10 day Panama Canal

claudia814

Just one comment..as Scottca075 said, be sure to read "Path Between the Seas" before you go..it will make the canal much more meaningful and you will understand just what it took to build this marvel.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, algriff said:

Just one comment..as Scottca075 said, be sure to read "Path Between the Seas" before you go..it will make the canal much more meaningful and you will understand just what it took to build this marvel.

And it is a great cure for insomnia, lots of info but very long and very dry.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 5/20/2021 at 6:18 PM, claudia814 said:

Thinking of February 10, 2023 10 day cruise to Panama Canal from Fort Lauderdale on Caribbean Princess for 55th anniversary. Any tips on choosing port or starboard side? Any excursions you can recommend and or any other information would be much appreciated. This cruise goes through The New Locks, what does that mean? Thanks in advance for your expertise. 

The Caribbean Princess does the new locks only. Its to big for the old locks. Only the Island and Coral can do the old locks. They were designed for the old locks.

16 minutes ago, Kamloops50 said:

The Caribbean Princess does the new locks only. Its to big for the old locks. Only the Island and Coral can do the old locks. They were designed for the old locks.

I don;t think that is correct. I am on the Island Princess on December 12 PC and it says on the web site NEW LOCKS 

Kathy

4 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I don;t think that is correct. I am on the Island Princess on December 12 PC and it says on the web site NEW LOCKS 

Kathy

The Island and Coral are the only Princess ships that, sizewise, can transit the old locks ... there is no law that relegates those two ships only to the smaller locks ... however the rest of the fleet, sizewise, only fit thru the new/larger locks ... either Princess or the PCA can indeed send smaller vessels thru the new locks ... but they have no choice for the rest of Princess ships

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

The Island and Coral are the only Princess ships that, sizewise, can transit the old locks ... there is no law that relegates those two ships only to the smaller locks ... however the rest of the fleet, sizewise, only fit thru the new/larger locks ... either Princess or the PCA can indeed send smaller vessels thru the new locks ... but they have no choice for the rest of Princess ships

Okay as always anyone that thinks they know everything is. I bow to your intelligence and not what it says on Princess website. It always amazes that those that know the most never ever sign their posts................

Kathy

1 minute ago, rabin1 said:

Okay as always anyone that thinks they know everything is. I bow to your intelligence and not what it says on Princess website. It always amazes that those that know the most never ever sign their posts................

Kathy

My intention was not to be condescending or demeaning ... just to clarify your confusion ... and, I never sign my posts ... I am far from the only member who does not sign.

Have a nice life.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

My intention was not to be condescending or demeaning ... just to clarify your confusion ... and, I never sign my posts ... I am far from the only member who does not sign.

Have a nice life.

I was not confused. No your not the only member that does not sign their posts and I always wonder what those that don;t have to hide.............enlighten me please

Kathy

23 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I was not confused. No your not the only member that does not sign their posts and I always wonder what those that don;t have to hide.............enlighten me please

Kathy

When you post your Cruise Critic ID is added automatically.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

But not your name as I said like I always say

Kathy

2 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Kathy

The cruises I am looking for on the Coral and Island for 2023 both show the old locks. 

I have cruised the old locks (Coral Princess in 2003) and the new locks (Caribbean Princess in 2017). Both were interesting, but the old locks have a lot more history. I would definitely recommend the old locks for your first cruise through the canal if you have a choice. And I also recommend reading David McCullough's The Path Between The Seas before going.

Both of my cruises were the round trip from Fort Lauderdale. I took the excursion that completed the transit to the Pacific on a small boat. That way, you get to complete the entire transit. Also, the experience of going through the locks on a small boat is much different than going through on the larger ship.

Alternatively, there is something to be said for staying on the ship for the return trip. You will find better views on the open decks because the ship will not be crowded. So many people are on excursions that you would have good access to view on both sides of the ship without having to look over other people.

One warning if you take an excursion. The ship is sometimes delayed getting through the return locks, and you may get to the dock before the ship gets back. The dock facilities weren't that great for waiting in the heat for the ship, so be prepared.

As stated by others, the Coral and Island were designed for the Panama Canal. Ships designed specifically for the historic locks are called Panamax ships. They are designed to be as large as possible and still fit through the locks. The Coral Princess and Island Princess are Panamax ships - you can touch the side of the lock while standing on the promenade deck on either side of the ship. Requirements for the historic locks are specified in Vessel Requirements dated 1 January 2005.

The old Pacific Princess and Ocean Princess (no longer with Princess) were smaller than Panamax - they could fit through the historic locks with room to spare.

New Panamax vessels are designed to fit the new locks. This includes the rest of the Princess fleet. Requirements are specified in Dimensions for Future Lock Chambers and "New Panamax" Vessels dated 19 January 2009. Note that all of the Princess ships are much smaller than the New Panamax limits. Unlike the Panamax ships in the old locks, the largest Princess ships do not fill the new locks.

