Crew Vaccinations will be required

ipeeinthepool

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Given the uproar over out-of-state over-65 snowbirds getting vaccinated in Florida, including those who own property there and pay taxes, I imagine that any attempt to divert doses to healthy young crew members of foreign flagged cruise ships would not go unopposed. Nevertheless, an interesting proposition.

Currently, agree 100%.  But a few months from now with (presumably) a lot more vaccines approved I could see that changing.  At the very least I can hope🙂

By August every adult in the US could easily be vaccinated.  Not everyone will, of course, 'cause stupidity, but the crew members can certainly be vaccinated by then.  So my guess is by July-ish cruises start up again slowly, with full implementation by October.  

57 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

By August every adult in the US could easily be vaccinated.  Not everyone will, of course, 'cause stupidity, but the crew members can certainly be vaccinated by then.  So my guess is by July-ish cruises start up again slowly, with full implementation by October.  

Wishful thinking - it won't work like that. Crew will likely have to be vaccinated in their individual home countries.

8 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Wishful thinking - it won't work like that. Crew will likely have to be vaccinated in their individual home countries.

Not so sure that I agree with you on this point.  I think the cruise industry will develop a solution working with maybe multiple government programs.  Having the crew fully vaccinated will go along with a return to safe cruising for passengers, crew, and ports.  I personally would feel horrible to cruise as a vaccinated passenger while the poor hardworking crew members remain at risk.  Even if vaccinated I would not cruise a line or ship that does not take care to protect its crew first.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Given the uproar over out-of-state over-65 snowbirds getting vaccinated in Florida, including those who own property there and pay taxes, I imagine that any attempt to divert doses to healthy young crew members of foreign flagged cruise ships would not go unopposed. Nevertheless, an interesting proposition.

As per the latest CDC phase definitions it looks like the crew members would mostly all fall into the 1-C CATEGORY.

This is for food service and hospitality providers as well as many types of workers.

I hope that until 1-A and 1-B phases are immunized 1;C will be put on hold.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Not so sure that I agree with you on this point.  I think the cruise industry will develop a solution working with maybe multiple government programs.  Having the crew fully vaccinated will go along with a return to safe cruising for passengers, crew, and ports.  I personally would feel horrible to cruise as a vaccinated passenger while the poor hardworking crew members remain at risk.  Even if vaccinated I would not cruise a line or ship that does not take care to protect its crew first.

Exactly.  

Just now, boscobeans said:

As per the latest CDC phase definitions it looks like the crew members would mostly all fall into the 1-C CATEGORY.

This is for food service and hospitality providers as well as many types of workers.

I hope that until 1-A and 1-B phases are immunized 1;C will be put on hold.

Yes if US CDC definitions really mean anything to foreign-flagged corporations and employees. I anticipate the cruise industry will work on getting vaccines for their crew members outside of these definitions at some point this year.

2 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes if US CDC definitions really mean anything to foreign-flagged corporations and employees. I anticipate the cruise industry will work on getting vaccines for their crew members outside of these definitions at some point this year.

Cruise ships are docking for re-supply and other reasons in U.S. Ports every day.

They could legally immunize those employees that fall into the C.D.C.s PHASE 1-C as food service and hospitality employees among the other types of jobs in 1-C.

Lots to think about ?? 

Great news would be the SINGLE DOSE vaccine.....

Staff a ship with negative tested employees.

Immunize the entire crew.

Spend 10-14 days off shore in quarantine preparing the ship and training the crew(New Procedures?).

If clear accept passengers in a U.S. Port  ????

Only time will tell ..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Many people have a reaction after the second Moderna dose- but within 24 hours the symptoms do disappear.  Not sure about Pzifer.  A small price to pay rather then getting Covid.  Also, Florida is a problem.  People in Florida do not even wear masks.  Hopefully they will understand that non compliance is and will hurt the tourist industry.  The crew members should be tested often and if possible get the vaccine asap.  More new vaccines should be out within the next few months.

My husband snapped back to health 2 days later...he never gets sick so this was a big deal.  I am still tired and have sore muscles, slight headache....hope by tom I will be 100 % . Usually lag a day behind,

We see many with masks here in Venice Fl...esp at Publix, post ofc,  other stores and usually at CVS...altho today they let someone is without a mask..dh complained. We plan to continue using masks indefinitely.

Vaccines will be a big step forward for cruising if they live up to expectations..but other measures will be needed...masks, distancing,  dining adjustments etc,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Unfortunately no mask mandates in Florida.   Ny rates are going down exponentially.  Countries like New Zealand and Australia did the right thing are on the road to recovery 

We  are in  both  Fl and NY...folks gen do what's right but if they don't want to be good citizens, repressive measures are really not an answer versus education. 

