EU will start to allow fully vaccinated US citizens this summer

jonbgd

6 hours ago, jonbgd said:

Don't get your hopes up just yet. She can talk all she wants, each individual country has to make a decision to allow international tourists. And, each country has to decide when to open their cruise ports. The EU can advise but cannot force countries to do anything.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Germany is a great example on how masks and lockdowns don't work

Think the Kent variant is very easy to catch (which is why UK spike was so high over winter) and that'd why Germany has spiked also.  Plus lockdown and mask fatigue is kicking in in most countries 

Edited by sgmn

In Switzerland they did some reopening as of a week ago: terraces of bars and restaurants are open, cinemas etc open with limited audience, shops are all open and of course masks inside and on busy outside places. 

In Austria there are regional approaches depending on the situaion in the ICUs and their 7 day incidence rate.  Vienna will remain on hard lockdown at least until middle of May, in the west of Austria they opened bars and restaurants a month ago with entry tests but now they have the highest incidents in Austria and you have to do a test when you try to leave the region.... Then they are expecting foreign tourists  because of a lot of public holidays so hopefully quarantine rules are gone (at the moment all hotels are still closed unless for unavoidable business trips) - but in Switzerland hotels have remained open the entire time. 

• Like 1

There are so many wonderful things to see and do in this country, I think I’ll stay in my neck of the woods until the case numbers go down to a significant level globally.  Sure, I’ll miss traveling but waiting another year is probably the wisest thing considering what is going on in the world.

• Like 7

Many places have already been open to travel and their is no indication that it affected people.  Vaccines work.  It's time to start allowing travel for vaccinated people.....and non vaccinated people next year when the numbers really drop.  The non-vaccinated are also afraid, so it wouldn't matter to them if they can't travel.

20 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Many places have already been open to travel and their is no indication that it affected people.  Vaccines work.  It's time to start allowing travel for vaccinated people.....and non vaccinated people next year when the numbers really drop.  The non-vaccinated are also afraid, so it wouldn't matter to them if they can't travel.

There is also the concern that the travel experience is not going to be what people are used to. I'm fully vaccinated and not afraid to travel but what I find when I get there -- lots of places closed, hours and capacity limited, masks, further spikes etc. etc. does not make for an enjoyable trip. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I take it the virus is more active between 10PM - 5AM. Maybe a Transylvania variant.

Probably spreads easier when people gather after dark, party scene, bars and such. Maybe they have government there monitoring things.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

There is also the concern that the travel experience is not going to be what people are used to. I'm fully vaccinated and not afraid to travel but what I find when I get there -- lots of places closed, hours and capacity limited, masks, further spikes etc. etc. does not make for an enjoyable trip. 

Well, exactly - I miss traveling so much, but right now I know what I'm getting into in the US - besides, our economy needs my support right now and so I will stay home until things settle down - however long that may take.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Probably spreads easier when people gather after dark, party scene, bars and such. Maybe they have government there monitoring things.

That's the thought process of the curfews that were put into place here -- especially South Beach.  After a certain time, the drinking and partying and loosened inhibitions get out of hand and that's a recipe for Covid spread.  The businesses did not like the curfew because they make a lot of money later in the night but for the sake of safety and health it had to be done. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mek said:

Well, exactly - I miss traveling so much, but right now I know what I'm getting into in the US - besides, our economy needs my support right now and so I will stay home until things settle down - however long that may take.

I agree -- staycations never looked so good.  It won't kill us to put off international travel when we've got all sorts of attractions right here in our own backyard -- many to be newly discovered. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

The non-vaccinated are also afraid, so it wouldn't matter to them if they can't travel.

There is a difference between fearing the vaccine and fearing covid.  Many who won't get vaccinated are NOT afraid of covid and are travelling now and will continue to do so.

• Like 2