Covid-19 positive cases onboard Odyssey of the Seas

1 hour ago, boatseller said:

100% agree.  And I've always said everyone should make their own choice.  Of course, this means you have a very short window to cruise because the vax requirement will not last long.

I trust the cruise lines on this.  They have enormous motivation to crunch the data and decide when vaccine requirements are no longer needed to protect their interests.

Until they all agree, IMHO some part of the market will offer vaxxed cruises, although perhaps not from Florida. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, koolZip said:

And for all that, you evaded the question. How many people in the U.S. died of Ebola?

Condescending snark is no substitute for facts.

OMG. Seriously? Your lecturing on facts.  That's rich.  

Send you probably didn't bother to look it up, the number is 2, out of 11 cases.

But that is irrelevant because I was comparing the response to ebola versus the response to covid.

I have to point out that you just blew a huge opportunity to maybe show me up with just a teeny bit of research.   Based on those numbers, the death rate of a bullet in the US is only 20%.  Far from the 60% I noted earlier.

If you want to try to make that point, please go ahead. But, I am ready for it.

1 hour ago, koolZip said:

"The analysis comes from researchers at the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, who looked at excess mortality from March 2020 through May 3, 2021, compared it with what would be expected in a typical nonpandemic year, then adjusted those figures to account for a handful of other pandemic-related factors.

The final count only estimates deaths "caused directly by the SARS-CoV-2 virus," according to the study's authors. SARS-CoV-2 is the virus that causes COVID-19."

You can parse the numbers however you like, hundreds of thousands have died and attempts to downplay the impact of the virus are ludicrous and dishonest.

FYI... here is another quote from the study :"However, the excess death rate does not equal the total COVID-19 death rate. Excess mortality is influenced by six drivers of all-cause mortality that relate to the pandemic and the social distancing mandates that came with the pandemic. These six drivers are: a) the total COVID-19 death rate, that is, all deaths directly related to COVID-19 infection; b) the increase in mortality due to needed health care being delayed or deferred during the pandemic; c) the increase in mortality due to increases in mental health disorders including depression, increased alcohol use, and increased opioid use; d) the reduction in mortality due to decreases in injuries because of general reductions in mobility associated with social distancing mandates; e) the reductions in mortality due to reduced transmission of other viruses, most notably influenza, respiratory syncytial virus, and measles; and f) the reductions in mortality due to some chronic conditions, such as cardiovascular disease and chronic respiratory disease, that occur when frail individuals who would have died from these conditions died earlier from COVID-19 instead. To correctly estimate the total COVID-19 mortality, we need to take into account all six of these drivers of change in mortality that have happened since the onset of the pandemic." I am not downplaying the impact...simply pointing out that there is a difference between people who died because of the virus and those who died because of the pandemic.

• Like 1

From Michael Bayley

48m  · 

Odyssey of the Seas is on the way to Florida (no guests) after completing crew changes to ensure all USA seafarer visas are in order. As part of our ongoing COVID testing protocols we had 4 positive tests out of 1,400 crew. Those crew were landed in Spain for a second test and observation by local health authorities. Shows how vigilant we have to be !
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Did they say whether the cases were from crew or passengers and if any of them were vaccinated?  I'm just curious.

Never mind, I answered my own question!  Hope they all continue to be asymptomatic and make a speedy recovery!

Edited by broadwaybaby123
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Shows how vigilant we have to be !

Translation: first few months of cruising aren't going to be particularly fun. The CDC po-po might not be there to enforce, but RCL will. They have way more to lose than anyone involved, they sure as hell aren't going to risk having ships moored and quarantined by being hands-off about masks or distancing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coldflame said:

Translation: first few months of cruising aren't going to be particularly fun. The CDC po-po might not be there to enforce, but RCL will. They have way more to lose than anyone involved, they sure as hell aren't going to risk having ships moored and quarantined by being hands-off about masks or distancing. 

This, they are not going to take chances with their money.  They have lost too much already and not following protocol to the letter will mean being quarantined to your room and dropped off at the next port.  I expect on the test cruises if they decide to go unvaccinated route to be pretty strict.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

From Michael Bayley

48m  · 

Odyssey of the Seas is on the way to Florida (no guests) after completing crew changes to ensure all USA seafarer visas are in order. As part of our ongoing COVID testing protocols we had 4 positive tests out of 1,400 crew. Those crew were landed in Spain for a second test and observation by local health authorities. Shows how vigilant we have to be !

Someone asked him on that same FB page how they would handle a future situation should a passenger test positive for Covid.  Here is the exchange: 

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 9.30.37 PM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr305 said:

Odyssey is cruising at 22 Knots, hoping this isn’t a sign of bigger problems onboard.

