Celebrity tours requirements

Thechamp555

21 hours ago, Thechamp555 said:

Hello,

Does Celebrity still requires to have all the shore excursions done by them or we can go on our own ? Thank you !

We cancelled our 2021 Baltic cruise on the Reflection - far too much uncertainty at this point. We have rebooked for August 2022 (Apex) but will cancel if ship tours are mandated. We are hopeful that there will be more clarity next year.

According to Celebrity, in a zoom conference with TAs earlier this week, NO, THEY ARE NOT REQUIRING ANYONE TO ONLY DO CELEBRITY SHOREXES.

The thing about local requirements relates to the wearing of masks.  Celebrity will require everyone over the age of 16 to be fully vaccinated--and those passengers need not wear masks onboard...but, when in port, mask wearing will be subject to local regulations.  Those under 16 may sail, but only with a current negative test...and they must wear masks on board while walking between venues...but can remove the mask at meals.

They were pretty clear about it...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

We cancelled our 2021 Baltic cruise on the Reflection - far too much uncertainty at this point. We have rebooked for August 2022 (Apex) but will cancel if ship tours are mandated. We are hopeful that there will be more clarity next year.

Do be aware that you will need a Russian visa in St Petersburg if you wish to ‘do your own thing’.

We used SPB tours and they arrange the visa, as they are government recommended. There are other tour companies, Alla springs to mind who do similar.

Use the ports boards for recommendations.

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Do be aware that you will need a Russian visa in St Petersburg if you wish to ‘do your own thing’.

We used SPB tours and they arrange the visa, as they are government recommended. There are other tour companies, Alla springs to mind who do similar.

Use the ports boards for recommendations.

Correct - visas are required for most nationals (including USA, Canada, Australia, UK) - I should have been more precise. One must possess a valid Russian visa if they wish to DIY in Russia.

I have visited Russia multiple times - first visit was via cruise ship 13 years ago and we booked our tours through Alla Tours. I do have a Russian visa.

St. Petersburg is the only Baltic port that requires a visa (provided you are a national of one of the English speaking countries that I mentioned above). Some nationals require a Schengen Visa for other Baltic ports of call (Indian nationals for example).

To clarify:

No independent operator is government recommended (in fact, the owner of SPB was an employee of Alla Tours prior to starting her own company). Likewise, no independent operator can arrange a visa for you (only you can procure a Russian visa by application through the Russian Consulate in your country of residence). The Russian Federation offers visa free touring to cruise ship passengers provided you meet the following requirements.

Arrive via cruise ship with a stay of less than 72 hours in port, possess a valid passport with 6+ months from date of entry, book a tour through the cruise ship or a tour company licensed by the Russian Federation to provide visa free tours (this includes Alla, TJ, Spb, Best Guides and many others - they all possess the requisite license to provide visa free shore excursions in Russia & I suggest that those interested in independent shore excursions check feedback/reviews on TripAdvisor), remain in the company of your authorized guide while off the ship, spend your nights aboard the ship.

Here is how the visa free scheme works (often called a visa waiver or blanket visa):

After providing your passport information, the tour company (or cruise line) with whom you book will provide you with a tour ticket. This tour ticket (along with your valid passport - NOT a copy of your passport) allows you to clear immigration in the port of St. Pete. You must remain with your group at while off the ship - you cannot wander about on your own (only a visa will allow such freedom).

Easy peasy.

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

II would also add that IMHO, procuring an expensive Russian visa is most probably not the best time/cost efficient choice for first time visitors via cruise ship. This is a port wherein a tour makes the most sense (unless you are familiar with the city).

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2021 at 2:01 AM, Bruin Steve said:

According to Celebrity, in a zoom conference with TAs earlier this week, NO, THEY ARE NOT REQUIRING ANYONE TO ONLY DO CELEBRITY SHOREXES.

The thing about local requirements relates to the wearing of masks.  Celebrity will require everyone over the age of 16 to be fully vaccinated--and those passengers need not wear masks onboard...but, when in port, mask wearing will be subject to local regulations.  Those under 16 may sail, but only with a current negative test...and they must wear masks on board while walking between venues...but can remove the mask at meals.

They were pretty clear about it...

For the U.K. sailings, X are currently saying only Celebrity Shorexes PLUS a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding. No other U.K. sailings are stipulating a PCR test for vaccinated cruisers.

1 hour ago, downsmead said:

For the U.K. sailings, X are currently saying only Celebrity Shorexes PLUS a PCR test 72 hours prior to boarding. No other U.K. sailings are stipulating a PCR test for vaccinated cruisers.

Below is a copy of what was sent to me with my booking confirmation. If you go on to the Healthy at Sea section it also states that over 18's need proof of 2 vaccines and those over 2 will have to take an antigen test at the port prior to boarding. So far no mention of negative test 72 hours prior to boarding.

image.png.45a6a3db014c0d2f128855dc6c0f6767.png

On 5/22/2021 at 7:01 PM, Bruin Steve said:

We have cancelled our August Baltic cruise on the Reflection because of the uncertainty regarding Russia. Will ship excursions be mandated (a deal breaker for us)? Will the ship actually dock in Saint Petersburg (not interested in a Baltic cruise that does not port in Saint Petersburg)? 

Just checked the X website and found the following:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

x.jpg

19 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

We have cancelled our August Baltic cruise on the Reflection because of the uncertainty regarding Russia. Will ship excursions be mandated (a deal breaker for us)? Will the ship actually dock in Saint Petersburg (not interested in a Baltic cruise that does not port in Saint Petersburg)? 

Just checked the X website and found the following:

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

x.jpg

The IT department is REALLY SLOW in updating the website...That section you did the screen shot of is the same as it was when first posted months ago.  And policies change constantly.  I am not sure about the Baltic cruises...I've been concentrating on my Med cruises...BUT, at least for the "new" Apex cruises, they have announced that Celebrity Shore Excursions will NOT be required.  I would not rely n the website...I would call Celebrity directly...and I would also try to ask for someone further up the line as the representatives you first get on the 800 number are often misinformed as well. 

2 hours ago, ShonaTay56 said:

Below is a copy of what was sent to me with my booking confirmation. If you go on to the Healthy at Sea section it also states that over 18's need proof of 2 vaccines and those over 2 will have to take an antigen test at the port prior to boarding. So far no mention of negative test 72 hours prior to boarding.

image.png.45a6a3db014c0d2f128855dc6c0f6767.png

This is on the U.K. site now, different parts of the website show different requirements 🤷‍♀️

3CBA4E07-FD62-47B1-B2D3-C2A3D5AD1382.png

1C51657B-F97D-43EB-A2FE-4CB90D969D3F.png

Edited by downsmead
The other image is from the other thread on cc

These changes are really annoying and will require more pre-planning in the days before travel. The final sentence on that item from 24th May states - "all crew members on board will be vaccinated". So, if Celebrity feels that is fine for the crew, surely it should also be fine for the passengers. Or will they be PCR testing the crew 3 days before each sailing too??!!