NY is  lifting many of its harsh rules..glad to hear that but we usually stick very close to home.  

No Celeb ships cruise from NYC ( just Bayonne NJ) but it used to be fun,

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Very  cute, but we  actually lucked out with getting shots in rural area of Fla..made a tel appt!  Add 4 turns!

I'm genuinely happy for you. My son has been teaching in person in rural Montana since August. He filled out his vaccination paperwork in December. Still no shot, and still many anti-maskers in his school and community, where positivity rates are well-above average and 70% of total Covid deaths have been in the last 2.5 months. 

Edited to add that my daughter, who is student teaching online in SoCal, has gotten her first shot. She will start having students in small groups outdoors next week. 

Edited by MamaFej
Addition

11 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Very speculative.  Why exactly would the need to be vaccinated in their home countries when we're talking about a period where every American wanting a vaccine will have had the opportunity to receive one? 

7 hours ago, D C said:

Very speculative.  Why exactly would the need to be vaccinated in their home countries when we're talking about a period where every American wanting a vaccine will have had the opportunity to receive one? 

I don't see why any country would vaccinate the citizen of another country to enable that person to work on a ship registered in yet another country. Simple as that. A country's residents will surely have to be vaccinated and recorded as such in their own country's health records for the purpose of future boosters to cover new strains etc?

Edited by BigAl94
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

I don't see why any country would vaccinate the citizen of another country to enable that person to work on a ship registered in yet another country. Simple as that. A country's residents will surely have to be vaccinated and recorded as such in their own country's health records for the purpose of future boosters to cover new strains etc?

Once the supply of the vaccine is sufficient, there will not be restrictions in the US.  That should occur by mid to late summer.  At the rate manufacturing has ramped up booster supply should not be much of an issue.

• Like 3

I don't see why any country would vaccinate the citizen of another country to enable that person to work on a ship registered in yet another country. Simple as that.

Why? Because anything which would bolster/help the economic recovery of any US state would be considered, Imo.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nocl said:

Once the supply of the vaccine is sufficient, there will not be restrictions in the US.  That should occur by mid to late summer.  At the rate manufacturing has ramped up booster supply should not be much of an issue.

Supply isn't the issue. What do you mean by "there will not be restrictions"?

Canadian snowbirds are getting vaccinated in Florida, at a time when vaccinations are still limited. There's no issue over the need for the vaccination to be registered in Canadian health records. This approach isn't limited to the US, as neighbours who are currently visiting their daughter in the Cayman Islands received their vaccination there.

43 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Supply isn't the issue. What do you mean by "there will not be restrictions"?

Just that.  Now the supply is limited so there is a prioritization of who can get the vaccine. In a few months those restrictions will go away and normal vaccine channels will take over.  Then it will be just like getting a flu vaccine or any other.  Just go to you local pharmacy.  At that point there will no restrictions on who can get the vaccine, where they are from, who they work for, etc. 

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Why? Because anything which would bolster/help the economic recovery of any US state would be considered, Imo.

I agree.  While the ships are not registered in the US, cruising provides millions of dollars to our economy, and supports tens of thousands of jobs both directly and even more so, indirectly (hotels, restaurants, taxis, etc. in embarkation cities in particular)

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree.  While the ships are not registered in the US, cruising provides millions of dollars to our economy, and supports tens of thousands of jobs both directly and even more so, indirectly (hotels, restaurants, taxis, etc. in embarkation cities in particular)

I believe the amount is actually in the billions of dollars. 😊

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MamaFej said:

I'm genuinely happy for you. My son has been teaching in person in rural Montana since August. He filled out his vaccination paperwork in December. Still no shot, and still many anti-maskers in his school and community, where positivity rates are well-above average and 70% of total Covid deaths have been in the last 2.5 months. 

Edited to add that my daughter, who is student teaching online in SoCal, has gotten her first shot. She will start having students in small groups outdoors next week. 

Glad your dtr got her 1st shot .

Working with small groups of students outdoors  ( in good weather) sounds like it will be safe and exciting...good luck to her!

Hope your son gets the shots soon and encourages  his students to mask up for safety..if  he is allowed to so.

Things  are very diff in diff places, but cruise protocols will have to be standardized for it all to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nocl said:

Just that.  Now the supply is limited so there is a prioritization of who can get the vaccine. In a few months those restrictions will go away and normal vaccine channels will take over.  Then it will be just like getting a flu vaccine or any other.  Just go to you local pharmacy.  At that point there will no restrictions on who can get the vaccine, where they are from, who they work for, etc. 

This ^. The vaccines will relatively soon become something anyone can buy. We're only talking a few months, or maybe even weeks. The companies producing these know the market possibilities and they will be all over this until the demand is gone. That may be never given mutations. 

14 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

What about all of the non-citizens in the US? no vaccine for them?