Tell me about Oceania

Laszlo

I think it’s been well established that NCLH is currently running minimally staffed currently in order to converse cash. That means that response from those staffs will be slower than during normal times. Since nothing is sailing, nor scheduled to do so in months, nothing is therefore critical enough to require immediate response.

FWIW, I have always found the service level from my TA to be far superior compared to reports here from those that insist upon diy directly to Oceania, even in normal times.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

No call, email. I filled out the form online for a quote. It took two days for someone to respond. I do 99% of my travel plans online or via email because I like a paper trail. Anyway the women ask me about our dates, gave them to her along with the type of cabin we would like (same email I sent to our TA) That was two days ago. My TA has already given me prices and info on the cruises. I wanted to see if dealing direct saved me anything

I am just curious.  What do you have to send in a request for a quote instead of just getting the cost via the website?  Is the quote directly from Oceania different than what you see on the website sometimes?

or is because of the air component or something else?

My TA quote was the exact same Oceania quote, except for a generous TA OBC.

I am just trying to understand for future reference.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I am just curious.  What do you have to send in a request for a quote instead of just getting the cost via the website?  Is the quote directly from Oceania different than what you see on the website sometimes?

It's BS, you can't get a quote online, don't ask me why. You pick a cruise date, pick a cabin category then hit "Get A Quote" or something to that effect

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

It's BS, you can't get a quote online, don't ask me why. You pick a cruise date, pick a cabin category then hit "Get A Quote" or something to that effect

Don’t bother with get a quote - just make a “dummy” booking online and stop before you have to make a deposit.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

We always use a TA. But, most of our initial bookings are “book onboard” (for those perks/discounts) assigned to ourselves and then transferred to one of our preferred TAs within the 30 day transfer window.

Depending on high cabin demand for cruises that interest us when we’re not onboard, we’ll  usually book with whichever of our preferred TAs currently have an O “quiet sale” and/or special TA consortium perks (plus whatever commission sharing they can handle).

That said, there’s also certain circumstances where our initial booking is made with a long-serving, trusted O reservations rep (e.g., where there are multiple FCCs involved -particularly including any that would require a “cruise by” deadline extension or other reasonable booking exceptions for the cruise(s) we have in mind. Of course, any of our TAs (all top sellers of O) could probably get the reasonable extension/exception. But, I prefer to keep them as a backup for added pressure (which I have not yet needed to use).

And, of course, we still then have the 30 day TA transfer window.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Laszlo said:

I seemed to have upset you.  Do as Paulchili says and you will get the Oceania price. 

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Don’t bother with get a quote - just make a “dummy” booking online and stop before you have to make a deposit.

Hi @Laszlo,
We are also giving Oceania a "trial run" within the coming year (fingers crossed!). I think instead of trying to get a quote, you might be happier with the search option on the O website (Upper left "Plan Your Cruise" menu, choose "Find A Cruise"). I love just surfing around checking the possibilities! Here is a link to Riviera voyages in Dec, Jan, Feb:
https://www.oceaniacruises.com/cruise-finder#time_frame=2021-12|2022-1|2022-2&ship=RVA&sort=departureDate:asc&page=1&pageSize=10
If you click on "View Pricing and Details", you'll see both "cruise-only" and "O-life fare with airfare" prices; to estimate the air-credit, take the larger fare minus the smaller fare, then subtract the value of the "O-life OBC option", and you will be close (if not spot on) the airfare credit (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!). You can also start a mock-booking (as suggested earlier) by clicking on your cabin-choice in the "Availability" column. When a log-on request pops up, just choose to continue as a guest. I do this to see which rooms are available so I have a short-list before I talk to my TA...fun, fun, fun!

Why did I include December? If you are not married to (sorry, couldn't resist!) Jan-Feb, there is an awesomely priced cruise Dec 13-23 to the Mayan coast for ~$250 per person per day in Concierge Veranda (maybe due to the proximity to holidays?). This seems like a very reasonable price for a test drive. If there is a Memorial Day sale the price might get better. My TA also had some additional OBC and will alert me if I can get a better price than I already have.

