Connecting Flights in London

jhenry1

I am trying to book air fare for our Cape Town trip in Jan of 2022.  I am trying to decide if I want to fly BA and connect in London and hope the restrictions are off by Jan or fly through Newark .  The problem with the latter is that we have to fly in a day earlier and leave a day later to get the United one stop flights.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I am thinking by Jan if the restrictions are not lifted in London then most likely we should not go to Cape Town and the cruise might not go.

On 3/4/2021 at 8:36 AM, jhenry1 said:

I am trying to book air fare for our Cape Town trip in Jan of 2022.  I am trying to decide if I want to fly BA and connect in London and hope the restrictions are off by Jan or fly through Newark .  The problem with the latter is that we have to fly in a day earlier and leave a day later to get the United one stop flights.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  I am thinking by Jan if the restrictions are not lifted in London then most likely we should not go to Cape Town and the cruise might not go.

Personally, I would do anything to avoid a connection in that airport.  Between the busses between terminals, have to go though security again....  at least going you wouldn't have to do that in Newark airport.

• Like 1

jhenry1:

Here is another possibility.  Not sure where you are in Texas as to what connections might be required. 

But--consider Delta.  We did a November-December 2015 combination safari/Cape Town to Rio Mariner cruise.  Utilized Delta, N/S, SEATAC redeye to Amsterdam.  Relatively short (2.5 hour) layover at Amsterdam.  Nice Lounge.  Then, N/S KLM to Cape Town. Arrived that same night.    

Return from Rio was N/S, Delta to Atlanta; then, N/S to SEATAC.  

All segments were Business Class. 

GOARMY!

I would like to second the comment by Lonedaddy to avoid Heathrow if at all possible.  In the past few years we have twice missed connecting flights there even when we had almost 3 hours scheduled between flights.  This is in addition to very long walks, very long lines and long waits for buses etc.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 8:10 PM, annapolitan369 said:

I would like to second the comment by Lonedaddy to avoid Heathrow if at all possible.  In the past few years we have twice missed connecting flights there even when we had almost 3 hours scheduled between flights.  This is in addition to very long walks, very long lines and long waits for buses etc.

Not at present, the LHR airport is working at only 20% of 2019 levels. You should be more concerned that the airlines survive and post covid many routes and options will disappear

On 3/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, Dwtlion said:

If you fly BA, watch out for the taxes on tickets from the U.S.A to London. Several times higher than other  US carriers. 

Sorry but, you have the taxes backwards.  The taxes which affect FF tickets as well as paid tickets are from London to many destinations  including the US and affect all airlines, not just BA.

40 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Sorry but, you have the taxes backwards.  The taxes which affect FF tickets as well as paid tickets are from London to many destinations  including the US and affect all airlines, not just BA.

I just booked a FF from the east coast to LGW. Taxes using BA were over $500 more than on American.

55 minutes ago, Dwtlion said:

1266937375_Screenshot2021-03-12095538.thumb.png.a732a727e05889afa094a375dee6be6c.png630706837_Screenshot2021-03-12095658.thumb.png.6582d409f9cde1711e4ac266886ebec2.png

What you see there is a combination of taxes and fuel surcharges of which AA has no fuel surcharges.  I stand by my earlier post regarding added taxes for London departures.

Go to the details and likely you will see the differences and that added fuel surcharges for BA.

Edited by rallydave

2 hours ago, rallydave said:

What you see there is a combination of taxes and fuel surcharges of which AA has no fuel surcharges.  I stand by my earlier post regarding added taxes for London departures.

Go to the details and likely you will see the differences and that added fuel surcharges for BA.

I won't get into a semantics debate except to note that in their fare details, AA never uses any words that would denote a fuel charge.

Words aside, I stand by my original post that flying BA across the pond is substantially more expensive than US carriers. And, I really could care less "why".

• Like 2

We couldn't get AA and had booked BA First, we had to cancel the trip and got the tax refund of $749.24 for each ticket.  AA was much cheaper in taxes but we didn't want to fly business and the mileage was about 2 and half times more on AA than BA. (Got miles and taxes returned).   

Connections at BA at Heathrow are notoriously bad.

I would suggest that you plan to stay in London a few days to get over the jet lag and then fly down to Cape Town as the the LHR- CPT is north-south and only  one time zone difference.

J

We will have a 6 hour layover so should not be a problem. The return is also a longer layover.  We don’t mind that especially at Heathrow as several times came very close to missing connecting flight. Not especially excited about BA but the best for us flying from Austin and only one stop both ways. Other choices with only one stop are not on the days we want to arrive and depart. Hopefully this will be a go and no masks or quarantines . If that is the case we will cancel.

• Like 1