Crew Vaccinations will be required

ipeeinthepool

21 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

I don't see why any country would vaccinate the citizen of another country to enable that person to work on a ship registered in yet another country. Simple as that. A country's residents will surely have to be vaccinated and recorded as such in their own country's health records for the purpose of future boosters to cover new strains etc?

Your post makes little sense when it is broadly reported in the press that illegal migrants housed in 4 star hotels have already been vaccinated here, as has the likes of Rose West as her obesity makes her vulnerable

1 hour ago, emmas gran said:

Your post makes little sense when it is broadly reported in the press that illegal migrants housed in 4 star hotels have already been vaccinated here, as has the likes of Rose West as her obesity makes her vulnerable

It makes sense to vaccinate illegal immigrants to prevent them potentially becoming a burden on the NHS and like it or not, Rose West is a British citizen for whom the authorities have a duty of care.

23 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

I don't see why any country would vaccinate the citizen of another country to enable that person to work on a ship registered in yet another country. Simple as that. A country's residents will surely have to be vaccinated and recorded as such in their own country's health records for the purpose of future boosters to cover new strains etc?

I don't think people necessarily mean that crew will be vaccinated under a country's healthcare system, for example our NHS.  But once the vaccine is more readily available, cruise lines may be able to buy it so they can vaccinate their crew.  

The Royal Group has reportedly said all their crew will be required to have the vaccination before being able to return to work.  Given the number of crew and different nationalities involved, I think the only feasible way of this happening would be for the cruise line to offer vaccination once they are able to obtain supplies.

• Like 2

Plenty of Americans willing to work on cruise ships. I live in Orlando....they could use the jobs.

Start sailing a couple of ships with vaccinated American crew and passengers.

Yes, prices would be higher, but from the interest on this board, they could still make a profit.

It may turn out to be permanent...we just don't know.

• Like 1

"Normalcy" will be new safety procedures in place and all crew & passengers vaccinated.

That has become pretty obvious based on communications to crew members being told they cannot return to work without vaccination documentation, as well as many countries mandating vaccination prior to acceptance at ports and airports.

Despite the moaning and whining by some...the sooner people get used to that reality and conform, the sooner "normalcy" in cruising will happen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

"Normalcy" will be new safety procedures in place and all crew & passengers vaccinated.

That has become pretty obvious based on communications to crew members being told they cannot return to work without vaccination documentation, as well as many countries mandating vaccination prior to acceptance at ports and airports.

Despite the moaning and whining by some...the sooner people get used to that reality and conform, the sooner "normalcy" in cruising will happen.

^^^THIS.

And you deserve this as well:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Plenty of Americans willing to work on cruise ships. I live in Orlando....they could use the jobs.

Yes, prices would be higher, but from the interest on this board, they could still make a profit.

Correct.  There are two problems - there are many jobs on a cruise ship where there are not qualified people.  Other jobs like kitchen prep and cleaning sadly Americans do not want. It also would about triple total wages.  Would Americans be willing to pay an extra $100-200 a day?  No idea.

Where I live looked for a person to help with cleaning MIL home.  They either wanted $20+ an hour or were not legal residents.

7 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

History doesn't mesh with that, unfortunately.  NCL had massive troubles hiring--and more importantly, retaining--US crew members for the 3  (and then only 1) US flagged ships operating in Hawai'i.  Most Americans are not willing to work schedules that include 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week with no days off for 7-9 months.  And to vary that schedule would require even more crew members and more expense.  

This is why it is not unusual to need to pay around $7000 (or $1000 per day) for a basic Balcony cabin for a 7 day cruise on the NCL Pride of America.  I don't think most cruisers are willing to shell out that kind of dough for the typical sailing.

• Like 3