Covid-19 positive cases onboard Odyssey of the Seas

3 minutes ago, boatseller said:

5 asymptomatic cases....stop testing until they arrive in the US and begin the vax regime.  

The larger point here is: this is why non-vaxxed (or proof of anti-bodies) cruises are a no-go. The whole cruise will be back on port the next morning and everyone in quarantine. 

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, coldflame said:

The larger point here is: this is why non-vaxxed (or proof of anti-bodies) cruises are a no-go. The whole cruise will be back on port the next morning and everyone in quarantine. 

The point is the ridiculousness of still treating covid like it's ebola.  The risks, or non-risks, are well known.  Time for everyone to be responsible for themselves.  Those crew are probably at greater risk of getting staph or something else from the quarantine facility than any covid outcome.

• Like 23
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

5 asymptomatic cases....stop testing until they arrive in the US and begin the vax regime.  

What other safety measures should they abandon to speed the return to the US? Maybe turn off radar so they don’t have to worry about pesky traffic in their path 🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

What other safety measures should they abandon to speed the return to the US? Maybe turn off radar so they don’t have to worry about pesky traffic in their path 🤔

Ok, so, you don't know much about covid and less about the vax protocols.

Basically, testing between the decision to sail to the US and arriving is pointless.  Once they arrive, then they test the crew.  Those who test negative get the vax immediately, those that test positive wait two weeks.

Worst case, positive on arrival crew can get the J&J vax so all crew finish the regiment at roughly the same time.*

But OMG!  It might spread!  And?  Irrelevant because the vax procedure will take 4-6 weeks regardless.  Plenty of time for recovery.  Yes, I am presuming Royal was responsible enough to sign on only healthy crew, meaning those free of the very well know complicating conditions.

*I'm not saying the J&J vax is a bad choice, merely that supplies of the other candidates seem to be greater and they would have to work out a reliable source.

Edited by boatseller
not make J&J look bad
  • Like 2

Well...I'm sorry to hear this.  I was looking forward to Royal starting back up again.  I was also interested in their ability to sail without having 100% COVID vaccinated crew and/or passengers on board.  Sounds like they got their answer, just not the one they were hoping for.

I was hoping for better results, too.

Hope all that were affect are well sooner rather than later.

39 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Basically, testing between the decision to sail to the US and arriving is pointless.  Once they arrive, then they test the crew.  Those who test negative get the vax immediately, those that test positive wait two weeks.

Worst case, positive on arrival crew can get the J&J vax so all crew finish the regiment at roughly the same time.*

But OMG!  It might spread!  And?  Irrelevant because the vax procedure will take 4-6 weeks regardless.  Plenty of time for recovery.  Yes, I am presuming Royal was responsible enough to sign on only healthy crew, meaning those free of the very well know complicating conditions.

*I'm not saying the J&J vax is a bad choice, merely that supplies of the other candidates seem to be greater and they would have to work out a reliable source.

Your original comment was ‘stop testing until they arrive in the US and begin the vax regime.’ . 

So you advocate letting Covid run through the ship unchecked. I never fail to be amazed at how we can be well over 12 months into this and we still have have people who don’t take this seriously. 

I’m done here. Enjoy your next cruise. 

• Like 18

Just now, Billy Baltic said:

Your original comment was ‘stop testing until they arrive in the US and begin the vax regime.’ . 

So you advocate letting Covid run through the ship unchecked. I never fail to be amazed at how we can be well over 12 months into this and we still have have people who don’t take this seriously. 

I’m done here. Enjoy your next cruise. 

Um...yes, that's exactly what I said.  And again, you don't seem to know much about this virus, even after 1.5 years.

Yes, do quit while I'm way ahead because I know you have no data to refute me.  You are aware of the widely reported and verified innaccuracy of the PCR test, aren't you?  >20%.  Between that and the ~6 day incubation for a reliable positive result, if 5 crew tested positive, there is near certainty that there's still covid on the ship.  You did know all of this, right????  Anyone who takes this seriously should be familiar with all the relevant data I'm sure.

And I will be enjoying my next cruise very much in, wow, less than 20 days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, boatseller said:

And I will be enjoying my next cruise very much in, wow, less than 20 days.

What country? if US, Good Luck with that? Wish you well.

Edited by Jimbo

3 hours ago, mavo68 said:

I wonder if they were vaccinated or not. I am assuming yes. Asymptomatic so far it looks like.

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I wouldn’t assume that, one of the big reasons Odyssey left Haifa was because they could not get the crew vaccinated. 

The news articles quote RC as indicating that "most crew members currently on board Odyssey of the Seas have not been vaccinated yet."

So, with "1,400 crew members" from various countries and likely unvaccinated having the 5 positive tests, that also are indicated to be asymptomatic, and all crew were tested prior to boarding, it looks reasonable.

