New appreciation for NCL

5 hours ago, Old & Retired said:

So you live your life worried about how other people conduct their personal lives because it *might* have some adverse effect on your own personal life?  Methinks staying under your bed might be the best solution.

Not necessary.  Thanks to the CDC and NCL, I'll be able to cruise without a bunch of other people screwing up my personal life.  I don't care if they stay under their beds or not, as long as they don't board my ship and get sick.  Thanks to the vaccine requirement, that ain't going to happen! 😎

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Not necessary.  Thanks to the CDC and NCL, I'll be able to cruise without a bunch of other people screwing up my personal life.  I don't care if they stay under their beds or not, as long as they don't board my ship and get sick.  Thanks to the vaccine requirement, that ain't going to happen! 😎

Honestly I am vaccinated and starting to get to the point that I am not worried about getting "it".  But I damn sure ain't taking a cruise where I have to socially distance and wear a mask, so if that means a fully vaccinated cruise, then kudos NCL, I am all in.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oteixeira said:

Honestly I am vaccinated and starting to get to the point that I am not worried about getting "it".  But I damn sure ain't taking a cruise where I have to socially distance and wear a mask, so if that means a fully vaccinated cruise, then kudos NCL, I am all in.

Yep.  That other guy is just.....being himself.  It happens.  Hey, it's a free country, right?  Some choose to get vaccinated and have a terrific time on a cruise!  Others have fun staying at home and posting on the internet about the evils of vaccinations and telling others that they should live under their beds.  Like I said, it's a free country....   I can guarantee you this.  I'll spend a whole lot more time in the bars on the Encore than I will under my bed.  Under the table??  Well, hopefully not, but that booze package is a lot of fun!  (that is, if you're vaccinated and they let you on the ship)  See y'all on the open seas!!

• Like 5

We recently had our Joy sailing cancelled, and it's been a blessing in disguise.

We've rebooked with Viking, for an all vaccinated cruise on a ship that has an onboard PCR lab which will test everyone, every day, with the most reliable test available. NCL insist on the less reliable antigen test before embarkation, but no further testing once onboard - so no, they haven't done "everything possible to ensure passenger safety".

We're paying less than we would have with NCL, once you factor in shore excursions and drinks. I think Viking will be a better fit for our style, and I feel good about not rewarding NCL for the way they've prioritized profits over customers. Viking paid their staff a reduced salary throughout out the lockdown, rather than laying them off, and so I imagine everyone feels good about who they work for when they do get back to work.

We are no loss to NCL as customers, as this would have been our first cruise with them and so it doesn't matter that we'll never sail with them in the future.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

Because the shot does not prevent you from catching the virus. It only prevents you from getting seriously ill when you catch the virus from being careless.

I tend to agree with @oteixeira and @CaptainWoody - let's set sail on vaccinated cruises.

Strangely, I cannot find the "careless" factor in the scientific data.  Is that when you wear one of those terribly ineffective (feel good) paper or cloth masks?  Or is it when you are out at a bar at 11:01 PM when the virus becomes magically more contagious?  Or maybe it is when you sit inches from the next passenger on an airplane (which is assumed safe), but not safe if you stand 6 feet from someone on an open deck with a 20 knot relative wind (which is presumed unsafe).

But I also agree with @DCGuy64; it's time to give it a rest and start sailing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WanderingBrit said:

We recently had our Joy sailing cancelled, and it's been a blessing in disguise.

We've rebooked with Viking, for an all vaccinated cruise on a ship that has an onboard PCR lab which will test everyone, every day, with the most reliable test available. NCL insist on the less reliable antigen test before embarkation, but no further testing once onboard - so no, they haven't done "everything possible to ensure passenger safety".

We're paying less than we would have with NCL, once you factor in shore excursions and drinks. I think Viking will be a better fit for our style, and I feel good about not rewarding NCL for the way they've prioritized profits over customers. Viking paid their staff a reduced salary throughout out the lockdown, rather than laying them off, and so I imagine everyone feels good about who they work for when they do get back to work.

We are no loss to NCL as customers, as this would have been our first cruise with them and so it doesn't matter that we'll never sail with them in the future.

That sounds great, my dad is planning to sail with Viking later this year.

I'd love to hear how your cruise goes with them. They're a little too rich for my blood, however. I'd gladly sail with Viking for the price of NCL, but I have never found fares that were comparably priced for the type of cabin we usually select (balcony or OV). Our upcoming NCL cruise is only costing us $2,600 for 2, including roundtrip airfare. Does Viking ever offer prices that low? Hope you have a GREAT cruise! It does sound as though they've done right by their employees. They're to be congratulated.

19 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

That sounds great, my dad is planning to sail with Viking later this year.

I'd love to hear how your cruise goes with them. They're a little too rich for my blood, however. I'd gladly sail with Viking for the price of NCL, but I have never found fares that were comparably priced for the type of cabin we usually select (balcony or OV). Our upcoming NCL cruise is only costing us $2,600 for 2, including roundtrip airfare. Does Viking ever offer prices that low? Hope you have a GREAT cruise! It does sound as though they've done right by their employees. They're to be congratulated.

