CDC Covid testing for international flights

3 hours ago, sugcarol said:

Here is link to Bahamas current travel requirements 

https://www.bahamas.com/tourism-reopening

You have to follow all their steps and i believe you have to apply for their health visa, unless Rcl is covering that for everyone that flies in same day of the cruise embarkment.

What about the flight from US to Nassau? I checked with Walgreens and a PCR test costs 249.00 pp for flying. 149.00 for the quick test but pharmacist told me, the airlines are not going to accept it. This is going to cost 1000.00 for my family of 4. 

PCR test is not fully accurate either. Know someone that got a positive with zero symptoms but he had the flu two months prior. Had to get another one quickly and it was negative and then he could fly to Aruba. The whole thing is a joke. I think CVS around here is $129 for the test. No thanks. Why bother with the vaccine if you don't really need it. They told us when we had the vaccine it would be all good. 

• Like 3

No, this is just clarifying the verification process (which is an undue burden on airlines which should be on the CDC's back, but I digress).  Just helps them know what's a real (or nicely faked) test result

• Like 1

Just seems like more hoops to jump through, will it really be a stressfree  vacation after worrying about all the tests and so forth.

I think not, I wouldn't cruise now until it's allowed from US Ports.

If you have issues and it being out of the country, just not a good feeling. If the issues happen in the US that is something that we can easily deal with.

I wouldn't do a cruise out of the country right now. Just not worth it.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Just seems like more hoops to jump through, will it really be a stressfree  vacation after worrying about all the tests and so forth.

I think not, I wouldn't cruise now until it's allowed from US Ports.

If you have issues and it being out of the country, just not a good feeling. If the issues happen in the US that is something that we can easily deal with.

I wouldn't do a cruise out of the country right now. Just not worth it.

Based on statements made by the various cruise lines over the last week or so, it would appear that testing is going to be a condition for sailing out of US ports, notwithstanding the requirement for a vaccine.  PCR tests will probably be required before departing for a cruise from home and then an antigen test at embarkation and disembarkation.  So the uncertainty will still exist, but at least cruisers won't be leaving the US first.

15 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Based on statements made by the various cruise lines over the last week or so, it would appear that testing is going to be a condition for sailing out of US ports, notwithstanding the requirement for a vaccine.  PCR tests will probably be required before departing for a cruise from home and then an antigen test at embarkation and disembarkation.  So the uncertainty will still exist, but at least cruisers won't be leaving the US first.

Yup, but at least if issues arise we would be in America.

Not going to get my self caught in Nassau, Bahamas or Europe.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

All of my pcr tests have been done at cvs pharmacy.  When you fill out their appointment questions one of them is the purpose of this test for travel.  If so then you must pay out of pocket.

Where you do get tested that they dont ask if for travel?

County and city test sites. Pharmacies, including CVS and Walgreens. The covid testing is free here. 

6 hours ago, sugcarol said:

It applies to flight FROM Nassau to the US. I have not seen anything where Royal describes the testing that they will provide to passengers prior to return to the US (or home county); just wild, unsubstantiated speculation. And we are booked on the Adventure out of Nassau and have only received a link to the Bahama travel website. 

To enter the Bahamas, you must apply for a Travel Health Visa ($70 for stays longer than 5 days) which includes COVID-19 health insurance. Prior to flying to Nassau, you must complete a PCR test at home and upload the results to their Visa site to complete the registration process. 

Edited by BirdTravels

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Last I checked cvs is $139 for pcr tests used for travel.  

I suspect a lot of people will be completing the online survey for cvs/walgreens saying they were exposed to someone with covid or have symptoms so their test will be free.

Here PCR tests are free if you have symptoms or think you have been exposed to someone with Covid. I know from my contacts in aviation that a lot of people who travelled last autumn complained of a frequent cough, (one of the recognised symptoms) to get the test for free. Not sure if that's still happening 😡

Edited by sgmn

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

pixel.labcorp.com has tests you can do at home and then drop off at a FedEx location for $119 or free if symptomatic.  Do need insurance.

That's convenient, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the 3-4 day turnaround once you factor in shipping time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nomad098 said:

Currently, the U.S. requires proof of a negative COVID-19 test result for those arriving into the U.S. by international air. Will Royal Caribbean administer this test? Who pays for it?

In a related story, hundreds of thousands of people are arriving at our southern border on foot as no negative testing for entry is required.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Tippyton said:

In a related story, hundreds of thousands of people are arriving at our southern border on foot as no negative testing for entry is required.