As stated by others, if you are on the Coral Princess or Island Princess, you need to look at your cruise description to see which locks you will use - and it could possibly (but probably not) change. If you are on any other Princess ship, you will absolutely not be going through the old locks - the ship will not fit.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Kathy

breath in 

breath out

1) CAN Island and Coral sail the 'old locks' - YES

2) WILL Island and Coral sail the 'old locks' - MAYBE - check the website for specific cruises

3) CAN Island and Coral sail the ' new locks' - YES

4) WILL Island and Coral sail the 'new locks' - MAYBE - check the website for specific cruises

1) CAN all other Princess ships sail the 'old locks' - NO, too big

2) WILL all other Princess ships sail the 'new locks - YES , if going thru the Panama Canal locks

smell the roses

blow out the candles

move on

signed 

xxxxx

I blocked out signatures a long time ago - is that even still a thing - to list all previous and future cruises in the signature line

sorry, I don't need personal vindication from my postings on CC

• Like 3

18 hours ago, voljeep said:

breath in 

breath out

1) CAN Island and Coral sail the 'old locks' - YES

2) WILL Island and Coral sail the 'old locks' - MAYBE - check the website for specific cruises

3) CAN Island and Coral sail the ' new locks' - YES

4) WILL Island and Coral sail the 'new locks' - MAYBE - check the website for specific cruises

1) CAN all other Princess ships sail the 'old locks' - NO, too big

2) WILL all other Princess ships sail the 'new locks - YES , if going thru the Panama Canal locks

smell the roses

blow out the candles

move on

signed 

xxxxx

I blocked out signatures a long time ago - is that even still a thing - to list all previous and future cruises in the signature line

sorry, I don't need personal vindication from my postings on CC

If the Island or Coral do use the new locks, the cost of doing so is significantly higher and is passed on to the passengers.

• 1 month later...

I've booked the November 6 10-day Panama Canal partial transit cruise on the Crown Princess. This will be our first Princess cruise and our first cruise through the Panama Canal. For those experienced Panama Canal cruisers: Should we stay on board or book one of the excursions? What would you do and why?

Thanks!

Martin

Edited by mhconley

2 minutes ago, mhconley said:

I've booked the November 6 10-day Panama Canal partial transit cruise on the Crown Princess. This will be our first Princess cruise and our first cruise through the Panama Canal. For those experienced Panama Canal cruisers: Should we stay on board or book one of the excursions? What would you do and why?

Thanks!

Martin

Excursion and I would also go the roll call for this cruise.................have fun

12 minutes ago, mhconley said:

Thanks!

Martin

Once the Crown clears the Agua Clara locks it anchors in Gatun Lake. Passengers that booked ship's tours are tendered to shore. After their tour the bus drops them off at the Cristobol port where they re-board the ship. Since you have never been to the P.C. I would recommend taking a ship's tour of your choice. Passengers that do not book ship's tours are not permitted off the ship. Once the ship receives clearance from the authorities it passes back out of the Agua Clara locks and docks at Cristobol to pick up tour passengers. Pre-covid those that remained on board were able to exit the ship and look around the large tent area where there were some local vendors and entertainment. Those that stay on board have a very quiet ship as well as a very hot one in the sun. It's all about shade. We have done both, tours and stayed on board. 

27 minutes ago, mhconley said:

Thanks!

Martin

Since this is your first time through the Panama Canal, I recommend Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat (NC2-615). This tour takes you through the old locks to the Pacific Ocean, so you will have done a full transit (even though the ship has only done a partial transit).

Also, the small boat will go to the Pacific through the historic old locks. These are the original locks that have a lot of history behind them - much more than the new locks. By taking this excursion, you will get the full Canal experience - all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific and both the new locks and the old ones.

For information about building the old locks, I definitely recommend you read The Path Between The Seas by David McCullough. It is the definitive book about the Panama Canal.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

Since this is your first time through the Panama Canal, I recommend Panama Canal & Locks Transit By Boat (NC2-615). This tour takes you through the old locks to the Pacific Ocean, so you will have done a full transit (even though the ship has only done a partial transit).

Also, the small boat will go to the Pacific through the historic old locks. These are the original locks that have a lot of history behind them - much more than the new locks. By taking this excursion, you will get the full Canal experience - all the way from the Atlantic to the Pacific and both the new locks and the old ones.

For information about building the old locks, I definitely recommend you read The Path Between The Seas by David McCullough. It is the definitive book about the Panama Canal.

We took this excursion in 2018 on the 10-day Partial Transit of the Caribbean Princess.  It was a long day, but so worth it.  Although we'd experienced a full transit several years before on the Coral, it was interesting to pass through the old locks on a much small excursion vessel, and we were able to touch the sides of the canal.  

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

a) This is one of the two best tours you can take there.

b) Other best tour is to an Indian village

c) Definitely read this (long) book before the cruise. It covers more than the lock construction as it also describes the entire effort to cut the path through the mountains.

If you do not take one of the tours, you will basically just be on the ship on the lake for hours with some normal sea day activities. You will then pass through the same locks you were through getting up to the lake. Then the ship will dock at a relatively very uninteresting port to await the return of passengers who did take tours.