If those that are vaccinated believe in the vaccines, you (we) are generally fine.

If those that believe they have natural immunity via prior infection, you believe you are fine and you're also on board with mostly vaccinated passengers and generally represented 100% vaccinated crew.

Then again, it is a cruise ship.  Oh my.  Panic.  Fear.  Q the MSM.  How dare they indulge in cruises and risk the rest of us.  

Meanwhile 1, the PGA gold tournament over the weekend boasted massive, closely bodied fans, mostly mask free, no distancing, loud cheers (OK, I guess cheering is not "singing").  Same for quite a number of MLB stadiums, and growing capacities at the NHL & NBA playoffs.  Mask free outdoor and indoor lifestyles returning abundantly.

Without the double-standards against the cruise lines there would be no standards at all.  🤨

• Like 5

2 hours ago, boatseller said:

Pt Canaveral has been administrating the J&J vaccination to crew as far as I know

13 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The news articles quote RC as indicating that "most crew members currently on board Odyssey of the Seas have not been vaccinated yet."

So, with "1,400 crew members" from various countries and likely unvaccinated having the 5 positive tests, that also are indicated to be asymptomatic, and all crew were tested prior to boarding, it looks reasonable.

If those that are vaccinated believe in the vaccines, you (we) are generally fine.

If those that believe they have natural immunity via prior infection, you believe you are fine and you're also on board with mostly vaccinated passengers and generally represented 100% vaccinated crew.

Then again, it is a cruise ship.  Oh my.  Panic.  Fear.  Q the MSM.  How dare they indulge in cruises and risk the rest of us.  

Meanwhile 1, the PGA gold tournament over the weekend boasted massive, closely bodied fans, mostly mask free, no distancing, loud cheers (OK, I guess cheering is not "singing").  Same for quite a number of MLB stadiums, and growing capacities at the NHL & NBA playoffs.  Mask free outdoor and indoor lifestyles returning abundantly.

Without the double-standards against the cruise lines there would be no standards at all.  🤨

Will be hard to see how that PGA crowd makes out , but with everyone leaving and scattering all over the country doubt we will hear anything............on a cruiseship is different though when you are around the same people 7 days straight, tracking is easy.

That's where the standards change......

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coldflame said:

4 hours ago, boatseller said:

The point is the ridiculousness of still treating covid like it's ebola.  The risks, or non-risks, are well known.  Time for everyone to be responsible for themselves. 

We're responsible for ourselves and our money, and we don't plan to waste it on an unvaccinated cruise. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Will be hard to see how that PGA crowd makes out , but with everyone leaving and scattering all over the country doubt we will hear anything............on a cruiseship is different though when you are around the same people 7 days straight, tracking is easy.

That's where the standards change......

No, that's not the science we've been told. 

It's been about exposure to other people, whether droplets, aerosol, hand and surface contacts, etc.  

For example, just take the "close contact for 15 minutes" CDC warning.

cc.thumb.JPG.503bc95fc9a46e170a4bc3c148dbd3bb.JPG

cc2.thumb.JPG.1768307434ff28758e4d7b6aa53c525a.JPG

PGA tournament?  Yep.

MLB game?  Yep.

NBA playoff game?  Yep.

NHL playoff game?  Yep.

So, the "same people" on a cruise ship has really nothing to do with the current risk guidance.

Also, after the PGA tournament, "scattering all over the country" is not more of a risk than those on a cruise ship that are in a controlled environment?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boatseller said:

The point is the ridiculousness of still treating covid like it's ebola.  The risks, or non-risks, are well known.  Time for everyone to be responsible for themselves.  Those crew are probably at greater risk of getting staph or something else from the quarantine facility than any covid outcome.

Sort of besides the point rant? The CSO very clearly states that any positive on board means immediate termination of the cruise and quarantine on land. Whether the threat is that of ebola or not is irrelevant. If the CDC cannot be coerced into removing or relaxing that particular clause from CSO, non-vaxxed trips are non-starters. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

No, that's not the science we've been told. 

It's been about exposure to other people, whether droplets, aerosol, hand and surface contacts, etc.  

For example, just take the "close contact for 15 minutes" CDC warning.

cc.thumb.JPG.503bc95fc9a46e170a4bc3c148dbd3bb.JPG

cc2.thumb.JPG.1768307434ff28758e4d7b6aa53c525a.JPG

PGA tournament?  Yep.

MLB game?  Yep.

NBA playoff game?  Yep.

NHL playoff game?  Yep.

So, the "same people" on a cruise ship has really nothing to do with the current risk guidance.

Also, after the PGA tournament, "scattering all over the country" is not more of a risk than those on a cruise ship that are in a controlled environment?

You really think the science on this is set in stone on this virus?  Wishful thinking?