mind than a vague adjective like "nice". 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't know if it is the difference between Australian English and American English but I don't really agree "high end" and "nice" are interchangeable🤔. If someone says "nice hotel" it doesn't really give me any clue as to what features or services the hotel contains but using the term "high end" I can at least make some assumptions based on previous experience or knowledge. It builds a better picture in your mind than a vague adjective like "nice". 

I hear ya. So maybe "lovely"? I don't want "high end" but do want "nice" and "lovely." This poster regularly points out that they spend a LOT of money.

1 minute ago, clo said:

I hear ya. So maybe "lovely"? I don't want "high end" but do want "nice" and "lovely." This poster regularly points out that they spend a LOT of money.

As I said high end for me denotes certain services and facilities. Lovely and nice are descriptions of how a customer might feel about a business but it doesn't give me practical information about the business. You seem to have a some sort aversion to the term "high end" which culturally I can't say I understand. To me "high end" is just practical business term no different to "five star" or "hatted restaurant" 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

As I said high end for me denotes certain services and facilities. Lovely and nice are descriptions of how a customer might feel about a business but it doesn't give me practical information about the business. You seem to have a some sort aversion to the term "high end" which culturally I can't say I understand. To me "high end" is just practical business term no different to "five star" or "hatted restaurant" 

But you see the definition above, right? So that's how I've always interpreted it. I was talking to someone today who stayed in a hotel in Switzerland and the rooms were $1800/nt. "High end."

8 minutes ago, clo said:

But you see the definition above, right? So that's how I've always interpreted it. I was talking to someone today who stayed in a hotel in Switzerland and the rooms were $1800/nt. "High end."

High end usually is above average price but again it proves the term is a more accurate descriptor, as it encapsulates the expectation of price, services and facilities. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

High end usually is above average price but again it proves the term is a more accurate descriptor, as it encapsulates the expectation of price, services and facilities. 

OK

2 hours ago, clo said:

My point was that there's no reason to make the point that it costs a lot. "Nice" is good enough to get the point across.

I do not know how much AI experience you have, but there are huge differences in how higher end AIs operate vs lower cost.  The higher end tend to have lots of real restaurants vs the mass buffets of lower cost.  It is like trying to compare a packed Carnival ship to a Sea Dream vessel. One would expect a higher end place to more easily conform to social distancing as well as enforcing mask guidelines.  We are somewhat shocked that folks here all seem to feel liberated from COVID rules.  Everyone we talked to are from the USA, have been vaccinated, and are also enjoying the liberation from masks and restrictions that seem to make little sense....given the science of vaccinations.   We came here with a good supply of masks and expected more of the usual mitigation measures.  What we have discovered is something akin to pre-COVID times.  Tonight we were around several hundred folks who were laughing, socializing, smiling, laughing, and enjoying life.  While many folks at home continue to live in their locked down world there are other folks who understand that once fully vaccinated it is OK to return to some semblance of normalcy.  

The same can (and should) happen on cruise ships that adopt a mandatory vaccination policy.  The risk on such a ship is very small and our experts refuse to explain why fully vaccinated folks need to act like they have little or no protection.   Their own data says something different but they continue to ignore their data when they dictate recommended policy.  For most of my life I have accepted the health related guidance from our experts. Now, I have lost faith in their dictates which no longer pass the "smell" test.   There is so much wrong with what we are being told that it is difficult to even know where to begin.  I can just imagine the frustration in the offices of cruise line executives as they try to convince agenda driven experts to accept their own data and use some common sense.

Hank

• Like 2

6 hours ago, clo said:

Once he stops his constant political comments I'll definitely ease off.

Almost the textbook definition of passive aggressive.  If you don't like his political comments then contest them or ignore them. But "punishing him" by getting all byatchy because he describes a lifestyle not much different than that you yourself have portrayed here is just non-self-aware and just plain not nice, as passive aggressiveness is generally not nice.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I do not know how much AI experience you have, but there are huge differences in how higher end AIs operate vs lower cost.

Then say "very nice" or "very very nice."

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Would you settle for "courteous", or simply "civilized"?

Not every 21st century development in personal conduct is necessarily an improvement.

My point was regarding the gender-specific word. Men can be that way also.

27 minutes ago, clo said:

My point was regarding the gender-specific word. Men can be that way also.

Fine; then it wasn't very polite. Better? Again, getting back to the topic of cruising with or without masks, and OFF of the sidebar of your preferred terminology and personal dislike of certain other members (which I do not understand; I quite like their input).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clo said:

But I never buy the most expensive.

