How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

In regard to the pre-testing within 48 hours. Is an Antigen Test acceptable in lieu of the PCR Test? Considering that the PCR Test takes much longer for the results than the Antigen test. I think you can practically wait in the office a few minutes for the results from an Antigen Test. I'm really wondering how one can insure getting the results of the PCR Test back in time? 48 hours is a pretty tight schedule especially when you are depending on the results that allow you to travel within 48 hours. 🤔

14 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

In regard to the pre-testing within 48 hours. Is an Antigen Test acceptable in lieu of the PCR Test? Considering that the PCR Test takes much longer for the results than the Antigen test. I think you can practically wait in the office a few minutes for the results from an Antigen Test. I'm really wondering how one can insure getting the results of the PCR Test back in time? 48 hours is a pretty tight schedule especially when you are depending on the results that allow you to travel within 48 hours. 🤔

Hi, I have never done a PCR........every time I needed a test it was a Rapid Antigen and it was always acceptable. 

6 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, I have never done a PCR........every time I needed a test it was a Rapid Antigen and it was always acceptable. 

Thank you, Lois. You were obviously able to find a place to have it done. How long before you got your results and was the test free? 

For cruisers in rural areas who may be having trouble finding accessible testing sites, I saw this in our local Shenandoah Valley, VA newspaper (The Northern Virginia Daily) today about a FREE program in Virginia and other states (other cc posters have mentioned it in Nebraska and Ohio IIRC) designed to increase access to COVID-19 testing, especially among rural and remote communities.  I suggest googling to see if your state participates.

Samuels Public Library has joined 18 other libraries and library systems statewide by offering free, at-home COVID-19 tests through a partnership with the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), according to a news release from the library.

Individuals may pick up a virtually-guided Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Card Home Test at Samuels Public Library, use it in the privacy of their own home and receive digital test results in 15 minutes, the release stated.

According to the release, the at-home test kit uses the eMed digital platform. Users will need an internet-connected device enabled with a camera and microphone (smartphone or laptop) to join a virtual testing session with an eMed assistant. The eMed assistant will guide users through the testing process. Once the test is complete, the user will receive results within 15 minutes and eMed will report the results to VDH.

1 hour ago, Floridastorm said:

Thank you, Lois. You were obviously able to find a place to have it done. How long before you got your results and was the test free? 

Hi, I see you are in Ocala......I am over in Jax.   We have lots of places that offer testing....the particular place I went to was an Urgent Care Facility and it cost me 5.00.  I got the results in about 30 minutes. 

I am betting Ocala has places that offer testing.  I found mine through Google.

• 2 weeks later...

I was fully vaxed back in July, 2021 but we are still waiting to cruise as the ships have not been allowed back to Australia as yet and it is likely that they won't return to at least May 2022. The main lines like X, Royal and Princess won't be back till October/November 2022.

Overseas travel for Australians (for leisure) is allowed from 15 December but only to Singapore for now.

Our first cruise is in Japan on October 2022.

Don't really want to be vaccinated as I have had Covid and survived and also had the Monoclonal Antibody Treatment. Don't see any reason to get vaccinated as I have natural immunity. However it seems like every venue requires vaccination regardless and a PCR or Antigen test. However, I would never pay money to cruise with a facemask on. What is the vaccine for if you have to wear a face mask on top of it? 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 8:18 AM, ldubs said:

Another vote for Option 4.  We will return to cruising when cruising returns to some semblance of normal and the pandemic is managed.  We have a cruise booked for next year.  We will opt out if things are still uncontrolled.  

Posted this response back in March.  It is sad, but this many months later and I still feel the same.  

On 12/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, d9704011 said:

For the time being, looks like you won't be cruising.  

There may be some misunderstanding. I did state that I would not be cruising on any line that requires masks to be worn. The American Steamboat Company, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Oceania do not require masks to be worn on board their ships. Although I do not approve of the demand for vaccination and pre-cruise testing, I do realize that if I want to cruise then those two things will need to be accomplished. I am one of the millions of people who already had Covid and got over it naturally. So, I don't see why I would need a vaccine as my body already has immunity to the virus. In my opinion the vaccine is overkill, probably unnecessary, and in some cases may be dangerous. 