We're really looking forward to this new version of transport for us. Oceania looks like it's going to be a fantastic option for visiting new places! I hope you enjoy it, and congratulations on 30 years of marriage!
Best wishes,
Kathleen

Edited by AMHuntFerry
typo
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If you click on "View Pricing and Details", you'll see both "cruise-only" and "O-life fare with airfare" prices; to estimate the air-credit, take the larger fare minus the smaller fare, then subtract the value of the "O-life OBC option", and you will be close (if not spot on) the airfare credit (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!). You can also start a mock-booking (as suggested earlier) by clicking on your cabin-choice in the "Availability" column. When a log-on request pops up, just choose to continue as a guest. I do this to see which rooms are available so I have a short-list before I talk to my TA...fun, fun, fun!

You are sort of wrong (by involving the SBC).

I understand what you are trying to do but,

the “O Life w/air” and “cruise only” prices are per person while the O Life SBC stated is per cabin.

In any case, it is much easier to do what I suggested in my earlier post:

O website

Find a Cruise

Select O Life (w/air) cabin category 

On next page, check “no air”

See a lesser fare for same O Life cabin

Difference between O Life “with” and “without” fares is the air credit! 

51 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Hi @Laszlo,
We are also giving Oceania a "trial run" within the coming year (fingers crossed!). I think instead of trying to get a quote, you might be happier with the search option on the O website (Upper left "Plan Your Cruise" menu, choose "Find A Cruise"). I love just surfing around checking the possibilities! Here is a link to Riviera voyages in Dec, Jan, Feb:
https://www.oceaniacruises.com/cruise-finder#time_frame=2021-12|2022-1|2022-2&ship=RVA&sort=departureDate:asc&page=1&pageSize=10

Why did I include December? If you are not married to (sorry, couldn't resist!) Jan-Feb, there is an awesomely priced cruise Dec 13-23 to the Mayan coast for ~$250 per person per day in Concierge Veranda (maybe due to the proximity to holidays?). This seems like a very reasonable price for a test drive. If there is a Memorial Day sale the price might get better. My TA also had some additional OBC and will alert me if I can get a better price than I already have.

We're really looking forward to this new version of transport for us. Oceania looks like it's going to be a fantastic option for visiting new places! I hope you enjoy it, and congratulations on 30 years of marriage!
Best wishes,
Kathleen

Pretty much spot on. And those December cruises(before Christmas) are generally a really good deal. Most people are too busy getting ready for the holidays to go on cruises. We on the other hand have a small family and just tell them there will be no decorations for Christmas, or we may not be there at all. Another good time for us is over Thanksgiving. Good prices then also. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You are sort of wrong (by involving the SBC).

I understand what you are trying to do but,

the “O Life w/air” and “cruise only” prices are per person while the O Life SBC stated is per cabin.

In any case, it is much easier to do what I suggested in my earlier post:

O website

Find a Cruise

Select O Life (w/air) cabin category 

On next page, check “no air”

See a lesser fare for same O Life cabin

Difference between O Life “with” and “without” fares is the air credit! 

Oops, yes, thank you! I forgot to divide the SBC (gack!) by 2. It's a nice little rule of thumb for estimating while browsing, but should definitely be checked for accuracy. 🙂 It seemed to come close for the cruises I've looked at, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

18 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Oops, yes, thank you! I forgot to divide the SBC (gack!) by 2. It's a nice little rule of thumb for estimating while browsing, but should definitely be checked for accuracy. 🙂 It seemed to come close for the cruises I've looked at, but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Actually, you are correct that “O Life w/o air” is the “cruise only” price plus 1/2 the stated cabin SBC.

This is why the SBC as an O Life perk is a “wash.” On the other hand, the excursions (@ a base 1 tour = $100 SBC) are a better perk value since the allowable ones can be priced as high as $200 (and they qualify for your cruise’s YWYW minimum to get 25% off any added paid tours). BTW, the limited booze perk has good and bad points.

