Australian domestic cruises only for P&O this year

I wish all the cruise line would get on the same page....

Australian only trips.... ok with that.... are P&O going this alone ??

Could you imagine if a cruise ship sudden arrived at an Australian Port...  

the press would have a field day.... and powers in Canberra would start a royal commission ??

I am sure it wasn't the 1st of April.....

Cheers Don

I don't think it's a case of cruise lines not being on the same page, Don. I think the negotiations that are going on might be leaning towards letting one cruise line restart doing domestic cruises.  P&O Australia would be the obvious one as it's seen as "our" cruise line. It will be interesting to see if/when this pans out. If there are no issues with the restart of the first cruise line then others will probably be allowed in, one by one. Unfortunately I suspect Princess will be at the bottom of the list.

On a previous cruise the cruise director who was Australian said she could only work for P&O Australia because she lived in USA   She said P&O Aus did not employ Australians due to tax and other perks they would be entitled to under Australian work laws.   If this does not change they could not employ locals 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

On a previous cruise the cruise director who was Australian said she could only work for P&O Australia because she lived in USA   She said P&O Aus did not employ Australians due to tax and other perks they would be entitled to under Australian work laws.   If this does not change they could not employ locals 

Yvonne - Maybe the Govt is in a good position to introduce the requirement that a % of Australians be employed on local cruises with Aust employment conditions.  

30 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Aussies working on Australian-based ships would have to pay income tax. It used to be that Aussies working overseas did not have to pay tax to the ATO, but that was changed several years ago. They are now supposed to report their overseas-earned income to the ATO and pay tax on it. Yeah, right😁

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yvonne - Maybe the Govt is in a good position to introduce the requirement that a % of Australians be employed on local cruises with Aust employment conditions.  

I don't think there would be many Aussies interested in steward and kitchen staff jobs on a cruise ship, even if the pay was increased somewhat. To start with, they have to sign a contract to work for six to eight months. This would be quite a commitment to work away from home for that period of time when it is easy to get hospitality jobs here in Australia.

14 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't think there would be many Aussies interested in steward and kitchen staff jobs on a cruise ship

Lots of Australians work on cruise ships, just not cruise ships based in Australia. Usually in the Tour or Entertainment areas.

I was told that Australians working on Australian based ships had to be paid according to Australian awards, which the cruise lines are loath to do.

12 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Lots of Australians work on cruise ships, just not cruise ships based in Australia. Usually in the Tour or Entertainment areas.

I was told that Australians working on Australian based ships had to be paid according to Australian awards, which the cruise lines are loath to do.

I have seen a lot of Aussie entertainers working on cruise ships, but not waiters/stewards and kitchen staff.

I don't believe that Australian Awards would apply to people working on a cruise ship, particularly ones not based in Australia. The question is whether the person would want the job if the pay and conditions were inferior to what they can get elsewhere. Presumably the Aussie entertainers working on the ships are happy with their pay and conditions, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Not sure if this has already been posted?  Our intrepid "Alfie" has a new empty ship tour.  It's on the P&O Pacific Explorer (formerly the Dawn Princess).  This is Part 1.  There will be a Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttglfMg3UY0&t=501s

Sorry, you'll need to drag it back to the beginning.  My mistake 'cause I got a bit too enthusiastic. 🙄

Edited by LC1950

2 hours ago, LC1950 said:

Not sure if this has already been posted?  Our intrepid "Alfie" has a new empty ship tour.  It's on the P&O Pacific Explorer (formerly the Dawn Princess).  This is Part 1.  There will be a Part 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttglfMg3UY0&t=501s

Sorry, you'll need to drag it back to the beginning.  My mistake 'cause I got a bit too enthusiastic. 🙄

I like watching Alfie. He is now Senior Second Officer on Pacific Explorer. I hope he gets some pax on his ship soon. He said in a previous video he was going back to College to get a Masters ticket, something like that.

Perhaps he has to serve out his contract before going back to school?

