Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

We booked the July20 sailing, assuming that there will be lots more information posted by earlier cruisers.  We also wanted to escape from the late July heat in Florida (which is where we live now).  We have cruised frequently on Oceania and Windstar, and I have wanted to try Viking Ocean.  This seemed like an interesting opportunity.

I booked our air directly with Delta, because we wanted to make sure we had only one stop and we could avoid New York area airports.  Customs/immigration have often been a nightmare there and I suspect Covid has not improved things!  Had some Delta miles so I was also able to upgrade to first class on the outbound flight (yay!).

We visited Bermuda years ago, and there wasn't a whole lot to see (played a lot of golf then) so we didn't expect to do a lot of touring.  But I'm disappointed (but not surprised) to hear that there will be no independent shore visits allowed.  Didn't use a TA to book this, so this is the first I heard this.  I did see that Bermuda has 40% population vaccinated, so perhaps things may be less restrictive by July.

Look forward to hearing all about the cruise from you earlier sailors!  Please post lots of info & photos!!

For those who may be interested, I just did some research on same sex marriage in Bermuda. The topic first came up 4-5 years ago when their courts ruled that prohibiting it was unconstitutional, thus allowing same sex marriage - the first island or Caribbean nation to do so. (And allowed weddings at sea by the captain for gay couples on Bermuda-registered Cunard ships - as weddings by the captain are allowed in Bermudan law.) Shortly thereafter, there was a change in government and a law was passed prohibiting it, and the right was withdrawn. (Not unlike the case here in California with Prop 8 in 2009) Court cases challenging the prohibition followed and ultimately same sex marriage was allowed again as the government appealed the ruling through the courts, ultimately to the Privy Council in England. In February, the Council panel declined to overturn the ruling, thus exhausting the challenges to same sex marriage on the island. 

Not that I commonly spend a lot of time with local politics when traveling, but being a frequent Cunard passenger, and someone whose marriage was affected directly by the back-and forth in California courts from 2009-13, this one caught my attention. 

With the limitations of excursions in the ports, I suspect that no one on this cruise is likely to try to get married there anyway. 

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes.  No leaving the Viking tether bubble.

im not sure we would even be able to shop in a store unless the whole excursion went (which is impractical).  
would go another time if you really want to experience Bermuda like the old days.  We are going simply to experience the wonderful Viking ship.

Kent, my thoughts exactly! Viking Orion will be the destination! Breathtakingly beautiful Bermuda will be just icing on the cake. One beach day ashore is my goal. If that's not avail, I'm perfectly happy staying aboard. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2021 at 4:22 PM, CCWineLover said:

Yes, respbj, I saw that as well.  The $75 definitely caught my eye.

I did a quick check on getting a COVID test near where we live and unless you are deathly sick or in health care or already have major symptoms, it will cost you $140.  Yikes - how do all these people get tested for free?

Kent, here in Tucson we can just walk into one of the health department sites at the public parks and get a free COVID test. CVS is also doing them for free. My friend is on her way to Maui as we speak and she and her husband had their COVID tests for free at CVS to qualify for entry to Hawaii.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stretchcruz said:

Kent, here in Tucson we can just walk into one of the health department sites at the public parks and get a free COVID test. CVS is also doing them for free. My friend is on her way to Maui as we speak and she and her husband had their COVID tests for free at CVS to qualify for entry to Hawaii.

Thanks, Dobie.   I shall ask our CVS.  Our county did the COVID tests (we are now 5 weeks since jab #2 with Pfizer) at first - not so well managed, so now various pharmacies and some hospitals are also doing it.

Anyone know how the required arrival tests at the Bermuda airport will be carried out?  Bermuda requires you to self-islolate “at your accomodation” until you receive the test results, which they say can take up to 24 hours to receive.  And it says you must not have any contact with anyone not in your party until your receive your arrival test result.  How will Viking handle this?

All of this is on top of the pre-flight test you must get and the Viking pre-boarding test.  Viking won’t let you board until the test they give you comes back, and they say that can take up to four hours.

Unless Viking has worked out something with the government of Bermuda, it is going to be very difficult to get on the ship.  Our flight gets in at 1pm, so with expected long lines for customs AND for the arrival test, plus up to four hours waiting at the Viking arrival area, I could easily see it being 7pm or later before we actually get on the ship.