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Actually, you are correct that “O Life w/o air” is the “cruise only” price plus 1/2 the stated cabin SBC.

This is why the SBC as an O Life perk is a “wash.” On the other hand, the excursions (@ a base 1 tour = $100 SBC) are a better perk value since the allowable ones can be priced as high as $200 (and they qualify for your cruise’s YWYW minimum to get 25% off any added paid tours). BTW, the limited booze perk has good and bad points.

LOL...you don't want to know how much time I've spent evaluating my shorex spreadsheet. And that's only considering O-excursions since until recently they looked like they might be the only option in December. 🙂

Just now, AMHuntFerry said:

LOL...you don't want to know how much time I've spent evaluating my shorex spreadsheet. And that's only considering O-excursions since until recently they looked like they might be the only option in December. 🙂

Pick the most expensive allowable O Life tours, add enough others for YWYW minimum and get 25% off the paid ones. Fill the rest of your card with outside group/private tours.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Pick the most expensive allowable O Life tours, add enough others for YWYW minimum and get 25% off the paid ones. Fill the rest of your card with outside group/private tours.

That is exactly what we did on our past O cruises .

Edited by njhorseman

39 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Thanks for the advice. I've been lurking for more than a year before joining and appreciate the amazing information and advice on these forums (and that you patiently repeat it for us newbies 🙂 ). This particular itinerary (Dec. Riviera on Mayan coast) doesn't have many O-life tours over $100 that interest me (I think there was one); flying to Tikal (an OE or OS?) on the other hand...woohoo! So, that's why I've been staring at the SS since my analysis is not agreeing with general sentiment to buy the O-life shore package (I declined O-life, but kept air for the time being). The YWYW is the probably the better option for me this time, but I'll definitely run the numbers every time (I may be odd, but find it fun).

10 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Thanks for the advice. I've been lurking for more than a year before joining and appreciate the amazing information and advice on these forums (and that you patiently repeat it for us newbies 🙂 ). This particular itinerary (Dec. Riviera on Mayan coast) doesn't have many O-life tours over $100 that interest me (I think there was one); flying to Tikal (an OE or OS?) on the other hand...woohoo! So, that's why I've been staring at the SS since my analysis is not agreeing with general sentiment to buy the O-life shore package (I declined O-life, but kept air for the time being). The YWYW is the probably the better option for me this time, but I'll definitely run the numbers every time (I may be odd, but find it fun).

There is definitely something to be said for “cruise only” plus YWYW tours (all OE/OS).

17 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

You're not the only one.  The tours I am choosing on a Caribbean cruise don't cost enough to make the O-Life excursion option work (the most expensive are $169, $115, $109, $99 – which at the YWYW discount only totals $369).  Luckily there are four others that appeal (and we only need 2 of them to qualify for YWYW).  Then there is one OS tour ($209 list including lunch) which isn't a bad deal at $156.75 under YWYW – but that still isn't nearly as good a deal as the Roll Call tour I just organized at $72 (without lunch, but we can eat pretty good for $85 in Martinique!)

The easy way to do the math is to add up the four most expensive non-OE/OS tours; if they don't total $533.33 then you won't save with O-Life [assuming you are booking enough tours to get YWYW].  After that, just count each and every tour at 75% of the list price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AMHuntFerry said:

If you are keeping the air  then O Life perk may work out  as a deal but not usually on cruises out of US ports

Ask your TA what the air credit actually is    then do the math 

you may find you can get  cheaper air   that using O

Plus you can fly in a day early  without extra fees from O

I would consider  flying in  at least 1 day early  in the winter months  in case of delays enroute

JMO

11 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

If you are keeping the air  then O Life perk may work out  as a deal

Ask your TA what the air credit actually is    then do the math  to see if the O Life perk works out a a good deal  or not

JMO

Thank you. Yep we did that, and she also called O to confirm prices. At the time of booking the air credit was slightly less than a cheapo (non-refundable, etc.) ticket. I'll be interested to see what they offer. It can take all day to get from Idaho to anywhere east of Denver/Chicago, although some new direct routes have been added. Isn't it nice to be planning with a hope of actually going?!