I think they counted on bringing the crew into Haifa for vaccinations and a 14 day period for the vaccine to "take" but couldn't because of the hostilities.  (in the US, the ships are using Johnson and Johnson -- which is one shot).  Israel has plenty of vaccine and I read they had offered it to RCI.  

They are going full speed to get to the areas near Florida as soon as possible to join the parade of ships that are presently coming in for a day or 2 to get their crew vaccinated.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I wouldn’t assume that, one of the big reasons Odyssey left Haifa was because they could not get the crew vaccinated. 

Wait, what about that war that was going on last week? What happened to that? I thought that was the main reason for the cancellation of the Haifa season?

Biker, who is waiting for a certain poster to post about that.

3 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

I think they counted on bringing the crew into Haifa for vaccinations and a 14 day period for the vaccine to "take" but couldn't because of the hostilities.

Perhaps the hostilities was not the reason the crew couldn't get vaccinated? Odyssey was in Haifa a month ago and they could have done it then BEFORE the hostilities.

Edited by Biker19

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Someone asked him on that same FB page how they would handle a future situation should a passenger test positive for Covid.  Here is the exchange: 

Sounds like a plan. I remember hearing this answer few weeks ago, at least they are consistent on one thing.

• Like 1

Trying to summarize what I've gathered, am I off here?

On Odyssey, the protocols worked, the 4-5 crew that got tested and found to possibly have Covid, asymptomatically, (assuming it wasn't a false positive) got dropped off, they'll eventually return once it's clear. 

These particular crew were just picked up in Italy, and were doing the normal self quarantine cabin process they have.  Earlier, thee ship attempted to the crew vaccinated in Israel, didn't happen, now they are going to book it to Florida to get the crew, that isn't already vaccinated, the shot.   I suspect they'll go fairly fast for a Transatlantic just to beat the clock so they can restart in July. 

And Odyssey may "BE" the first RC ship to sail from Florida on alternating 6 and 8 night itineraries starting July 3rd from Port Everglades (That aren't quite open to book yet)?

Edited by atricks

24 minutes ago, atricks said:

Trying to summarize what I've gathered, am I off here?

On Odyssey, the protocols worked, the 4-5 crew that got tested and found to possibly have Covid, asymptomatically, (assuming it wasn't a false positive) got dropped off, they'll eventually return once it's clear. 

These particular crew were just picked up in Italy, and were doing the normal self quarantine cabin process they have.  Earlier, thee ship attempted to the crew vaccinated in Israel, didn't happen, now they are going to book it to Florida to get the crew, that isn't already vaccinated, the shot.   I suspect they'll go fairly fast for a Transatlantic just to beat the clock so they can restart in July. 

And Odyssey may "BE" the first RC ship to sail from Florida on alternating 6 and 8 night itineraries starting July 3rd from Port Everglades (That aren't quite open to book yet)?

As others have said, I suspect she is rushing to get crew vaccinated in fl do their 2 week wait then start a test cruise in june.

Not sure those that tested positive for covid can get vaccinated.  They tell everyone to wait 90 days after having covid.  So the 4 or 5 crew members that may or may not have been dropped off in spain may not be able to get vaccinated and work for a couple of months.

9 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Perhaps the hostilities was not the reason the crew couldn't get vaccinated? Odyssey was in Haifa a month ago and they could have done it then BEFORE the hostilities.

See the quote from "atricks" -- post 67:

I think that's why these 4 crew members tested positive if they were picked up in Italy.  Hebollah (the terrorist group based in Lebanon) was aiming rockets at Northern Israel including Haifa, the port that Odyssey would have used while Hamas based in Gaza was aiming at Southern Israel (Hamas got more press coverage).  Therefore it wasn't safe for RCI to bring in Odyssey into Haifa to vaccinate the crew picked up in Italy.  

15 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The response is unintentionally funny. If you get covid, you just quarantine. But if you get sick, you get medical treatment.

12 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

Therefore it wasn't safe for RCI to bring in Odyssey into Haifa to vaccinate the crew picked up in Italy.

As I mentioned, Odyssey had plenty of opportunity to vaccinate the crew before hostilities. 

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

As I mentioned, Odyssey had plenty of opportunity to vaccinate the crew before hostilities. 

I still haven't figured out why the ship has to go into port to give a person a shot............how bout run a boat out to the ships with a bunch of shots.

Guess no one thought of that? go figure?

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

I am sure they did, but every ship has  as far as we know, had its crew vaccinated at the port. @chengkp75 may have an explanation. 

Probably some BS  juridiction thing,  to make it legal has to be done on land and not on the water............

17 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The response is unintentionally funny. If you get covid, you just quarantine. But if you get sick, you get medical treatment.

The answer did seem a bit odd. That's one of the dangers of social media -- people sometimes write things in a hurry without putting much thought into it.