And if you are thinking of arriving a day early, you can’t leave your hotel room until you get your arrival test results (up to 24 hours after arriving at the airport).  In addition, there is a requirement to test on day 4 and day 8 after arrival, unless you are leaving on or before either of those days.

Viking has to be able to do the day 4 test for anyone arriving in Bermuda on departure day.  And if you arrive on departure day and leave on disembarkment day you are exempt from the day 8 test.  But if you arrive in Bermuda before departure day, will Viking be willing to do the day 8 test and transmit the results to the Bermuda government in the time they require?

The more I look into this the more complicated it gets....

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 1

I believe there are a limited number of locations and providers which Bermuda will accept for travelers. Not cheap. In my case, it means ordering from Costco, it seems. 
https://www.azova.com/test/bermuda/covid_19_testing.html

This is from the official Bermuda site - which, of course may be updated in the future.
https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

As for the other tests. I would assume the if we're moved directly to the ship, that would qualify as our place of accommodation. (Whether we'd be prohibited from Hamilton excursions until the test results are announced is one of my questions)

I also assume that they will do the Day 4 tests aboard or have a location in St Georges, the port on that day. Again as part of an isolated cohort.

I'm hoping that if we're flying out that day, Day 8 would be considered "in transit."

Edited by MarkBearSF

46 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

I believe there are a limited number of locations and providers which Bermuda will accept for travelers. Not cheap. In my case, it means ordering from Costco, it seems. 

This is from the official Bermuda site - which, of course may be updated in the future.

As for the other tests. I would assume the if we're moved directly to the ship, that would qualify as our place of accommodation. (Whether we'd be prohibited from Hamilton excursions until the test results are announced is one of my questions)

I also assume that they will do the Day 4 tests aboard or have a location in St Georges, the port on that day. Again as part of an isolated cohort.

I'm hoping that if we're flying out that day, Day 8 would be considered "in transit."

All very good points from both of you.  As the Pirate says, it is getting more complicated.

I did hear back via phone call from Viking a couple days ago (to my query on this subject).

A lot still to be determined and they said they are working with the Bermuda Government to get all the procedures and guidelines down, hopefully by May 15 or so.  Not that reassuring.

Some other points - yes, the Day 4 tests will be done aboard.  Yes, the ship is going to be considered your accommodation.  As for the logistics of landing, taking a test, going through customs, waiting around, and getting to the ship, that is the area that concerns me.

I figure we have until 14 days ahead to cancel this if it just looks too complicated.  A long way to fly from California to encounter a chaotic mess..

• Like 2

On 4/17/2021 at 3:26 PM, su-arizona said:

We booked the July20 sailing, assuming that there will be lots more information posted by earlier cruisers.  We also wanted to escape from the late July heat in Florida (which is where we live now).  We have cruised frequently on Oceania and Windstar, and I have wanted to try Viking Ocean.  This seemed like an interesting opportunity.

I booked our air directly with Delta, because we wanted to make sure we had only one stop and we could avoid New York area airports.  Customs/immigration have often been a nightmare there and I suspect Covid has not improved things!  Had some Delta miles so I was also able to upgrade to first class on the outbound flight (yay!).

We visited Bermuda years ago, and there wasn't a whole lot to see (played a lot of golf then) so we didn't expect to do a lot of touring.  But I'm disappointed (but not surprised) to hear that there will be no independent shore visits allowed.  Didn't use a TA to book this, so this is the first I heard this.  I did see that Bermuda has 40% population vaccinated, so perhaps things may be less restrictive by July.

Look forward to hearing all about the cruise from you earlier sailors!  Please post lots of info & photos!!

By the way, when Returning to the USA from Bermuda, we actually clear US immigration at the Bermuda airport.  So no going through immigration at a US airport when landing.    And Global Entry is installed at the Bermuda airport.

• Like 2

Just got off the phone from fixing a minor error in my name (passport has “Jr” suffix...) and asked about changing dates of the flights.  Suprise!  If done after the tickets are booked it is a $350 cancelation fee, plus another $100 deviation fee, per person, and you lose the included transfers.