On cruise ships?  I thought this was a cruise ship forum. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, RoyalC said:

Why bother with the vaccine if you don't really need it. They told us when we had the vaccine it would be all good. 

Imo, when the us reaches majority of people vaccinated and herd immunity is achieved we should be good.  That's why you should get vaccinated!

3 hours ago, jean87510 said:

pixel.labcorp.com has tests you can do at home and then drop off at a FedEx location for $119 or free if symptomatic.  Do need insurance.

I dont That will work for travelers that have to have test done 3 to 5 days before travel.   Takes too long to get results with shipping times factored in.

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

Here PCR tests are free if you have symptoms or think you have been exposed to someone with Covid. I know from my contacts in aviation that a lot of people who travelled last autumn complained of a frequent cough, (one of the recognised symptoms) to get the test for free. Not sure if that's still happening 😡

Yes, it is easy to get free test if you are comfortable with saying you had symptoms or close contact to someone with covid vs telling the truth you need for travel.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It applies to flight FROM Nassau to the US. I have not seen anything where Royal describes the testing that they will provide to passengers prior to return to the US (or home county); just wild, unsubstantiated speculation. And we are booked on the Adventure out of Nassau and have only received a link to the Bahama travel website. 

To enter the Bahamas, you must apply for a Travel Health Visa ($70 for stays longer than 5 days) which includes COVID-19 health insurance. Prior to flying to Nassau, you must complete a PCR test at home and upload the results to their Visa site to complete the registration process. 

I wonder if you can do the $40 health visa since you are not actually staying in bahamas for the entire trip.  Has Rcl published any guidelines on that?

I know a lot of countries/islands are requiring purchase of health visa.  Aruba has been doing this since last summer.  Is Bermuda doing this too?  

I wanted to test the system to see if I could indeed get a free test here in GA, so I went on the website for the department of health to attempt to schedule a free covid test. It did ask if I've had symptoms, been exposed, if I've had or if I'm the caregiver of someone over the age of 60. I answered NO to all of the questions to see if it would allow me to proceed, and it did. It said that I'm eligible to take a test and took me to the next screen to schedule the appointment.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Phl airport is offering testing $99 with results in 2 to 3 days.  If you want results in 24 hrs the cost is $149.

Not sure I’d go through the hassle of going to the airport for an RT-PCR test, especially when they’re only committing to results within 72 hours.    I’m not sure what it’s like for you but an airport isn’t convenient to just visit in Chicago.

There are different PCR tests.  As stated earlier the Bahamas requires a rt-pcr test.  It can be no older than 5 days and you must have the results before you apply for the health visa.

If you get a free test by saying you were exposed to COVID or have symptoms you most likely won’t get on the cruise no matter what the test results are.

The turn around time for the rt-pcr test is the most important factor for. picking a site for testing.  

rt-pcr tests are very accurate.

Edited by later

Testing-Testing-Testing.

Tell me again why they want us to get vaccinated?  Wasn't there supposed to be a positive outcome?

Seems even with vaccinations, they are moving the goal post.  Nothing changes.  Nothing for the better anyway.

Very disappointing to say the least.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lgonquin said:

Testing-Testing-Testing.

Tell me again why they want us to get vaccinated?  Wasn't there supposed to be a positive outcome?

Seems even with vaccinations, they are moving the goal post.  Nothing changes.  Nothing for the better anyway.

Very disappointing to say the least.

Ya.  I know.  I mean who cares that vaccinations will help control the spread (including variants), help us to achieve herd immunity, and keep more people from getting severely ill and dying.  The testing stuff is just crap and a total inconvenience. 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I dont That will work for travelers that have to have test done 3 to 5 days before travel.   Takes too long to get results with shipping times factored in.

actually it takes 48-72 hours.  I used it in December when covid testing was very high and it was difficult to get an appointment.  We ordered the kit in mid November, submitted our samples in a FedEx pickup box early Monday am and had my husband's results by Wednesday and my results online by Thursday am.  Our flight was Thursday.  We had our results loaded into the Bahamas app and in about 20 minutes got the green light to travel.  Part of your cost was the FedEx shipping.  It was easy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That's convenient, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the 3-4 day turnaround once you factor in shipping time.

FedEx and results online in 48-72 hours.  There are people who have been flying to bahamas have used it in the past few months.  I learned about it from TripAdvisor travel forum.  And actually used it.  Faster than cvs which I also have used.