Eurodam makes the start with 7-night cruises out of Piraeus, Athens this summer!

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I don't think I revisited then either, I can go back and look.  Initially someone was concerned that their Alaska cruise would be canceled and I think my comment was you need confirmation before reacting.  This criticism showed up on my feed and I thought I would answer it since I was one who asked for proof. I only sought proof because telling people something without documentation can upset them

This response is stunning on several different levels.  Peace and calmness be with you,

9 minutes ago, Domer81mpc said:

This response is stunning on several different levels.  Peace and calmness be with you,

My history on this topic was questioned and I am willing to explain myself. It is a long thread.   The person who I responded to is a respected member of the forum and I accepted his question at face value.   I don’t find being questioned offensive and I don’t mind answering.  Forum posting is a dialogue not an argument. I do not like calling out though.  

Edited by Mary229

On 4/7/2021 at 4:02 PM, Kwaj girl said:

Only for cruises thru JUNE.  Theh are going in July and as of this afternoon HAL is still saying they hope it's a "go."

Gus said yesterday when he was on with Seth, that Nieuw Amsterdam is the replacement for Eurodam and they are still trying to work out an Alaska season.

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

I don’t find being questioned offensive and I don’t mind answering.  Forum posting is a dialogue not an argument. I do not like calling out though.  

Some who participate do not understand that our posts are a dialogue.  (I may be guilty of "crossing the line" between dialogue and argument at times.  If so, it was never intentional.)  CC posters are not the only those who post on other Forums that have experienced reactions by others are "disappointing in tone and words" to read.  One ought to have a "thick skin" in order to participate in a Forum dialogue.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Some who participate do not understand that our posts are a dialogue.  (I may be guilty of "crossing the line" between dialogue and argument at times.  If so, it was never intentional.)  CC posters are not the only those who post on other Forums that have experienced reactions by others are "disappointing in tone and words" to read.  One ought to have a "thick skin" in order to participate in a Forum dialogue.  

It is sometimes hard to realize that as you need to weed through the threads to see what the answer was in response.  I much prefer fora where the reply is nested under the response as it makes it much easier to follow the sub-dialogue.   It is not important.  I didn't recognize the poster and just wanted him/her to understand that I was not being antagonistic but responding.  

Published by Cruise Industry News 5/5/21

For cruise lines wanting to operate from a U.S. port, they will need to adhere to a number of new regulations released on Wednesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for ships to sail under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO).

While many cruise lines have already confirmed their buffets are on hold for the time being, the CDC has made it official by now requiring them to eliminate any self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets, salad bars, and drink stations.

The CDC will also require social distancing in all venues onboard and is recommending cruise lines provide alternative meal services options, such as prepackaged grab-and-go meals, for consumption on open decks or in individual cabins to minimize risks associated with congregate indoor dining.

Outdoor lounge seating around the pool will also have a different look, as loungers and chairs will need to be six feet apart, severely limiting outdoor seating space. These items can be grouped together for families and traveling companions, according to the CDC.

The CDC has also said cruise lines must "prohibit self-guided or independent exploration by passengers during port stops. Ensure all shore excursion tour companies facilitate social distancing to allow for at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family, mask wearing, cleaning and disinfection, and other COVID-19 public health measures throughout the tour."

This would require passengers to buy organized tours through the cruise line ahead of time.

Of note, the CDC also said cruise lines should limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination, which would take a number of Caribbean destinations out of itineraries.

How does this effect cruising in Europe? Do we know yet what the protocols are?  Will any of this measures have to be or will be followed when cruises start in Europe?

Happiness is anywhere my cruise is 

On 5/8/2021 at 9:41 AM, ski ww said:

Published by Cruise Industry News 5/5/21

For cruise lines wanting to operate from a U.S. port, they will need to adhere to a number of new regulations released on Wednesday by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for ships to sail under the Framework for Conditional Sailing Order (CSO).

While many cruise lines have already confirmed their buffets are on hold for the time being, the CDC has made it official by now requiring them to eliminate any self-serve food or drink options, such as buffets, salad bars, and drink stations.

The CDC will also require social distancing in all venues onboard and is recommending cruise lines provide alternative meal services options, such as prepackaged grab-and-go meals, for consumption on open decks or in individual cabins to minimize risks associated with congregate indoor dining.

Outdoor lounge seating around the pool will also have a different look, as loungers and chairs will need to be six feet apart, severely limiting outdoor seating space. These items can be grouped together for families and traveling companions, according to the CDC.

The CDC has also said cruise lines must "prohibit self-guided or independent exploration by passengers during port stops. Ensure all shore excursion tour companies facilitate social distancing to allow for at least 6 feet (2 meters) between individuals who are not traveling companions or part of the same family, mask wearing, cleaning and disinfection, and other COVID-19 public health measures throughout the tour."

This would require passengers to buy organized tours through the cruise line ahead of time.

Of note, the CDC also said cruise lines should limit shore excursions in foreign ports of call to countries listed as Level 1: COVID-19 Low in CDC’s COVID-19 Travel Recommendations by Destination, which would take a number of Caribbean destinations out of itineraries.

How does this effect cruising in Europe? Do we know yet what the protocols are?  Will any of this measures have to be or will be followed when cruises start in Europe?

Happiness is anywhere my cruise is 

A lot of that has changed.  CDC has now said private shore excursions / getting off on the ship on your own is permitted if you are vaccinated and IF the ship and ports permit it.