Tomorrow will be be the 55 days before the cruise, when the tickets are supposed to book...  I was thinking of arriving in Bermuda two days early to avoid the crush on embarkation day.

11 hours ago, MarkBearSF said:

My understanding is that the acceptable tests are a matter of type rather than “brand”.  Bermuda requires a PCR test rather than an antigen variety.  Around here most of the “rapid” tests are of the antigen variety.  I looked at the Costco option and found it WAY more complicated than it seems it should be and the reviews indicated there were instances where results did not get back in a timely manner.  We’re on the sailing on the 6th so we’re concerned about the 4th screwing up the timeline as well.  There are several places close by which will deliver PCR results quickly ... specifically for travel purposes.  We will pay dearly for it but worth the peace of mind.  

I'm sure Viking is busy working with the Bermuda government and things will be worked out by the time we are ready to go.  

It seems governments worldwide are hesitant to give up any of their bureaucracy and are adding, not subtracting, barriers to travel.  I watch much the same on the morning news in other countries.  Makes one wonder what good getting the vax was for us.  And yes, I have heard ad nauseam the various government reasons for prolonging telling us what to do, how to live, and where to go.  This has been a first in history folks, enjoy.  Not the virus as there are hundreds of known examples of epidemial events over the course of history.  No, it's the total coordinated government overreach across many countries.  Scary stuff.  But I surely hope the rules might settle a bit before Viking actually starts these cruises.  The cruise industry very much needs to start operating or there won't be a cruise industry.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I ended up canceling Viking Air and getting my own flights, to arrive a couple of days early.  No cost to cancel, as tickets had not yet been booked.  May purchase the departure transfer from Viking.

Ragnar, Let us know how it goes when you get there! 

Hey all,

The DW and I will be taking the plunge on July 6 (as a couple of you are also).  First cruise since December 2019 and first cruise on Viking Ocean.  We are veteran cruisers, mostly on Royal, Celebrity, and Oceania.  I have been interested in Viking Ocean for a few years now and when I saw they're offering Bermuda sailings we jumped. 

I did a live chat with a Viking rep and she gave me all the right answers, but wondering if there is anything else I should be aware of.  For example, I see that the Viking version of a premium beverage package (Silver Spirits Beverage Package) is $139 per person for the entire week!  That's $20 per day for unlimited top-shelf spirits.  I have NEVER seen a premium beverage package so cheap.  But wait, there's more... the Viking chat lady informed me that the in-cabin mini-bar is replenished every day, including alcoholic beverages which she confirmed are also complimentary, even in a Penthouse Veranda.  It's not that we drink that much (2-3 per day, maybe) and at the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, is there something I'm missing here?  A $139 flat fee that includes tips for premium drinks on a 7-day cruise seems too good to be true.  By contrast, the equivalent package on Oceania is about $420 per person for a 7-day cruise.  Celebrity does include premium drinks with its Retreat level suites, but the cabins are almost double the price if you include air, etc.  Our entire bill for this cruise (including air fare, insurance and beverage pkg)--PV1 Penthouse Veranda 338 square ft cabin--will come under $7400 for the two of us.  This is crazy good.

I hope it doesn't sound as if I am complaining... in fact the value of this cruise is almost off the charts and on paper appears to be well worth the aggravation of flying to Bermuda.  Are these prices normal for Viking Ocean or are they trying to attract new clientele like us (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

• Like 1

the prices are normal for Viking.  Even if you pay as you go at the bar, the prices per drink are very reasonable but would still be in the profitable range for bars, just not exorbitantly so.  Also, Viking treats us as adults.  You are free to bring alcohol onboard and wine you find ashore can be taken to the dining room and staff will serve it to you with no corkage charge.  Add this to the no kids policy and I doubt we will ever stray from Viking.🍷😎

• Like 2

Jim, thank you for the reply.  Yes, there is the absence of corkage fees and I was also informed that you can carry your mini-bar drinks and drinks poured from bottles brought onboard to and from the cabin, unlike some other lines that have restrictions on that.  It keeps getting better.  I may copy your example and stay with Viking! 

What is the no-kids policy?  I figured there would not be too many kids on board, but did not know there was an actual policy.  For example, few children can be seen on Oceania, but they do not have a specific policy on that.

