CDC Covid testing for international flights

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The cruise line is providing the required test to be able to return home. Nothing anyone needs to worry about. 

Don't you also have to get tested in order to fly into Nassau??  I was actually looking at those cruises today but it looked like the Bahamas require a test 5 days or less before flying in

Just now, molly361 said:

Don't you also have to get tested in order to fly into Nassau??  I was actually looking at those cruises today but it looked like the Bahamas require a test 5 days or less before flying in

Yes, that one is at your expense. 

you were looking at flying...without Dan.😇

What about the flight from US to Nassau? I checked with Walgreens and a PCR test costs 249.00 pp for flying. 149.00 for the quick test but pharmacist told me, the airlines are not going to accept it. This is going to cost 1000.00 for my family of 4. 

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes, that one is at your expense. 

you were looking at flying...without Dan.😇

Actually he did not completely rule out flying as well but I think the test is the deal breaker.  Guess proof of vaccination alone doesn't cut it.  It was fun thinking about it for a little while today

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Actually he did not completely rule out flying as well but I think the test is the deal breaker.  Guess proof of vaccination alone doesn't cut it.  It was fun thinking about it for a little while today

This seems to be getting worse with travel than I thought it would. We are 4 adults Fully vaccinated and now we have to pay an additional 1000.00 for testing. It is obvious the CDC does not want US citizens traveling at all.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

This seems to be getting worse with travel than I thought it would. We are 4 adults Fully vaccinated and now we have to pay an additional 1000.00 for testing. It is obvious the CDC does not want US citizens traveling at all.

Your test that you have to get (I am assuming that is the $1000 you are talking about) has nothing to do with the CDC.  It is a requirement of the Bahamas to enter their country. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

I would recommend shopping around, there are places that normally offer PCR for $100-$125 without insurance. 

Well 500.00 is better than 1000.00. Ive heard horror stories about taking longer than 3 days, at least they are giving 5 days. We will just have to factor in testing as part of the cruise price for our other cruises too.

39 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

What about the flight from US to Nassau? I checked with Walgreens and a PCR test costs 249.00 pp for flying. 149.00 for the quick test but pharmacist told me, the airlines are not going to accept it. This is going to cost 1000.00 for my family of 4. 

WOW! Don't you have free testing sites there? All of our test sites here in CA are free. They do ask for an insurance card, but no out of pocket. 

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The cruise line is providing the required test to be able to return home. Nothing anyone needs to worry about. 

Unless your planning to have a few days post cruise at which point you need to organise and pay for your own test.

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

Probably true but in this case you are blaming the wrong country 

1 minute ago, Heymarco said:

CDC not requiring PCR test, rapid results from Royal will meet entry requirements for US.

From Royal

Q

Currently, the U.S. requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for those arriving into the U.S. by international air. Will Royal Caribbean administer this test? Who pays for it?

A

Royal Caribbean will administer an antigen test onboard the ship, and cover the related cost, should it be required for re-entry into the United States. The test will be administered just before the end of the cruise, and guests will be provided a copy of their test result. Current U.S. requirements stipulate that returning international travelers must get tested no more than 3 days before re-entering the United States. Therefore, cruise guests should plan to fly home within 24 hours of departing the ship, for the test result to be within the valid window. Otherwise, guests re-entering the U.S. at a later date will need to secure their own test, at their expense, closer to their re-entry date.

The international return test for US citizens has been in place since the end of January.  The Bahamas are requiring a test to enter their country and their will be further antigen testing to get on board the cruise ship.  These tests have been known about, by most people, since the new cruises were announced a few weeks ago.  Other than the return trip test for the US, the CDC is not involved in these cruises.  It's a cost to cruise if that's what you decide to do.

Edited by harkinmr

CVS and clinics will test for free if exposed to Covid or have symptoms. If you lie and say you were exposed they want tracing. For travel it has to be the PCR  and need to upload to a special app. This just came out today, maybe they will give better info later. I thought having the vaccine would be enough but i was fooling myself.

2 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

CVS and clinics will test for free if exposed to Covid or have symptoms. If you lie and say you were exposed they want tracing. For travel it has to be the PCR  and need to upload to a special app. This just came out today, maybe they will give better info later. I thought having the vaccine would be enough but i was fooling myself.

In the UK and EU airlines are lobbying various governments to only use the inexpensive antigen tests not the expensive PCR as they believe expensive tests will hurt travel industry.

When we can finally travel a £750 holiday to Spain for 4 will now cost me £1750 with the rules currently in place.

I haven’t read the Royal Caribbean FAQ, so I apologize if it’s in there...  have they indicated what will happen if you’re vaccinated and on a cruise; they do a test a couple days before disembarkation day; and you now test positive.  You can be fully vaccinated and still catch and carry the virus.  Supposedly, you’re less susceptible to it, but it’s possible.  What happens? And who arranges and pays for what happens?

Edited by MeHeartCruising

2 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

I haven’t read the Royal Caribbean FAQ, so I apologize if it’s in there...  have they indicated what will happen if you’re vaccinated and on a cruise; they do a test a couple days before disembarkation day; and you now test positive.  You can be fully vaccinated and still catch and carry the virus.  Supposedly, you’re less susceptible to it, but it’s possible.  What happens? And who arranges and pays for what happens?

RC will pay for everything to get you through quarantine and back home.

Edited by smokeybandit

2 hours ago, sugcarol said:

Last I checked cvs is $139 for pcr tests used for travel.  

I suspect a lot of people will be completing the online survey for cvs/walgreens saying they were exposed to someone with covid or have symptoms so their test will be free.

I have been tested several times at cvs with pcr tests and no tracing was ever done.  They simply email you the results or send you link to go their lab site to get results.  They do have an app you can use but you dont have to.  

Also, check your the airport you are leaving from.  Some are offering either free tests or up to $75 pp for pcr tests to help the travel industry.

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

WOW! Don't you have free testing sites there? All of our test sites here in CA are free. They do ask for an insurance card, but no out of pocket. 

We all have free testing, but if you say you need it for travel then you pay for it.  Figure if you can afford to travel then the government shouldnt pay for your test.

• Thanks 1

I’ve been tested several times along with other family members in the last year to fly to Puerto Rico where I’m from. A PCR test is required to fly there. I have not paid out of pocket for a single one of them. Health insurance information is requested at the time the test is administered but I have never been asked if it’s for travel purposes and I have never received a single bill for one of them. I’m guessing the same would apply if I were to fly somewhere for the purpose of cruising. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I’ve been tested several times along with other family members in the last year to fly to Puerto Rico where I’m from. A PCR test is required to fly there. I have not paid out of pocket for a single one of them. Health insurance information is requested at the time the test is administered but I have never been asked if it’s for travel purposes and I have never received a single bill for one of them. I’m guessing the same would apply if I were to fly somewhere for the purpose of cruising. 

All of my pcr tests have been done at cvs pharmacy.  When you fill out their appointment questions one of them is the purpose of this test for travel.  If so then you must pay out of pocket.

Where you do get tested that they dont ask if for travel?