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

You're not the only one.  The tours I am choosing on a Caribbean cruise don't cost enough to make the O-Life excursion option work (the most expensive are $169, $115, $109, $99 – which at the YWYW discount only totals $369).  Luckily there are four others that appeal (and we only need 2 of them to qualify for YWYW).  Then there is one OS tour ($209 list including lunch) which isn't a bad deal at $156.75 under YWYW – but that still isn't nearly as good a deal as the Roll Call tour I just organized at $72 (without lunch, but we can eat pretty good for $85 in Martinique!)

The easy way to do the math is to add up the four most expensive non-OE/OS tours; if they don't total $533.33 then you won't save with O-Life [assuming you are booking enough tours to get YWYW].  After that, just count each and every tour at 75% of the list price.

Now that it looks like private tours will be allowed, I just need to get over my irrational fear of being left behind...blame old movies...I think it was a Bette Davis movie where they are standing high on a hill (car died?) watching her ship leave port without her. 😉

2 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Thank you. Yep we did that, and she also called O to confirm prices. At the time of booking the air credit was slightly less than a cheapo (non-refundable, etc.) ticket. I'll be interested to see what they offer. It can take all day to get from Idaho to anywhere east of Denver/Chicago, although some new direct routes have been added. Isn't it nice to be planning with a hope of actually going?!

Another reason  to book your own & fly in  a day or so early

If you take Oceania  air you fly in the day of sailing  & leave  on disembarkation day

You will not know  the flight details until after final payment  maybe not even until 45 days out

It would stress me out to fly in the same day as the cruise  especially in the winter 😲

We often do those Dec sailings to get away from the snow & cold at least for  a short time

@ORV

We went to the Silver Trident Tasting room in Yountville CA at the Ralph Lauren Home shared location. We did our wine pairings with their Potato Chip Extravaganza, OUTSTANDING. We never thought about drinking wine with flavored potato chips but if you are ever in the area, it is worth the reservation and stop.  The tastings are about an hour in duration and cost $40pp but it gets credited back when you purchase. Because of Bob Binder’s partnership/ownership in Silver Trident, we told Beth (amazing sommelier and tour guide for our pairings) we were ardent O cruisers and she gave us an industry discount, 20% on our purchases. Needless to say we left with a lot of boxes as the wines are EXCELLENT. Some of these purchases will definitely be taken on our next cruise, whenever that is. 

🛳🍷😇👍

Gerr

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@ORV

We went to the Silver Trident Tasting room in Yountville CA at the Ralph Lauren Home shared location. We did our wine pairings with their Potato Chip Extravaganza, OUTSTANDING. We never thought about drinking wine with flavored potato chips but if you are ever in the area, it is worth the reservation and stop.  The tastings are about an hour in duration and cost $40pp but it gets credited back when you purchase. Because of Bob Binder’s partnership/ownership in Silver Trident, we told Beth (amazing sommelier and tour guide for our pairings) we were ardent O cruisers and she gave us an industry discount, 20% on our purchases. Needless to say we left with a lot of boxes as the wines are EXCELLENT. Some of these purchases will definitely be taken on our next cruise, whenever that is. 

🛳🍷😇👍

Gerr

Yes, we went to the tasting there in Yountville, but we didn't do the potato chip tasting. I agree. I don't remember who conducted our tasting, but she was great. Ours was set up thanks to a great poster here that emailed Mr Binder and set it up for us. 

@LHT28, I asked my TA about that "same day flight" statement, and she said the flights are the day before for her other O-clients. It is literally impossible to arrive at the airport before 3:30 pm from Idaho to Miami without an overnight at a stop-over airport. However, I guess you could say it's "same day" by arriving on the 1 am flight (ugh!)...still need a hotel. It's probably a moot point since we may DIY business class anyway. I just wanted to lock-in a rate and be able to discard it later if something better came along.

I can't thank you and the other frequent posters enough for all of the tips and tricks. Over the last year I have absorbed so much!

Edited by AMHuntFerry