Does Oceania offer discounts or special amenities to large group leaders?

Petoonya

I have a CC friend from the PG board who regularly leads groups to Tahiti. He's been doing it for some years, and says he thinks he can get a group of 25 cruisers for Tahiti on O. Now has presented a proposal to O and has heard nothing back after over a week. I told him I sincerely doubt O does this, and the Tahiti cruises sell out early anyway. He hasn't said if he's looking for free passage or a discounted rate.

I'm just curious- anyone know if O does this? Jan Cruz?

Edited by Petoonya

11 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I know he has a TA but think he approached O directly. I'll find out.

Is this guy willing to assume the risks? If the cruise goes belly-up (even if he uses a TA), some folks will be knocking on his door.

A top selling TA for O would do far better than he could in terms of group rates, added perks from TA consortia, etc. 

Of course, a group rate is directly negotiable. But, it’s going to be something along the lines of a free cabin per X cabins. And- anyone who organizes group trips will tell you that freebie may be the most expensive cruise that person has ever “paid” for.

I’d concentrate on working with a TA who will share commissions. And, if it was me, I’d pass some of that on to those who joined my group as non-refundable SBC - nice gesture.

Thanks- he keeps his requests for himself very close to his vest. But I suspect he requested free passage at the minimum. He says he has a TA who is not an O connoisseur, but has 20 agents working under her. She must know her stuff, as she books his PG groups for him, and he's running three alone in 2022. I don't doubt he has a sizeable following- big group with his Tahiti Facebook page and has a weekly online show highlighting Tahiti. If anyone could collect a big group it would be him. He knows his Tahiti. And I had the number he feels he could attract wrong. 25 cabins, not 25 cruisers.

I'm really interested in your comment about his free cruise being one of the most expensive he's paid for. ???? He loves doing this and is a very engaging personality. Also a photographer who sells Tahiti on CC alone with his beautiful work.

He said he considered Windstar but that his TA felt that WS is more of a financial risk than O. I'm curious about that as everyone I've spoken with says WS is very stable. Or maybe I just want to to think that because I have two upcoming cruises with them.

Hope to hear back from you and anyone else who has thoughts I could pass on to him. Or ask him to read this thread.

To expect an answer in one week on your friends proposal is not realistic. I am sure the legal dept of O and its marketing staff need to review all aspects of the request.  Perhaps O needs more more information on the proposal  ... just guessing. 

19 minutes ago, Noxequifans said:

To expect an answer in one week on your friends proposal is not realistic. I am sure the legal dept of O and its marketing staff need to review all aspects of the request.  Perhaps O needs more more information on the proposal  ... just guessing. 

I think he was more disappointed that the proposal was not even acknowledged. He has a considerable track record under his belt, so seems like O would be friendly and encouraging at least. I'll report more details as I hear them. Turns out Wind Spirit isn't realistic for him as he gets too many requests for suites and Spirit has one only. Cruising the yacht-like Wind Spirit would be slumming it for many.

I did PG many years ago, and while I can't say that I've disliked any cruise, I was uncomfortable cruising that ship. The "authentic experience" was hokey to me. But many are entranced by it, so can see why he has done well running groups on it. Plus he's a natural salesman.

51 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks- he keeps his requests for himself very close to his vest. But I suspect he requested free passage at the minimum. He says he has a TA who is not an O connoisseur, but has 20 agents working under her. She must know her stuff, as she books his PG groups for him, and he's running three alone in 2022. I don't doubt he has a sizeable following- big group with his Tahiti Facebook page and has a weekly online show highlighting Tahiti. If anyone could collect a big group it would be him. He knows his Tahiti. And I had the number he feels he could attract wrong. 25 cabins, not 25 cruisers.

I'm really interested in your comment about his free cruise being one of the most expensive he's paid for. ???? He loves doing this and is a very engaging personality. Also a photographer who sells Tahiti on CC alone with his beautiful work.

He said he considered Windstar but that his TA felt that WS is more of a financial risk than O. I'm curious about that as everyone I've spoken with says WS is very stable. Or maybe I just want to to think that because I have two upcoming cruises with them.

Hope to hear back from you and anyone else who has thoughts I could pass on to him. Or ask him to read this thread.

As a younger fellow, I did some tour organization for alpine skiing trips in the US and Austria. But, I had sponsoring organizations including universities and, in the case of Austria, it’s own tourism bureau (long story) who assumed the risk.

Regardless of how many FaceBook pages et al., this fellow has: If he is “selling” travel to residents of certain states (e.g., California), he needs to be aware of (and comply with) registering his business as a “seller of travel” with the Secretary of State or other appropriate agency, etc.

Let’s put it this way: If major issues should arise (e.g., the very real possibility of future Covid related re-lockdown) that affects any aspect of the trip in which he played an organizational role, can he cover the cost of reasonable refund demands that are refused by the cruise line or the TA he uses, blah, blah, blah...

