What on earth is happening with Azamara?

travelinjudy

1 hour ago, uktog said:

So based on the quotes from Norn Iron and Jim I think we can agree to conclude Azamara does indeed have a strategy.....

That's quite a leap, perhaps they do or perhaps not. The truth is none of us actually know.

In my experience, in board meetings or meetings attended by the most senior officers in the organisation an inexplicit statement from someone along the lines of 'lots of planning is going on behind the scenes' usually meant that they were winging it. 

I believe that to be the case with Az currently, but I am sure they will get their act together in time. Clearly your view is different from mine, I am entirely comfortable with that. 

2 minutes ago, hamrag said:

That's quite a leap, perhaps they do or perhaps not. The truth is none of us actually know.

In my experience, in board meetings or meetings attended by the most senior officers in the organisation an inexplicit statement from someone along the lines of 'lots of planning is going on behind the scenes' usually meant that they were winging it. 

I believe that to be the case with Az currently, but I am sure they will get their act together in time. Clearly your view is different from mine, I am entirely comfortable with that. 

Certainly not my experience as a board member in both the public and private sector. We are of course all affected by our individual experiences! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Is the situation the same in all parts of the Greek mainland? I ask because we like to go to the Peloponnese, flying into Kalamata. When we were there last September we were told that there had been very few cases there - do you know of that’s still the case?

This is updated daily and worth looking at the vaccinations also.  https://lab.imedd.org/covid19/?lang=en

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I love this!

I never got a chopper either, but I waited and did eventually get a Peugeot racing bike that was my pride and joy!😎

Phil 

I got a racing bike instead of the chopper, I can't remember the make though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, norn iron said:

I got a racing bike instead of the chopper, I can't remember the make though.

Love your comments.  We never asked for nuthin because we knew the parents didn't have the dough.

Glad you got your Peugeot after patiently waiting.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, norn iron said:

So have I, I've had it 30 years, and whilst the wood is a bit worn the grinder is like the day it was bought.

My dad had two Peugeot cars and they lasted a lot less than thirty years. I guess they were better with wood than 1970s steel!  I persevered and had four Peugeot cars and they were longer lasting by then (and all but one I loved!). 

Apologies. I digress!

Phil 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

My dad had two Peugeot cars and they lasted a lot less than thirty years. I guess they were better with wood than 1970s steel!  I persevered and had four Peugeot cars and they were longer lasting by then (and all but one I loved!). 

Apologies. I digress!

Phil 

Peugeot cars has always been a separate company [same family, different branch] from Peugeot bicycles and pepper grinders.  What the latter two products have in common, ???

Speaking officially as Host, I am pretty lenient on off-topic frolic and detour once the main topic has had a good discussion.  We all succumb to the temptation from time to time, and overall I feel that it adds to the feeling that Cruise Critic is a community and each forum is a neighborhood.  What friendly neighborhood discussion doesn't veer off-topic?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Speaking officially as Host, I am pretty lenient on off-topic frolic and detour once the main topic has had a good discussion.  We all succumb to the temptation from time to time, and overall I feel that it adds to the feeling that Cruise Critic is a community and each forum is a neighborhood.  What friendly neighborhood discussion doesn't veer off-topic?

Absolutely, it's generally a healthy diversion from the main topic.

23 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

The more isolated parts of Greece have a much less infection rate than the busy areas ... Unfortunately, since we also love the Peloponnese area, it is considered a hot spot ...

https://www.garda.com/crisis24/news-alerts/335436/greece-overnight-curfew-implemented-in-kranidi-peloponnese-region-april-21-update-16

Thanks for this, sorry to hear it.

21 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, another chapter to this unfortunate year ... good luck with the rest of the year.

As a side note story ... we were first introduced to the Peloppenese area via an unusual port stop there with Azamara ...

as usual for us,  we walked a bit up away from the main port strip and bumped into a gorgeous little bistro with amazing flowers all around, so we stopped for a wine and snack ...

sure enough, some other Azamara cruisers also wanted to get away from the crowd and made it up to this spot ... they would ask us how it was and we said 'amazing' ...  the owner and his wife just took fantastic care of us ... sure enough, 3 more couples came by and also recognized us and stopped ... another benefit of the small ships!

now there were 4 tables from Azamara! ... the owner bought us another 1/2 liter of wine on the house! ... 🙂 ...

Edited by GlobalMethod
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I absolutely love Greece and it's lifestyle. The mainland and Islands and then up the Adriatic coast towards Venice including Croatia on the way, keeping to the Eastern Mediterranean is my favourite part. So varied and so much to see. I've still got a lot more to do there. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 3

We love the western end of the Peloponnese. The people there are wonderful. We stay at a little apart/hotel in a very small village called Chrani. The family that run it treat all their guests as family members, nothing is too much trouble. Like Azamara, going there is like going home! Its also wonderful value for money

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We love the western end of the Peloponnese. The people there are wonderful. We stay at a little apart/hotel in a very small village called Chrani. The family that run it treat all their guests as family members, nothing is too much trouble. Like Azamara, going there is like going home! Its also wonderful value for money

Greece has many places where the people are wonderful! ... 🙂 ... Nafplio was the place I described in my earlier comment ... Happy Travels!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GlobalMethod said:

Greece has many places where the people are wonderful! ... 🙂 ... Nafplio was the place I described in my earlier comment ... Happy Travels!

Yes, we loved Nafplio too. A couple of years ago we flew to Athens, picked up a car and drove to Chrani, staying at New Epidavrous and Napflio en route, then at Corinth on the way back. That gave us the opportunity to stop to see the amphitheatre at Epidavrous and the site of ancient Corinth, as well as spending some time wandering round (and up and down) the lovely old streets of Nafplio.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

I’m trying to work out how are the current rates in Athens, can you point me to somewhere I could track them in case I did decide to venture over once our government allows

Maybe this isn’t the best topic to post this but in Azamara’s favour for on board bookers  I hope people  don’t forget (especially for those who booked on board with big discounts etc and maybe free days as well) that you are allowed one change moving all the discounts etc. This is working better for us than the lift and shift options presented with the recent cancellation of our 14 night BlackSea cruise in September. It is a real shame that the future Black Sea cruises (2022) are not venturing to Georgia and the Eastern end of The Black Sea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beyond words said:

Maybe this isn’t the best topic to post this but in Azamara’s favour for on board bookers  I hope people  don’t forget (especially for those who booked on board with big discounts etc and maybe free days as well) that you are allowed one change moving all the discounts etc. This is working better for us than the lift and shift options presented with the recent cancellation of our 14 night BlackSea cruise in September. It is a real shame that the future Black Sea cruises (2022) are not venturing to Georgia and the Eastern end of The Black Sea. 

Don't know whether geopolitical issues will affect all Black Sea cruises in the future, but if you want to visit every country around its shores: look at Noble Caledonia:

https://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/tour/2527/black-sea-odyssey-2022/?search_url_id=4

Their fares even include round trip airfare from London!

On 4/28/2021 at 10:52 AM, uktog said:

I’m trying to work out how are the current rates in Athens, can you point me to somewhere I could track them in case I did decide to venture over once our government allows

Sorry but I didn't get the jist of what you were looking for "current rates" ... probably just my aged brain!