Capacity for Alaska ships

atexsix

I know there are a lot of unknowns but Port of Seattle Commission President was quoted in the news story linked below that they spoke with someone directly at HAL and told they will be at 50-75% capacity for the Alaska sailings.  He also said combined between all the lines, there will be 80 ship calls out of the normal 220.

I will be curious to see how the capacity translates into a viable cruise.  More pleasant because of shorter lines?  Or less if you are part of the more the merrier crowd.  

Source: https://komonews.com/news/local/cruise-season-to-return-retail-and-restaurants-count-on-visitors-for-economic-recovery

• Like 3

When I booked for July sailing the TA confirmed not full capacity.  Looking forward to being on a ship again and cruising with fully vaccinated folks.  It's going to be a great cruise. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Hygge! said:

When I booked for July sailing the TA confirmed not full capacity.  Looking forward to being on a ship again and cruising with fully vaccinated folks.  It's going to be a great cruise. 

We're on the very last cruise, so we're going to be watching all the reports, reviews, and Live's.  

I did a one night repo years ago on the Zaandam, there were only a couple hundred people on board and at least one cabin deck was completely shut down for deep cleaning.  Everywhere I went the place was deserted, the Piano Bar had maybe 5 people.  Too few people for my taste and I didn't like it at all, and this coming from someone who hates crowds, it felt like a ghost ship, it wasn't eerie or creepy, just different.  

16 minutes ago, atexsix said:

We're on the very last cruise, so we're going to be watching all the reports, reviews, and Live's.  

I did a one night repo years ago on the Zaandam, there were only a couple hundred people on board and at least one cabin deck was completely shut down for deep cleaning.  Everywhere I went the place was deserted, the Piano Bar had maybe 5 people.  Too few people for my taste and I didn't like it at all, and this coming from someone who hates crowds, it felt like a ghost ship, it wasn't eerie or creepy, just different.  

We did a "last of season" Alaska cruise some years ago and it stands out as one of our favorites.  All the locals were abuzz talking about where they were wintering or whether they were going to "ride it out."   The seasonal workers were energetic because they would soon be saying their good-byes to new friends.  

It was just a good vibe cruise all around.   And we experienced no weather problems.  Just needed bug spray.  👍   😊

• Like 1

Did a 4 day repo from San Diego to Seattle on Westerdam a number of years ago. The cruise had started in FLL, through the Canal and stopped at San Diego. 1400 of the nearly 2000 pax got off. 600 people on board...it was scary quiet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

All the locals were abuzz talking about where they were wintering or whether they were going to "ride it out."   The seasonal workers were energetic because they would soon be saying their good-byes to new friends.  

It was just a good vibe cruise all around.   And we experienced no weather problems.

Sounds like the exact description I could give of my first Med cruise many years ago. I went at the end of November, back when there were no or only 1-2 local ships that continued to cruise in the winter. We were on one of (if not "the") last port calls for the season in places like Ephesus and Mykonos.  Incredible deals to be had as merchants flung doors open to get rid of inventory. We also experienced incredible, sunny weather and crowds were nonexistent-- I have photos from the stop of the long downhill street at the entrance all the way to the restored Library and it is practically empty of people. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sounds like the exact description I could give of my first Med cruise many years ago. I went at the end of November, back when there were no or only 1-2 local ships that continued to cruise in the winter. We were on one of (if not "the") last port calls for the season in places like Ephesus and Mykonos.  Incredible deals to be had as merchants flung doors open to get rid of inventory. We also experienced incredible, sunny weather and crowds were nonexistent-- I have photos from the stop of the long downhill street at the entrance all the way to the restored Library and it is practically empty of people. 

Sounds perfect!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Was this a negative as to your enjoyment of the cruise for you?  

Have to say it was...plus the weather was dreary...and we experienced hurricane force winds...75-80mph winds. But the ship was SO quiet...so few people, only one show in 4 nights, no other entertainment. It was just eerie. Not that I want to be on a crowded noisy ship, but after the first 15 days with a full ship, the Canal (our second time through), shows and entertainment every night...it just seemed so odd.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Have to say it was...plus the weather was dreary...and we experienced hurricane force winds...75-80mph winds. But the ship was SO quiet...so few people, only one show in 4 nights, no other entertainment. It was just eerie. Not that I want to be on a crowded noisy ship, but after the first 15 days with a full ship, the Canal (our second time through), shows and entertainment every night...it just seemed so odd.

That is a odd feeling indeed  certainly not a cruise we would enjoy .Like lots of people to chat with & play Trivia fames . Also the shows are very important to us  

Since the Alaska cruises were R/T Seattle which would make it easy for us, I thought I'd check out prices. I was surprised at the limited number of cabins that were available-although it wasn't obvious if they were booked or blocked by the cruise line. 

I was on a repo from New Orleans to San Francisco. It was originally supposed to end in Los Angeles but later they changed it to San Francisco after it was just about fully booked. Many people were from the Los Angeles area and got off in San Diego which was our last stop before San Francisco. The next day was a sea day and the ship felt deserted, very weird.

When we got to San Francisco we just walked off the ship, picked up our luggage and headed out. No customs or anything. Strange.

45 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

I was on a repo from New Orleans to San Francisco. It was originally supposed to end in Los Angeles but later they changed it to San Francisco after it was just about fully booked. Many people were from the Los Angeles area and got off in San Diego which was our last stop before San Francisco. The next day was a sea day and the ship felt deserted, very weird.

When we got to San Francisco we just walked off the ship, picked up our luggage and headed out. No customs or anything. Strange.

That is because Immigration and Customs was cleared at San Diego, even if it fit like you didn't do anything. You didn't have a foreign port after San Diego. 

HAL CEO Gus Antorcha addressed this during an FB Live discussion today: the first Alaska sailing (July 24) will be at 50% and occupancy will “ramp up” from there. No word how quickly or to what level for future sailings.

• Like 1