Listening to Gus Atorcha the other day, he stated that Greece WILL permit passengers off on their own.  He is hoping to avoid masks with fully vaccinated ships (requirement to sail in Greece) but it is up to the ports.

He also said he hopes to have the protocols up in a couple of weeks.  Unfortunately a lot of the protocols will depend on each country and even ports.  So much is up in the air these days and so many changes to come.

However, FWIW it does sound like Greece is quite co-operative with cruising.  All we can do is watch and wait.  

Over the weekend,, it looks like HAL has made OV rooms available for the August sailings on Eurodam.  I feel they are trying to get interest in the sailings by offering a lower price point.  Don't think I would be interested in an OV room for the small difference in price.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

Over the weekend,, it looks like HAL has made OV rooms available for the August sailings on Eurodam.  I feel they are trying to get interest in the sailings by offering a lower price point.  Don't think I would be interested in an OV room for the small difference in price.

I get the feeling sales are slow.  By the time you factor in flights, a hotel the night before plus port fees/taxes it is a pretty expensive seven day trip.  Doing the fourteen day is a little more economical per day.  I may be in the minority but I am not keen on sitting in an airplane for 10-12 hours either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I may be in the minority but I am not keen on sitting in an airplane for 10-12 hours either.

We're not keen on wearing it either but are going and hoping maybe by the end of August things change a bit.  Operative word is hoping!   Our Mask Mandate was listed before the latest from the CDC but before it we wore Mask for 8 - 10 hours a day at work.  It's not fun and a lot different than just putting it on for a an hour to go into a store for essentials.  I'm dreading the flights but feel it will be worth it once we get Onboard!

4 hours ago, KirkNC said:

I get the feeling sales are slow.  By the time you factor in flights, a hotel the night before plus port fees/taxes it is a pretty expensive seven day trip.  Doing the fourteen day is a little more economical per day.  I may be in the minority but I am not keen on sitting in an airplane for 10-12 hours either.

Much as I'd like to be going to Europe, I avoid summer months like the plague and especially August in the Eastern Med -- it will be beastly hot. 

Wearing a mask on the plane wouldn't bother me that much, it's wearing it in the heat and humidity ashore on tours that would be more bothersome for me as I find it difficult to breathe in them when I am active. Sitting (as on a plane) is more doable.

Normality is returning. I can wait a few more months and judge from others' experiences when I feel ready to go again.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Much as I'd like to be going to Europe, I avoid summer months like the plague and especially August in the Eastern Med -- it will be beastly hot. 

Wearing a mask on the plane wouldn't bother me that much, it's wearing it in the heat and humidity ashore on tours that would be more bothersome for me as I find it difficult to breathe in them when I am active. Sitting (as on a plane) is more doable.

Normality is returning. I can wait a few more months and judge from others' experiences when I feel ready to go again.

Ditto.  IF we go it will be for six or seven weeks in late Sept/October.   Too hot in the summer, too far to us to go for a week to two week  cruise. 

The other big question is what the shore excursions/conditions will be like.

Covid still has a way to go.  Despite what their tourism folks say, covid rates are still high in Greece...140 per 100,000.  This compares to 4 for the US and 22 for the UK.    We are hoping that that their rates maintain the current downward trend.

Edited by iancal

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

People must be balking at the current prices.    

I think 7 days is too short a period also.  People don't want to fly overseas for a week long sailing and really the way I see it there is not too much else to do as I doubt many of the attractions are in full mode.  My sis asked me to travel and I just don't want to lay out the money this year for a partial experience.  But yes, I think they are having trouble drumming up business.  It seems Alaska is doing better?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I think 7 days is too short a period also.  People don't want to fly overseas for a week long sailing and really the way I see it there is not too much else to do as I doubt many of the attractions are in full mode.  My sis asked me to travel and I just don't want to lay out the money this year for a partial experience.  But yes, I think they are having trouble drumming up business.  It seems Alaska is doing better?

I would think Alaska would do better if for no other reason then domestic travel versus international.  I am still skeptical (a Debbie Downer to some) that demand is as robust as the cruise industry portrays.  Certainly on CC, some are quite frothy about cruising but let’s be honest, this is the most avid cruisers and a very small segment.  Also there are tons of FCC floating around.  I think an initial rush will take place then my best guess is the industry will see less demand.  Another factor will be pricing as the industry has amassed massive debt that must be serviced and eventually paid off.  The only way to accomplish that is via higher pricing.  And last but not least is the shareholder dilution as tens of millions of new shares have been issued.

1 minute ago, KirkNC said:

I would think Alaska would do better if for no other reason then domestic travel versus international.  I am still skeptical (a Debbie Downer to some) that demand is as robust as the cruise industry portrays.  Certainly on CC, some are quite frothy about cruising but let’s be honest, this is the most avid cruisers and a very small segment.  Also there are tons of FCC floating around.  I think an initial rush will take place then my best guess is the industry will see less demand.  Another factor will be pricing as the industry has amassed massive debt that must be serviced and eventually paid off.  The only way to accomplish that is via higher pricing.  And last but not least is the shareholder dilution as tens of millions of new shares have been issued.

I agree about the initial rush but let’s be glad that those “first adopters” are willing to blaze that trail.  Only by their willingness will we be able to start understanding what will actually happen. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I agree about the initial rush but let’s be glad that those “first adopters” are willing to blaze that trail.  Only by their willingness will we be able to start understanding what will actually happen. 

Agreed the “bleeding edge” can be brutal but someone has to do it.