How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

LauraS

How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?  

2,416 members have voted

1. 1. How soon after completing your COVID-19 vaccination would you want to go on a cruise?

• Within the first two months. Once I have the shots, I am ready to go
    • A few months – I’d take a different trip first
    • I would prefer to wait six months to a year
    • Other, explain below.....

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What you are extrapolating from your quote is not what was actually said.

The vaccines are no longer experimental, btw. 

And every successful treatment, therapy, or vaccine was "new" at some point.

I wonder if people who take the vaccine actually read the consent forms that they must sign. For example, the Moderna Consent form clearly states  that “the Moderna Vaccine is still being studied in clinical trials and studies.”
Moderna btw has NEVER had anything approved by the FDA. Only this EUA. 
It is “only authorized for emergency use (EUA) for as long as the emergency is declared”. Because “there are no alternative approved methods.” 
So while I have no issue with those who do choose to get the vaccine, I do not feel that those who do not want it should be forced to take it. 
Take care. I have no desire to argue. 🙂

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, 2CoolCanucks said:

So while I have no issue with those who do choose to get the vaccine, I do not feel that those who do not want it should be forced to take it. 

Oh I don't think anyone should be forced to get it. But companies, governments, schools and on and one may not let one in if not vaccinated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2CoolCanucks said:

And just so you know, mRNA vaccines have NEVER  been approved for use in any disease and  while being studied, are STILL only in experimental form.
Harvard Health Institute. (Not sure if I am allowed to post links so here is a quote from their webpage)

“Anthony Komaroff, MD
Editor in Chief, Harvard Health Letter

The very first vaccines for COVID-19 to complete phase 3 testing are an entirely new type: mRNA vaccines. NEVER BEFORE  have mRNA vaccines — such as the two-dose Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines that have now received emergency use authorization from the FDA — been approved for use in ANY DISEASE. How do they differ from traditional vaccines, and what makes them so exciting?”

I NEVER said mrNA VACCINE,  I said mNRA TECHNOLOGY.  Get it straight.  

And, it isn't experimental use - it's called EMERGENCY USE.   

Just now, slidergirl said:

And, it isn't experimental use - it's called EMERGENCY USE.   

For some reason they can't admit that. Other than both beginning with "e" what do they have in common.

Seems to me it stopped being experimental with the successful trials.   But if the definition were that it is experimental till approved by the FDA, no skin off my nose.  I would still get the vaccine.    I think the word is really being used to provoke a response. A lot of that going on these days.    

• Like 4

Wow is this getting  popcorn worthy...

Back to the question... being Vaccinated i think is important for most holidays.. cruising being one... but here quite a few place are not opening certain areas ( lounges and the like )   looks like they are waiting until the bulk of people and particularly traveller are vaccinated.... 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ockelly said:

I'd be happy to cruise without it, honestly.  I've had the Rona and still have the antibodies.  It's disappointing that they require it.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but having had "rona" is no guarantee that any antibodies you acquired will last longer than maybe 3 months.  Mine went away inside of 3 months.  You may have T-cells, but no cruise line is going to pay for that test.  And, no guarantee that your antibodies will protect from a variant.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've had the vaccine.  My ideal would be that everyone else on board has also had the vaccine so there is less chance that the cruise will be cut short or otherwise changed during to a Covid-19 outbreak.  Could that still happen - yes, of course it is a possibility, but it seems a lot less likely if everyone on board is vaccinated.   

In a recent poll the majority of cruisers seemed to feel the same way and have been letting the cruise lines know their feelings.  So, if you want to go cruising in the foreseeable future then get your vaccine and get ready for fun on board!   

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 9:56 AM, GoesBoom said:

Would you let me know when you hear from Uniworld concerning your 5/30 cruise?  I’m booked 6/20 with them for the Grand France.  I find them lacking in customer communications.  “Everything is fine, all cruises will sail” is what I get from them.  Also have had both jabs!

I see an update yesterday March 30, that they are req. fully vaccinated or negative test before embarkation which I find comforting.  

4 hours ago, CUTTERSAM said:

I see an update yesterday March 30, that they are req. fully vaccinated or negative test before embarkation which I find comforting.  

I’m confused:?  Being vaccinated does not prevent one from getting the virus, so how is that comforting?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gooscar said:

I’m confused:?  Being vaccinated does not prevent one from getting the virus, so how is that comforting?  

I'm pretty sure that's the definition of what vaccines do, and I for one, am glad everyone on the ship  will have one.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gooscar said:

There was news today from the CDC that indeed they do 

here is the popular press article which contains a link to the CDC study 

https://www.cnet.com/health/pfizer-and-moderna-vaccines-80-effective-at-preventing-covid-19-after-one-shot-cdc-says/

• Like 2

On 3/22/2021 at 9:56 AM, GoesBoom said:

Would you let me know when you hear from Uniworld concerning your 5/30 cruise?  I’m booked 6/20 with them for the Grand France.  I find them lacking in customer communications.  “Everything is fine, all cruises will sail” is what I get from them.  Also have had both jabs!

On 3/26/2021 at 7:57 PM, clo said:

Oh I don't think anyone should be forced to get it. But companies, governments, schools and on and one may not let one in if not vaccinated.

Yes, definitely ones choice and quite like "no shirt, no shoes, no service."  It's the Golden Rule, he who has the gold makes the rules.  It's for the protection of the majority and it's not an inalienable  right to vacation.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a cruise for January 2022. But our thinking was that we didn't want to jump on a crowded ship, as our first vacation out of the gate. The deal that Princess offered, was too good to pass up, so we booked. We had a cruise cancelled for Nov 2020, but we are excited for the chance to cruise again. We get our first shots of the vaccine next week, so we will be good to go. It will be interesting to see what dining and food service will be like by next year. I would assume that buffets will be closed for awhile.

On 3/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, gooscar said:

Don't know about all of them but in a study on the Pfizer vaccine it was found to stop even 2/3 of asymptomatic cases after 1 dose in actual use in Israel and both Moderna and Pfizer were found to those who have had both dose of either had a rate of infection of 0.04/1000 (99% effective) while those who had only received one dose had only .19/1000 in actual use in the US in early vaccinations on medical professionals. By comparison the MMR vaccine is only 88% effective at two doses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gooscar said:

So if we get the vaccine, we won't have to wear masks?

The way I understand it you won't need a mask in a small gathering or outside But a big indoor advent you would be require too.. But who knows it changes every day

I would be comfortable cruising immediately after becoming fully vaccinated. Which means now. (Last month, actually.) I am not concerned about whether others around me are vaccinated, on the ship or at ports, at least not for my own sake. These shots are astonishingly effective. 

We’ve booked a cruise for winter 2022. Here’s hoping the masks are off by then.