I will wait for Viking  and the government of Bermuda to work things out about testing. BTW,  Bermuda ended their lockdown  yesterday.

Glad I am not sailing till mid July. 

As to getting a Covid test here in MN. I can get a COVID saliva test done and get results in 24 hours. It is free at various sites  in the metro area.  

Edited by Azulann

46 minutes ago, st5310 said:

Hey all,

The DW and I will be taking the plunge on July 6 (as a couple of you are also).  First cruise since December 2019 and first cruise on Viking Ocean.  We are veteran cruisers, mostly on Royal, Celebrity, and Oceania.  I have been interested in Viking Ocean for a few years now and when I saw they're offering Bermuda sailings we jumped. 

I did a live chat with a Viking rep and she gave me all the right answers, but wondering if there is anything else I should be aware of.  For example, I see that the Viking version of a premium beverage package (Silver Spirits Beverage Package) is $139 per person for the entire week!  That's $20 per day for unlimited top-shelf spirits.  I have NEVER seen a premium beverage package so cheap.  But wait, there's more... the Viking chat lady informed me that the in-cabin mini-bar is replenished every day, including alcoholic beverages which she confirmed are also complimentary, even in a Penthouse Veranda.  It's not that we drink that much (2-3 per day, maybe) and at the risk of looking a gift horse in the mouth, is there something I'm missing here?  A $139 flat fee that includes tips for premium drinks on a 7-day cruise seems too good to be true.  By contrast, the equivalent package on Oceania is about $420 per person for a 7-day cruise.  Celebrity does include premium drinks with its Retreat level suites, but the cabins are almost double the price if you include air, etc.  Our entire bill for this cruise (including air fare, insurance and beverage pkg)--PV1 Penthouse Veranda 338 square ft cabin--will come under $7400 for the two of us.  This is crazy good.

I hope it doesn't sound as if I am complaining... in fact the value of this cruise is almost off the charts and on paper appears to be well worth the aggravation of flying to Bermuda.  Are these prices normal for Viking Ocean or are they trying to attract new clientele like us (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

In addition, Viking also provides bottles of drinking water at the gangway, every time you go ashore. The cabins also get filtered still or sparkling water twice per day.

With respect to the SSBP price, Viking does provide comp beer & wine at lunch and dinner. The other factor to consider is the price cruise lines pay for drinks. In my day a bottle was about US $1.50, when our son worked for Princess (10 yrs ago) a bottle cost the officers about US $4.00 and the cruise line still made profit at those prices.

Therefore, Viking's prices are more reasonable, based on the cost structure.

36 minutes ago, st5310 said:

Jim, thank you for the reply.  Yes, there is the absence of corkage fees and I was also informed that you can carry your mini-bar drinks and drinks poured from bottles brought onboard to and from the cabin, unlike some other lines that have restrictions on that.  It keeps getting better.  I may copy your example and stay with Viking! 

What is the no-kids policy?  I figured there would not be too many kids on board, but did not know there was an actual policy.  For example, few children can be seen on Oceania, but they do not have a specific policy on that.

On a number of sailings, Oceania are actively promoting children - especially in Alaska and possibly also the Meddy.

Viking state the ships have no facilities for children to enjoy the cruise and they have no 3rd or 4th berth cabins. Therefore, children must have turned 18 yrs before they can embark on a Viking cruise. Personally, we prefer the Viking model.😀

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Azulann said:

I will wait for Viking  and the government of Bermuda to work things out about testing. BTW,  Bermuda ended their lockdown  yesterday.

Glad I am not sailing till mid July. 

As to getting a Covid test here in MN. I can get a COVID saliva test done and get results in 24 hours. It is free at various sites  in the metro area.  

Does ending the lockdown mean we will be able to go into Bermuda and roam freely?  As I understand it, at the moment we can only enter Bermuda with an excursion.

Another great thing about Viking is their no smoking* policy.  We’ve had many a cruise diminished by smoke issues.

* Well, almost no smoking, those that can’t control their heinous addiction are allowed to damage their health in a small area up by the smokestack.  And if they are caught smoking anywhere else on the ship they are given the boot at the next port.  Same goes for vaping.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Like 3