49 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

There may be some misunderstanding. I did state that I would not be cruising on any line that requires masks to be worn. The American Steamboat Company, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Oceania do not require masks to be worn on board their ships. Although I do not approve of the demand for vaccination and pre-cruise testing, I do realize that if I want to cruise then those two things will need to be accomplished. I am one of the millions of people who already had Covid and got over it naturally. So, I don't see why I would need a vaccine as my body already has immunity to the virus. In my opinion the vaccine is overkill, probably unnecessary, and in some cases may be dangerous. 

Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought you are unvaccinated, didn't plan on getting vaccinated and, therefore, suggested you would not be cruising for a period of time no matter your personal opinion(s) on the matter.

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

please let me know what cruises you are considering taking. i wish to avoid them if you're not vaccinated

If you've already got your vaccination, PCR Test, and both your N95 and Surgeon's masks on  I would think you were protected from a nuclear blast much less my being unvaccinated. 

5 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Perhaps I misunderstood; I thought you are unvaccinated, didn't plan on getting vaccinated and, therefore, suggested you would not be cruising for a period of time no matter your personal opinion(s) on the matter.

There is no period of time. This vaccination and testing protocol will be going on forever. We still have tight security at airports although it's been over 20 years since 911. Yes, I am unvaccinated. However I, and millions of other people,  am forced into getting all of this stuff if I ever want to cruise again. Still deciding if it's worth it. 

florida storm..i'd rather face the blast, then take the chance you might be onthe same ship.

take the shot, what's the big deal.  it's like chicken soup, it may not help, but it couldnt hurt.

by the way, i had the 1st 2 shots late jan and mid feb, and the booster this past aug.  wife and i went to vegas beginning of nov. about a week later, i ended up testing + for covid. so personally, i'm not taking any chances. if i have to wear a mask on board ship... so be it. 

remember the good old adage:  "better to be safe then sorry"

3 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

There is no period of time. This vaccination and testing protocol will be going on forever. We still have tight security at airports although it's been over 20 years since 911. Yes, I am unvaccinated. However I, and millions of other people,  am forced into getting all of this stuff if I ever want to cruise again. Still deciding if it's worth it. 

I agree this bio security stuff is not going away. In terms of vaccination how long ago was your infection? If it is over six months ago you could think of the vaccine as a booster. 

On 12/7/2021 at 8:37 AM, ldubs said:

Posted this response back in March.  It is sad, but this many months later and I still feel the same.  

Not an unreasonable perspective.  We have had our first known case of Omicron in San Diego.  The person was fully vaccinated including a follow up booster shot! 

The story also cites cases in LA and the Bay Area as well but it doesn't suggest the vaccine status of those patients.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/coronavirus/1st-case-of-covid-omicron-variant-found-in-fully-vaccinated-and-boosted-san-diegan/2808534/

Since COVID isn't likely ever to go away, we can only hope that it mutates into something less hazardous and that both vaccines and therapeutics get better.  

My own first cruise is scheduled for the end of April.  Will I have had shot #4 before this cruise?  We will see...

Edited by SelectSys

On 12/10/2021 at 5:02 PM, SelectSys said:

Not an unreasonable perspective.  We have had our first known case of Omicron in San Diego.  The person was fully vaccinated including a follow up booster shot! 

The story also cites cases in LA and the Bay Area as well but it doesn't suggest the vaccine status of those patients.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/coronavirus/1st-case-of-covid-omicron-variant-found-in-fully-vaccinated-and-boosted-san-diegan/2808534/

Since COVID isn't likely ever to go away, we can only hope that it mutates into something less hazardous and that both vaccines and therapeutics get better.  

My own first cruise is scheduled for the end of April.  Will I have had shot #4 before this cruise?  We will see...

Our first cruise happens earlier in April.  It is tied to a land trip (Europe).   I'll have a 4th dose if it is recommended and available to me.  

On 12/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, ldubs said:

Our first cruise happens earlier in April.  It is tied to a land trip (Europe).   I'll have a 4th dose if it is recommended and available to me.  

Too funny - I am also wondering if I will get a 4th dose before I go.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...