Is taking the Miami Trolley from MIA to the NCL terminal practical?

farjar

We will be sailing out of of the NCL terminal in Miami in Feb. of 2022.  Having read some about taking the trolley from MIA to the NCL terminal we have several questions: 

Will the new NCL terminal be operational by then and what letter is it?  

Is it practical for 2 people with 2 carry-ons and 1 rolling bag to take the trolley?

What trolley stop is closest to NCL?

How far a walk is it from the trolley stop to the ship and about how long does it take?

Any other information that can be provided would be sincerely appreciated.

I’ve never used the trolley.  But based on what I see on the trolley’s route maps, I don’t consider it practical.  I think you’d have to change trolleys twice to get to the one that serves the port.  And once in the port, it doesn’t go far enough in to get you close to the NCL terminal.  Based on where it goes in the port, I think their target customer is port-based employees.  A taxi or Uber is your best option from MIA to your terminal doorsteps.  I think it’s still a fixed price for taxis. 

If you’re set on trying something like this, it looks like you’d be better off taking  the MetroRail from MIA to Brickell and then transferring to the trolly which goes to the port. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising

37 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I’ve never used the trolley.  But based on what I see on the trolley’s route maps, I don’t consider it practical.  I think you’d have to change trolleys twice to get to the one that serves the port.  And once in the port, it doesn’t go far enough in to get you close to the NCL terminal.  Based on where it goes in the port, I think their target customer is port-based employees.  A taxi or Uber is your best option from MIA to your terminal doorsteps.  I think it’s still a fixed price for taxis. 

Agree with all of this.  

If you're coming from the airport, I would take the metrorail to government center station, then catch an Uber... Or walk a couple of blocks to bayside marketplace, where there will be taxis waiting...

Just now, sid_9169 said:

If you're coming from the airport, I would take the metrorail to government center station, then catch an Uber... Or walk a couple of blocks to bayside marketplace, where there will be taxis waiting...

That is the most correct answer.   But instead of Uber, take the Metromover from Government Center (downstairs from the Metrorail) and get off at College North, then take a taxi to the terminal (too far to walk to any terminal on Dodge Island from Bayside).

4 hours ago, farjar said:

We will be sailing out of of the NCL terminal in Miami in Feb. of 2022.  Having read some about taking the trolley from MIA to the NCL terminal we have several questions: 

Will the new NCL terminal be operational by then and what letter is it?  

Is it practical for 2 people with 2 carry-ons and 1 rolling bag to take the trolley?

What trolley stop is closest to NCL?

How far a walk is it from the trolley stop to the ship and about how long does it take?

Any other information that can be provided would be sincerely appreciated.

Why not just take a taxi from the airport.  Flat rate and much more convenient

We have traveled by taxi and it is a quick inexpensive ride. We have traveled on the trolley

and also on the MetroMover. I can't say where they stop near the terminal but it is

impractical to carry bags on the trolley. They are used by locals and can get very 

crowded at times. Narrow too. No place to put your luggage except the aisle or

your lap! As for the Metro Mover you access it by stairs. Maybe there is an elevator? I can't remember.

It goes very fast and jerks back and forth like the underground train in Atlanta Airport.

Not for the faint of heart. Taxis are our go to. 

I used the trolley to get from Biscayne Blvd in front of Bayfront Park. It was near my hotel. If you are mobile with your luggage it is no problem.  If you have multiple checked bags it would be awkward. I had one rolling bag and my backpack. The driver did not think it unusual.  Also my cruise was on a Sunday morning and nobody but a few port employees were on.  He can let people off several places in the port. The first stop might be closer to terminal D, meaning you must walk past C to get to B, but, I would not be surprised if he asks where you are going and gets you closer.  He asked me and I was at E.  

On 3/3/2021 at 7:37 PM, Peachypooh said:

We have traveled by taxi and it is a quick inexpensive ride. We have traveled on the trolley

and also on the MetroMover. I can't say where they stop near the terminal but it is

impractical to carry bags on the trolley. They are used by locals and can get very 

crowded at times. Narrow too. No place to put your luggage except the aisle or

your lap! As for the Metro Mover you access it by stairs. Maybe there is an elevator? I can't remember.

It goes very fast and jerks back and forth like the underground train in Atlanta Airport.

Not for the faint of heart. Taxis are our go to. 

There is an elevator next to the stairs for the Metromover but it is very, very slow.  And smells awful.

• Like 1