This is a sign of your lack of self-awareness.  You think that discussing luxury items that the vast majority of people cannot afford is fine, while telling someone else they are bragging for calling an AI high end.  Hate to break it to you but to most people caviar and champagne are high end even when you don't buy the most expensive.  

Not to mention all of your copious references to the high end cruise lines you go on, even if you don't call them high end.  Your horses.  Your RV.  Your condo in Brazil.

You are the last one who should be accusing someone of high hatting it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Hate to break it to you but to most people caviar and champagne are high end even when you don't buy the most expensive.

I have long believed that just about anyone on Cruise Critic is a member of the global 1%.  

20 hours ago, clo said:

I do not know how much AI experience you have, but there are huge differences in how higher end AIs operate vs lower cost.  The higher end tend to have lots of real restaurants vs the mass buffets of lower cost.  It is like trying to compare a packed Carnival ship to a Sea Dream vessel. One would expect a higher end place to more easily conform to social distancing as well as enforcing mask guidelines.  We are somewhat shocked that folks here all seem to feel liberated from COVID rules.  Everyone we talked to are from the USA, have been vaccinated, and are also enjoying the liberation from masks and restrictions that seem to make little sense....given the science of vaccinations.   We came here with a good supply of masks and expected more of the usual mitigation measures.  What we have discovered is something akin to pre-COVID times.  Last evening we were around several hundred folks who were laughing, socializing, smiling, laughing, and enjoying life.  While many folks at home continue to live in their locked down world there are other folks who understand that once fully vaccinated it is OK to return to some semblance of normalcy.   Today, we did not even bother to take masks with us when we left our suite (I guess we should call it a "room" so as not to offend CLO) and have not seen a single mask throughout the expansive complex and grounds.  The staff wear silly shields that probably protect them from bird poop but not much else.  

The same can (and should) happen on cruise ships that adopt a mandatory vaccination policy.  The COVID  risk on such a ship is very small and our experts refuse to explain why fully vaccinated folks need to act like they have little or no protection.   Their own data says something different but they continue to ignore their data when they dictate recommended policy.  For most of my life I have accepted the health related guidance from our experts. Now, I have lost faith in their dictates which no longer pass the "smell" test.   There is so much wrong with what we are being told that it is difficult to even know where to begin.  I can just imagine the frustration in the offices of cruise line executives as they try to convince agenda driven experts to accept their own data and use some common sense.

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

the high end cruise lines you go on,

What on earth would those be? Hurtigruten and Oceania.

You think that discussing luxury items that the vast majority of people cannot afford is fine

People here go on cruises. I could eat the most expensive foods regularly and spend less money.

Your horses.  Your RV.  Your condo in Brazil.

Horses were middle aged, RV is used and the place in Brazil was bought when their market was in the toilet and I see people here who spend more on a cruise than we did on that apt.

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do not know how much AI experience you have, but there are huge differences in how higher end AIs operate vs lower cost.  The higher end tend to have lots of real restaurants vs the mass buffets of lower cost.  It is like trying to compare a packed Carnival ship to a Sea Dream vessel. One would expect a higher end place to more easily conform to social distancing as well as enforcing mask guidelines.  We are somewhat shocked that folks here all seem to feel liberated from COVID rules.  Everyone we talked to are from the USA, have been vaccinated, and are also enjoying the liberation from masks and restrictions that seem to make little sense....given the science of vaccinations.   We came here with a good supply of masks and expected more of the usual mitigation measures.  What we have discovered is something akin to pre-COVID times.  Last evening we were around several hundred folks who were laughing, socializing, smiling, laughing, and enjoying life.  While many folks at home continue to live in their locked down world there are other folks who understand that once fully vaccinated it is OK to return to some semblance of normalcy.   Today, we did not even bother to take masks with us when we left our suite (I guess we should call it a "room" so as not to offend CLO) and have not seen a single mask throughout the expansive complex and grounds.  The staff wear silly shields that probably protect them from bird poop but not much else.  

The same can (and should) happen on cruise ships that adopt a mandatory vaccination policy.  The COVID  risk on such a ship is very small and our experts refuse to explain why fully vaccinated folks need to act like they have little or no protection.   Their own data says something different but they continue to ignore their data when they dictate recommended policy.  For most of my life I have accepted the health related guidance from our experts. Now, I have lost faith in their dictates which no longer pass the "smell" test.   There is so much wrong with what we are being told that it is difficult to even know where to begin.  I can just imagine the frustration in the offices of cruise line executives as they try to convince agenda driven experts to accept their own data and use some common sense.

Hank

Didn't you already write this?

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank - you've posted exactly the same message as previously. Obviously this high end living has got to you!

• Thanks 1