And, if all he’s doing is feeding names to a TA for a kickback, I’d pass on that signup. I would however consider going with a bona fide group like an alumni association which is a completely different scenario.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

5 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

I think he was more disappointed that the proposal was not even acknowledged. He has a considerable track record under his belt, so seems like O would be friendly and encouraging at least. I'll report more details as I hear them. Turns out Wind Spirit isn't realistic for him as he gets too many requests for suites and Spirit has one only. Cruising the yacht-like Wind Spirit would be slumming it for many.

I did PG many years ago, and while I can't say that I've disliked any cruise, I was uncomfortable cruising that ship. The "authentic experience" was hokey to me. But many are entranced by it, so can see why he has done well running groups on it. Plus he's a natural salesman.

Reality check: Even with 25 cabins, he’s a rounding error in any cruise line’s daily bottom line. Again, he should use one of O’s top selling TAs.

@Noxequifans

I think he just wanted acknowledgment of his proposal.  But felt they weren't encouraging without some kind of a reply. I have no clue how these things work.

@Flatbush Flyer

I will definitely ask that my friend read this. Interesting stuff. And I encouraged him to use an O agent, but he feels he knows better. I'll be sure to report how this all comes out in the wash.

Edited by Petoonya

Hi there!

Yes his TA put the proposal to the group department.

I did two of the O PPT-LA cruises 2018 and 2019, and the short 10 day Tahiti cruises had sold out months before sailing. Again while they didn't get off, the same itineraries in 2020 had sold out. And 2022/2023 will probably be even better if we're sailing at that point.

So as you suggest it may be that O doesn't have to jump at groups- giving away very popular itineraries.

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya

So much here.

First, historically they haven’t been overly popular cruises. That’s why Oceania pulled the Marina out of the FP , and now only runs smaller R ships there. Our 2019 12 dayMarina cruise there had about 800 aboard.Selling out a R ship isn’t all that difficult.

These are unusual times and some people want to cruise. Oceania might not have to deal as much as in the past, especially only running small ships there. Plus, they are currently running very short staff to conserve cash. 

On a person note, I help set up private tours on my Roll Calls. Don’t make a penny for the work and time expended. Just share in lower costs than Oceania’s outrageous prices. OTH, I personally run private group wine tours both nationally and internationally. They are infinitely more work than a private shore tour. I price my tours to sell and fill. I don’t do the work for the grins. If you don’t like the price, don’t book my wine tour!!! Pretty simple to me. Some posters here are fanatical about the possibility that an Travel Agent or Agency might make a dime off them.. My Travel Agent runs group tours on Oceania and other lines, appealing to different portions of her clientele. Even though I can answer the original question, I don’t consider it your business. If you don’t like the price don’t book. Find a better deal, it’s OK. If my TA gets this grats or that, it’s neither my business nor yours. In the US we live in a capitalist society, people work for money. If you don’t like the price, don’t book!!!

Rant over.🥂

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

So much here.

First, historically they haven’t been overly popular cruises. That’s why Oceania pulled the Marina out of the FP , and now only runs smaller R ships there. Our 2019 12 dayMarina cruise there had about 800 aboard.Selling out a R ship isn’t all that difficult.

These are unusual times and some people want to cruise. Oceania might not have to deal as much as in the past, especially only running small ships there. Plus, they are currently running very short staff to conserve cash. 

On a person note, I help set up private tours on my Roll Calls. Don’t make a penny for the work and time expended. Just share in lower costs than Oceania’s outrageous prices. OTH, I personally run private group wine tours both nationally and internationally. They are infinitely more work than a private shore tour. I price my tours to sell and fill. I don’t do the work for the grins. If you don’t like the price, don’t book my wine tour!!! Pretty simple to me. Some posters here are fanatical about the possibility that an Travel Agent or Agency might make a dime off them.. My Travel Agent runs group tours on Oceania and other lines, appealing to different portions of her clientele. Even though I can answer the original question, I don’t consider it your business. If you don’t like the price don’t book. Find a better deal, it’s OK. If my TA gets this grats or that, it’s neither my business nor yours. In the US we live in a capitalist society, people work for money. If you don’t like the price, don’t book!!!

Rant over.🥂

I haven't looked at O's recent Tahiti offerings, but in the past I know that they always insisted on cruising there at the absolute worst time of the year, when it was rainiest and most humid. The temperature in Tahiti doesn't vary much throughout the year, but the humidity is a killer in our winter months (southern hemisphere's summer). Total deal-breaker for me. But then I'm humidophobic.

We had a group of 15 and no organizer got anything free, but all of us got extra OBC and free Gratuities.  We are all friends and anything extra is shared. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeno said:

We had a group of 15 and no organizer got anything free, but all of us got extra OBC and free Gratuities.  We are all friends and anything extra is shared. 

Did you arrange it through a TA?  If not, how did the process actually work?

1 hour ago, avalong said:

I'm pretty sure I know the poster of which you speak. LOL indeed!

And you do know!

He's a nice guy and gives a lot of invaluable info to the boards.

Edited by Petoonya

3 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Did you arrange it through a TA?  If not, how did the process actually work?

We originally arranged with Oceania rep.  He said once we got a certain number of cabins (5?) he would turn us into a group and we would get additional perks.  We told him right away it would be several cabins. We then all moved to an independent TA that was one of the Oceania Concierge or some other similar description. He worked with Oceania and got us something else.