As an aside ... Alfie and all you younger whipper snappers ... for gawds sake pinch your mask over the bridge of your nose ... up near your eyes!  Then it won't keep falling down ... falling down ... falling down! 

Honestly, it's so easy ... it's just mask wearing 101!  Who wants your germs?  Just sayin'.

On 5/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, Aus Traveller said:

Aussies working on Australian-based ships would have to pay income tax. It used to be that Aussies working overseas did not have to pay tax to the ATO, but that was changed several years ago. They are now supposed to report their overseas-earned income to the ATO and pay tax on it. Yeah, right😁

If you are working outside Australia for more than 90 days continuously, you do not pay tax on income earned overseas.

You are however required to report it to the ATO, and it is used in calculating the tax rate for any income earned while in Australia.

e.g. you do a 6 month contract overseas, earning $45,000, then return to Oz and work the next 6 months here. You pay tax on your Australian income starting at 32.5% with no tax free threshold.

Been there, done that working on cruise ships myself.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

If you are working outside Australia for more than 90 days continuously, you do not pay tax on income earned overseas.

You are however required to report it to the ATO, and it is used in calculating the tax rate for any income earned while in Australia.

e.g. you do a 6 month contract overseas, earning $45,000, then return to Oz and work the next 6 months here. You pay tax on your Australian income starting at 32.5% with no tax free threshold.

Been there, done that working on cruise ships myself.

Thank you for posting the precise info. This explains why Aussies are not inclined to work on cruise ships based in Australia.

On 5/19/2021 at 7:44 PM, NSWP said:

I like watching Alfie. He is now Senior Second Officer on Pacific Explorer. I hope he gets some pax on his ship soon. He said in a previous video he was going back to College to get a Masters ticket, something like that.

Did you see the olde Regal Princess Bengal Tiger is safe and sound on Pacific Explorer? To me, watching the last Alfie show, he did not seem too confident about a return to cruising nor did he seem as excited as he was in other episodes. I think the stress of not doing much and a doubtful future is getting to these ships officers and crew.

PO-Cruises-President-Sture-Myrmell-and-Senior-Vice-President-Guest-Experience-Peter-Little-onboard-Pacific-Explorer-with-the-popular-bronze-tiger.jpg.e053accac9c38ccb8de7843268f10ed0.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Yes Uncle Les, I noticed that tiger in Alfie's vlog too and wondered if it was the same one you have referred to in previous posts.  Now you know where it ended up.👍

The original one and the only one from ye olde Regal Princess I was on in 2007, her last cruise, LA to Sydney, pre Pacific Dawn. Great that Carnival kept tiger. On Regal tiger was in the aptly named 'Bengal Bar.'

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

The original one and the only one from ye olde Regal Princess I was on in 2007, her last cruise, LA to Sydney, pre Pacific Dawn. Great that Carnival kept tiger. On Regal tiger was in the aptly named 'Bengal Bar.'

Glad you spotted that Les, I was going to mention it but indeed you found it anyway.

5 minutes ago, LC1950 said:

Part 2 of Alfie's empty ship tour is now showing on a Youtube channel near you ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCkulV9HQ0w 

No tiger this time.

Thanks will have to watch it later. I hope the tiger gets saved from the breakers yard when Pacific Explorer meets her doom in the future, whenever that will be.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Thanks will have to watch it later. I hope the tiger gets saved from the breakers yard when Pacific Explorer meets her doom in the future, whenever that will be.

No way something like that goes to the breaker's yard. It is a valuable artifact and would be removed from the ship before it got to the breakers. Even if it didn't find a home on a ship someone would pay big bucks for it.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

No way something like that goes to the breaker's yard. It is a valuable artifact and would be removed from the ship before it got to the breakers. Even if it didn't find a home on a ship someone would pay big bucks for it.

I was jesting Lyle, Carnival saved it twice already, From Regal Princess and Pacific Dawn, well they are the same vessel.

• Thanks 1