Covid-19 positive cases onboard Odyssey of the Seas

18 minutes ago, coldflame said:

The CSO very clearly states that any positive on board means immediate termination of the cruise and quarantine on land.

I cannot locate what shall be the threshold of voyage termination for revenue cruises in general.  However, the issue is noted in the guidelines for simulated and restricted cruises.

CDC advises cruise ship operators that it may require them to immediately end a simulated voyage and take other actions to protect the health and safety of volunteer passengers and crew if a threshold of COVID-19 cases is met or exceeded during the simulation. During simulated voyages, this threshold is met when 1.5% of COVID-19 cases is detected in passengers or 1.0% of COVID-19 cases is detected in crew. 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

Edited by logan25

21 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Sort of besides the point rant? The CSO very clearly states that any positive on board means immediate termination of the cruise and quarantine on land. Whether the threat is that of ebola or not is irrelevant. If the CDC cannot be coerced into removing or relaxing that particular clause from CSO, non-vaxxed trips are non-starters. 

And where are they suppose to terminate the cruise?  They don't have any paying customers on board right now.  They are in transit to the US to start the vacination process for all the crew members.

Edited by mauraoel

5 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

And where are they suppose to terminate of the cruise?  They don't have any paying customers on board right now.  They are in transit to the US to start the vacination process for all the crew members.

Odyssey is not running a simulated cruise, nor with revenue passengers and in Europe.  I am speaking of some future cruise.

I was responding to coldflame’s claim that any confirmed Covid passenger would be the catalyst for premature termination of the hypothetical cruise for all passengers.

Edited by logan25

1 minute ago, logan25 said:

Odyssey is not running a simulated cruise, nor with revenue passengers and in Europe.  I am speaking of some future cruise.

I know and I would like to know what that threshold is as well.  I understand that having some of these crew members infected isn't a good thing but they haven't gotten the vaccine yet so I can't see how this is a catastrophe for the cruise industry.

Please, there is no agreed-upon science, never mind any that is set in stone, on this virus.  There've been more flip-flops by the "experts" than at South Beach on nice weekend.  They've embarrassed themselves terribly and have lost tremendous respect which will impact future compliance.  

Seriously, never ever got a good answer sourced to the experts on ~

~ why did people on one side of a street in one state, shopping and eating at restaurants, not get added implications from the virus than those on the other side of the street in a different state that were totally locked down?  In fact, better (less) implications?

~ why can athletes (high school, college, professional) play competitively on the court, field or ice without masks (breathing, drooling, coughing) but must wear a mask when returning to the bench, dugout or sideline?

~ why did many states that did not lock down, that focused on those at risk of death or severe illness, fair so much comparatively better than those that did?

~ why is there a Covid 19 risk if a 7th person is added to your dinner table?

~ why is there a Covid 19 risk dinning at or after 9:30PM but not before?

~ why is there a Covid 19 risk to fly, to travel to another state, to have you hair done, to dine out with friends or during holidays, for everyone "except those that are restricting the same such?"

~ why is there a Covid 19 risk for our Congressional representatives when in Chambers and on-camera but not before or after such (when such are disposed of)?

~ and the best, or worst, as to why we don't trust the "experts' science," why is there no risk to rally, protest for one cause, but the reason other causes can't parade or even hold worship services?

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

I know and I would like to know what that threshold is as well.  I understand that having some of these crew members infected isn't a good thing but they haven't gotten the vaccine yet so I can't see how this is a catastrophe for the cruise industry.

I believe we are in agreement.  I’ve not seen anything official for cruises other than simulated and restricted.  Will the 1% crew or 1.5% passenger threshold be the metric going forward?  I, like you, do wonder.

In the current scenario, 5 out of 1,400 crew does not reach the CDC threshold, even if it were applicable.

Edited by logan25

4 hours ago, boatseller said:

The point is the ridiculousness of still treating covid like it's ebola.  The risks, or non-risks, are well known.  Time for everyone to be responsible for themselves.  Those crew are probably at greater risk of getting staph or something else from the quarantine facility than any covid outcome.

"Time for everyone to be responsible for themselves."

Yeah, because "every man for himself" has worked out so bloody well thus far.  COVID-19 has killed nearly 600,000 Americans so far (real number is probably closer to 900,000). How many Americans died during the Ebola outbreak in the U.S.?

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Pt Canaveral has been administrating the J&J vaccination to crew as far as I know

Awesome.  Even less reason to keep up the testing nonsense.  I mean, since the vax works and all.

So worst case is the positive on arrival crew will have to isolate for an extra two weeks.  (Yes, I know this is purely a techincal requirement...based on the data.)

1 hour ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

We're responsible for ourselves and our money, and we don't plan to waste it on an unvaccinated cruise. 

100% agree.  And I've always said everyone should make their own choice.  Of course, this means you have a very short window to cruise because the vax requirement will not last long.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe the vax doesn't work?

1 hour ago, coldflame said:

Sort of besides the point rant? The CSO very clearly states that any positive on board means immediate termination of the cruise and quarantine on land. Whether the threat is that of ebola or not is irrelevant. If the CDC cannot be coerced into removing or relaxing that particular clause from CSO, non-vaxxed trips are non-starters. 

Even more evidence CDC is a bunch of socially ignorant nitwits.  That rule alone will prevent nearly everyone from reporting anything short of a multi-limb dismemberment.  It's just a flesh wound. :)

There is also no data to support that requirement.  They're just afraid someone will write a mean article about them.

