EU will start to allow fully vaccinated US citizens this summer

jonbgd

19 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I take it the virus is more active between 10PM - 5AM. Maybe a Transylvania variant.

When Mike was in Barcelona recently they had the same curfew there. He said the same thing to me. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Reported in my BBC feed today that Portugal is down to zero deaths, great news 👍

Great news for me as I have 2 holidays booked there this year. Keeping fingers firmly crossed 😁

• Like 1

22 hours ago, parachutes63 said:

Great Britain and Ireland are not part of the EU. They will make there own decisions. 

That should read Great Britain and Northern Ireland are not part of the EU, Ireland is part of the EU

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bobal said:

Great news for me as I have 2 holidays booked there this year. Keeping fingers firmly crossed 😁

4 months til our Spanish Island holiday. Some EU countries are high now, but lots can change in the next few months. Still time for a late summer cruise, or two.🤣

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

I assume you read the whole article or you wouldn't have linked it.

Quote:

"French President Emmanuel Macron told CBS News on Sunday that France will start to lift travel restrictions starting in May, citing a possible vaccination passport to allow a person to travel. These enhanced travel privileges would affect non-European Union nations, such as the United States."

That sure sounds a lot more hopeful than "France is still on lockdown." Yes, for now, but as the article you shared points out, France is about to start easing restrictions. Same in Italy, Spain and other countries. BTW Croatia is already open to tourists and Greece is about to. Things are looking up!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, crazyank said:

Focus on possible. Still a LOT of negotiating to do.  

We haven't traveled to Europe since October 2019. At this point, I'll take any good news I can get. Please don't rain on my parade. Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

We haven't traveled to Europe since October 2019. At this point, I'll take any good news I can get. Please don't rain on my parade. Thank you for your consideration.

Rain on your parade?  Wouldn't dream of it.  The simple truth is Europe is desparate for tourist $$,  but the politicians will delay any agreement by talking endlessly.  

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

Rain on your parade?  Wouldn't dream of it.  The simple truth is Europe is desparate for tourist $$,  but the politicians will delay any agreement by talking endlessly.  

Wouldn't dream of it? Hmmm...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rain on someone's parade

It means to spoil someone's pleasure. Saying "the politicians will delay any agreement by talking endlessly" IS, in fact, raining on my parade. I just don't know why so many people on this site have to see literally ANY development that's beneficial to cruising, as a negative. Every single time. 😢

I guess only time will tell what actually happens, negative predictions notwithstanding.

23 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wouldn't dream of it? Hmmm...

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rain on someone's parade

It means to spoil someone's pleasure. Saying "the politicians will delay any agreement by talking endlessly" IS, in fact, raining on my parade. I just don't know why so many people on this site have to see literally ANY development that's beneficial to cruising, as a negative. Every single time. 😢

I guess only time will tell what actually happens, negative predictions notwithstanding.

I think people have simply become jaded with the constant double talk, back tracking, and moving of goal posts  by politicians over the past 1+ years. People are simply weary and frustrated. It is human nature. The politicians and media have only compounded the reaction. Don't take it personally.

• Like 3

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

I think people have simply become jaded with the constant double talk, back tracking, and moving of goal posts  by politicians over the past 1+ years. People are simply weary and frustrated. It is human nature. The politicians and media have only compounded the reaction. Don't take it personally.

I'm trying not to take it personally, but I, for one, have gotten sick and tired of bad news. This past year has seen a LOT of it. Lots of cancellations, lots of deaths, lots of plans shelved or postponed indefinitely, etc. I think you know all of that. So when the clouds appear to be lifting and there are some encouraging signs on the horizon, it's irritating to have someone jump in with YET MORE bad news, or at least a negative SPIN on the news. Negativity is the last thing we need more of right now.

• Like 1

Good news on the European front:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain/spain-to-open-borders-on-june-21-to-most-european-visitors-including-british-idUSKBN23L0FE

Note that this will be good for Europeans only, at first, but anything that hints towards an easing of restrictions is a good thing for the travel sector generally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-spain/spain-to-open-borders-on-june-21-to-most-european-visitors-including-british-idUSKBN23L0FE

Note that this will be good for Europeans only, at first, but anything that hints towards an easing of restrictions is a good thing for the travel sector generally.

And no mention at all of vaccines.  That's awesome.

18 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

And no mention at all of vaccines.  That's awesome.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

This article is from June 2020. The reason there is no mention of vaccines is that there were none 10 months ago when they're s article was written. 

2 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

This article is from June 2020. The reason there is no mention of vaccines is that there were none 10 months ago when they're s article was written. 

Oh....sorry.  I didn't look at the date.  Thanks !

5 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Well spotted! Sorry about that.

Here are a couple from a series of articles about the 2021 restart. Just type "Spain reopens to tourism" into your browser's search engine.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/27/spain-to-welcome-overseas-travellers-with-covid-certificates-from-june

https://djmag.com/news/ibiza-will-be-open-tourists-june-tourism-minister-says

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

I'm trying not to take it personally, but I, for one, have gotten sick and tired of bad news. This past year has seen a LOT of it. Lots of cancellations, lots of deaths, lots of plans shelved or postponed indefinitely, etc. I think you know all of that. So when the clouds appear to be lifting and there are some encouraging signs on the horizon, it's irritating to have someone jump in with YET MORE bad news, or at least a negative SPIN on the news. Negativity is the last thing we need more of right now.

Oh if we only could live in an echo chamber of our own thoughts and opinions.  Shame on those with a different, or perhaps more realistic, perspective on the "news".  Certainly not on those who think there is conspiracy around the corner with every step that the CDC takes or doesn't take.  My husband tends to be one who whines and complains about all the "bad news" with this pandemic.  I probably shouldn't be telling him to grow up...