Good times to use fitness center????

groundloop

I've never had the urge to use the fitness center on any of my previous cruises, and in fact never even bothered to see where it was located.  I've finally gotten serious about watching my weight and will want to work out fairly regularly on my future cruises.

Are there any times when it's easier to use the fitness center (short of staying on the ship while in port)?  

8 minutes ago, groundloop said:

I've never had the urge to use the fitness center on any of my previous cruises, and in fact never even bothered to see where it was located.  I've finally gotten serious about watching my weight and will want to work out fairly regularly on my future cruises.

Are there any times when it's easier to use the fitness center (short of staying on the ship while in port)?  

When most others are eating dinner. Lunch might be second.

7 minutes ago, babygrljaz said:

I've gone early morning, only a handful of people (if any) in there

Lol I was going to say the opposite.  Early in the morning about 7 am seems like the tread mills are always full up with people. Couldnt get one. Meal times and port days are the emptiest. 

I dont use the weights only the tread mills.

I've seen the gym crowded in the early AM.  As others have mentioned, I've seen fewer folk around dining times 1 and 6 pm and late afternoons 

The first sea day usually has the most people all day long.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Lol I was going to say the opposite.  Early in the morning about 7 am seems like the tread mills are always full up with people. Couldnt get one. Meal times and port days are the emptiest. 

I dont use the weights only the tread mills.

7 is not early morning to me....5, maybe as late as 6 am

The best time to go to the gym is when you go to the gym.

The crowd varys almost randomly so all I've done is just go when it fits my schedule and adjust my routine to work with what's available.  There's almost always enough equipment for each exercise between weights and machines.

Staying healthy is the best thing we can all do to prevent future nonsense.

Is it on the Splendor where you can sit in the Thalassotherapy Pool and watch the people in the gym?  Spending time there and watching, it seems the mornings were busier.  

Just my 2 cents as a gym-a-holic. Anything is a good time as long as you go. I’ve always been the most successful when I keep to a schedule. I workout first thing in the morning at home. It’s how I start my day.

I’ve put it off until the afternoon on vacation before snd I never end up going. Always get caught up in other activities or just ate or had a drink already. whatever time works best for you at home will also probably work best for you on vacation.

You can always sign up for a few fitness classes if they are offered at good times for you if you are worried about it being crowded.

Edited by sanger727

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Just my 2 cents as a gym-a-holic. Anything is a good time as long as you go. I’ve always been the most successful when I keep to a schedule. I workout first thing in the morning at home. It’s how I start my day.

I’ve put it off until the afternoon on vacation before snd I never end up going. Always get caught up in other activities or just ate or had a drink already. whatever time works best for you at home will also probably work best for you on vacation.

You can always sign up for a few fitness classes if they are offered at good times for you if you are worried about it being crowded.

The reason putting off to the afternoon doesn't work for you on a cruise is because at home you go in the morning. The reason I go in the afternoon on a cruise is because I go in the afternoon at home. 

Regarding workouts it definitely is better if you keep the same routine as when you're home.

BTW, gym-aholic here also. Many times I'll go twice a day on a cruise since it's so convenient. Cardio late morning, weight training late afternoon. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

I have gone to the fitness center on multiple Carnival ships over the years from early in the morning until late afternoon. The only time I have seen the center remotely crowded has been in the morning on sea days. But it never gets crowded like you normally see at land based gyms early mornings and late afternoons. And I literally have been the only one in the fitness center numerous times on port days. 

9 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Congratulations on the decision to become more health conscious. Now, anytime that you see everyone wearing a mask and distancing is the right time. 

Once upon a time I was in great shape..... played amateur ice hockey, hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week, and ran 5 miles a day.  After a while life, marriage, a desk job, and kids kind of got in the way of staying fit.  Now that I'm retired I can pretty much work out whenever I want, so I'm doing it first thing every morning and every evening.  Have lost 35 pounds so far, with another 20 or so to go.  

And I was just thinking about masking and social distancing (which I've been doing religiously since the start of the pandemic) - I can't remember anytime in my life when I've gone well over a year without so much as catching a single cold.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2021 at 10:13 PM, groundloop said:

I usually go to the gym onboard almost daily when cruising.  Sea Days - mid Afternoon is a good time or late afternoon.  Port days - after you get back onboard from your port day.  

3 hours ago, BrotherCraig said:

Port days - after you get back onboard from your port day.

I have a beef about that issue. On both the Vista and Horizon I've done exactly as you state and gone to the gym in the late afternoon on a Port Day;however, it's been my experience that's when certain crew members also use the gym. I don't begrudge employees from using guest facilities but it shouldn't be at the expense of guests. During these times there were more employees working out than guests and I've had to wait to use the equipment. Sounds petty but I wouldn't be annoyed if it were guests, but crew do have their own fitness center, albeit not as extensive as the one for the guests. Guests should not have to wait to use guest facilities that are being used by crew members.

The other annoyance I have on their newest ships is embarkation day.  After the safety drill my go to is to use the gym which would generally be around 4-4:30. Now it seems like they are commandeering the gym to hold their spa raffles and preventing people from working out until after the raffle. While the spa raffle has always been held after the safety drill they previously never prevented people from using the fitness equipment. I will admit it sometimes was award and in the past I've asked people sitting on fitness equipment waiting for the raffle drawing  that I'd like to use that weight machine. I guess the new policy is to avoid those kinds of encounters. I'd prefer that they choose a different venue for the raffle and allow people to use the Fitness Center as intended. 

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

I have a beef about that issue. On both the Vista and Horizon I've done exactly as you state and gone to the gym in the late afternoon on a Port Day;however, it's been my experience that's when certain crew members also use the gym. I don't begrudge employees from using guest facilities but it shouldn't be at the expense of guests. During these times there were more employees working out than guests and I've had to wait to use the equipment. Sounds petty but I wouldn't be annoyed if it were guests, but crew do have their own fitness center, albeit not as extensive as the one for the guests. Guests should not have to wait to use guest facilities that are being used by crew members.

The other annoyance I have on their newest ships is embarkation day.  After the safety drill my go to is to use the gym which would generally be around 4-4:30. Now it seems like they are commandeering the gym to hold their spa raffles and preventing people from working out until after the raffle. While the spa raffle has always been held after the safety drill they previously never prevented people from using the fitness equipment. I will admit it sometimes was award and in the past I've asked people sitting on fitness equipment waiting for the raffle drawing  that I'd like to use that weight machine. I guess the new policy is to avoid those kinds of encounters. I'd prefer that they choose a different venue for the raffle and allow people to use the Fitness Center as intended. 

I have been fortunate to never encounter any of those things.   I would be a little ticked if they didn't allow me in the gym during their raffle.  I seen the raffle but it was in the spa lobby when I have witnessed it.  Didn't affect me and that was on the Breeze.  Totally understand why you would be annoyed by it.