33 minutes ago, koolZip said:

Yeah, because "every man for himself" has worked out so bloody well thus far.  COVID-19 has killed nearly 600,000 Americans so far (real number is probably closer to 900,000). How many Americans died during the Ebola outbreak in the U.S.?

Oh my, you must not be aware of the vaccine that everyone can choose to get if they want to.  It is highly effective in case you didn't know.

I know it's hard to keep up with all of this but I hope you can look into that option now.

Also, a significant majority (I saw 80% somewhere but can't find it right now) of covid losses were due to a...wait for it...preventable condition such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, immuno-compromised.  Maybe you should lecture people with similar conditions to take care of themselves first.

And by the way, Ebola has a morbidity of >60% while covid is 1%...rounded up, maybe.  Like totally the same thing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, logan25 said:

I cannot locate what shall be the threshold of voyage termination for revenue cruises in general.  However, the issue is noted in the guidelines for simulated and restricted cruises.

CDC advises cruise ship operators that it may require them to immediately end a simulated voyage and take other actions to protect the health and safety of volunteer passengers and crew if a threshold of COVID-19 cases is met or exceeded during the simulation. During simulated voyages, this threshold is met when 1.5% of COVID-19 cases is detected in passengers or 1.0% of COVID-19 cases is detected in crew. 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

I think the rules to get started are slightly different than the one's for revenue cruises, which is why they are being extra cautious now before the Odyssey begins test cruises.

To get the initial approval from the CDC to sail your ship needs to be Green status. Here is the criteria for Green:

• No confirmed cases of COVID-19 or COVID-19-like illness for 14 days, as determined by a qualified medical professional.
  • If the ship received ship-to-ship transfers within the past 14 days, crew must have come from a ship that was not Red.
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were immediately quarantined (unless fully vaccinated or recovered in past 90 days) upon embarking the ship.

34 minutes ago, boatseller said:

So, you also know very litte (or just false information) about the virus and vax protocols?  Ok, good to know.

If you have any data to refute my, please, I'm ready to read it.

Oh no, no need for me bother, I think you have made up your mind. No tests = no virus right?  sounds familiar 🧐

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, koolZip said:

FYI that 900,000 figure actually includes people who committed suicide, overdosed on drugs, died of and illness that they did not get treatment for because of lock downs... All the other deaths are considered Covid related...but not caused by Covid... you could even make the case that these additional deaths were essentially caused by lock downs... but instead they were lumped in with deaths more directly related to the virus itself.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kearney said:

FYI that 900,000 figure actually includes people who committed suicide, overdosed on drugs, died of and illness that they did not get treatment for because of lock downs... All the other deaths are considered Covid related...but not caused by Covid... you could even make the case that these additional deaths were essentially caused by lock downs... but instead they were lumped in with deaths more directly related to the virus itself.

Do you have a source for any of that or are just pulling out...of thin air?

• Like 1

On another thread someone mentioned the Yankees that tested positive for covid after being vaccinated. I found this interesting article which addressed this issue... it is a very interesting read https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/what-really-happened-with-that-weird-yankees-covid-outbreak.html Now this is above my level of knowledge..but it suggests that a positive PCR test is not the be all and end all... disease is essentially dose related and these tests pickup very small amounts.. not necessarily that meaningful.... anyway I pass this along because it is interesting... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Oh my, you must not be aware of the vaccine that everyone can choose to get if they want to.  It is highly effective in case you didn't know.

I know it's hard to keep up with all of this but I hope you can look into that option now.

Also, a significant majority (I saw 80% somewhere but can't find it right now) of covid losses were due to a...wait for it...preventable condition such as diabetes, hypertension, obesity, immuno-compromised.  Maybe you should lecture people with similar conditions to take care of themselves first.

And by the way, Ebola has a morbidity of >60% while covid is 1%...rounded up, maybe.  Like totally the same thing.

And for all that, you evaded the question. How many people in the U.S. died of Ebola?

Condescending snark is no substitute for facts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, koolZip said:

Do you have a source for any of that or are just pulling out...of thin air?

He is talking about a study that came out of the U of Washington ...which has been widely quoted as saying that deaths due to Covid have been under reported. I looked at it... and it is more accurate to say that deaths due to the environment due to Covid have been under reported....not the virus itself

3 minutes ago, kearney said:

He is talking about a study that came out of the U of Washington ...which has been widely quoted as saying that deaths due to Covid have been under reported. I looked at it... and it is more accurate to say that deaths due to the environment due to Covid have been under reported....not the virus itself

"The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.

The final count only estimates deaths "caused directly by the SARS-CoV-2 virus," according to the study's authors. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19."

You can parse the numbers however you like, hundreds of thousands have died and attempts to downplay the impact of the virus are ludicrous and dishonest.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

This thread is doomed

I can hardly wait for the day when all these Covid threads are deleted. They have been nothing but bashing back and forth, argumentative, and downright silly. I have tried to avoid them for the most part, but when I read 1 or 2 actual knowledgeable posts from those in the medical field, they then fall into chaos, and I’m out. 
Here’s to better days and back to cruising 🍸

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

Oh no, no need for me bother, I think you have made up your mind. No tests = no virus right?  sounds familiar 🧐

Hahaha!  Ok, show me the quote.  Go ahead,  I'll wait.  

Did you even read what I wrote? I am guessing not because this response is completely non sequitur.

This sanctimonious attitude with no data to back it up is why we are not cruising right now.