We were in a Haven Aft Balcony Suite on Joy, which was more than the discounted Junior Penthouse Suite on Viking Orion. I don't think Viking ever tries to compete with the fare you quote, as they're typically in more rarified air!

1 minute ago, WanderingBrit said:

We were in a Haven Aft Balcony Suite on Joy, which was more than the discounted Junior Penthouse Suite on Viking Orion. I don't think Viking ever tries to compete with the fare you quote, as they're typically in more rarified air!

Aha, gotcha. Yah, my wife and I don't have that kind of dosh lying around, sadly. One day! Have a great cruise! I see Viking's advertisements on public TV all the time and it looks fabulous. I'm sure they'll pamper you. "Exploring the world in comfort." 😃

• Like 1

On 6/1/2021 at 9:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

Because the shot does not prevent you from catching the virus. It only prevents you from getting seriously ill when you catch the virus from being careless.

I am sorry but can you show a scientific source that says the shot does not help you in terms of your chances of catching the virus.  The whole 90%+ rating is about the fact that you are 90%+ LESS LIKELY to catch covid, is it not?  And if that is true, does that not mean that we are in fact taking the shot so that we are much less likely to catch the virus, and thus, it does prevent us (90%+ of the time) from getting said virus?  

I find it fascinating that you came to your conclusion that I will still get the virus from being careless.  Please do post the journal or findings that show that.  I would be happy to post the results of the trials that show that 9 out of every10 people can go back to "careless" living and not catch it.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, oteixeira said:

I am sorry but can you show a scientific source that says the shot does not help you in terms of your chances of catching the virus.  The whole 90%+ rating is about the fact that you are 90%+ LESS LIKELY to catch covid, is it not?  And if that is true, does that not mean that we are in fact taking the shot so that we are much less likely to catch the virus, and thus, it does prevent us (90%+ of the time) from getting said virus?  

I find it fascinating that you came to your conclusion that I will still get the virus from being careless.  Please do post the journal or findings that show that.  I would be happy to post the results of the trials that show that 9 out of every10 people can go back to "careless" living and not catch it.

I think the "Journal or Findings" is watching too much CNN!!🙄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oteixeira said:

It's a clear case of information lag here. When the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were first approved for EAU, there was no data on whether the vaccines reduced the likelihood of contracting or transmitting COVID-19. The data was around severity of disease and it was clear that both vaccines did DRASTICALLY reduce the severity of COVID in the trial subjects who contracted it.

We have since learned that even asymptomatic or mild COVID is rare in vaccinated people as is their likelihood of transmitting the disease. That is why the CDC changed their guidance around masking and social distancing for fully vaccinated people. But it seems that some people haven't heard or comprehended the latest data.

Edit: I watch CNN every single day and they have reported on all of this as it unfolded. I can promise you that no one on CNN is currently saying that vaccinated people are likely to catch COVID through careless actions.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

We have since learned that even asymptomatic or mild COVID is rare in vaccinated people as is their likelihood of transmitting the disease. That is why the CDC changed their guidance around masking and social distancing for fully vaccinated people. But it seems that some people haven't heard or comprehended the latest data.

As always, I agree with you. But there will, it seems, always be a certain segment of the population that believes the following:

1. Any vaccine has at least some risk associated with it that might allow for transmission.

2. Some risk of transmission means some people might get sick and die.

3. Since some people might get sick and die, we can't have nice things again, now or ever.

I am so sick and tired of arguing with people who think like that. Since I am vaccinated and have previously had Covid-19, I am going to live my life responsibly but not in a bubble and I will take risks like I always have done. Risk is inherent to living one's life. I will not hide under my bed and I will continue to travel.

Again, I think you are 100% correct, @JamieLogical. I just wish more people would get the facts and not be too scared to go back to life as normal.

• Like 5

I agree 100% with the OP.  Watching that series makes me feel a lot better about where NCL is heading.   I am hopeful about my cruise in January going off without an issue.

I said before, but NCLs vaccine policy is the correct one, strictly from a business standpoint if nothing else.  Imagine a cruise with half the people not vaccinated, and there's an outbreak on the ship.  even if just 40 or 50 people get it, that's going to be terrible publicity for the cruise line and the industry.  It COULD create more cancellations and panic among cruisers, and could doom the industry or at worst set it back another year.   This way, they are reasonably sure that there won't be an outbreak, that if people act smart they will have a great time, and they can ramp things up.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steveknj said:

I agree 100% with the OP.  Watching that series makes me feel a lot better about where NCL is heading.   I am hopeful about my cruise in January going off without an issue.

I said before, but NCLs vaccine policy is the correct one, strictly from a business standpoint if nothing else.  Imagine a cruise with half the people not vaccinated, and there's an outbreak on the ship.  even if just 40 or 50 people get it, that's going to be terrible publicity for the cruise line and the industry.  It COULD create more cancellations and panic among cruisers, and could doom the industry or at worst set it back another year.   This way, they are reasonably sure that there won't be an outbreak, that if people act smart they will have a great time, and they can ramp things up.  

exactly, I am disappointed in other cruiselines for not following NCL in having vaccinated sailings at least until end of Oct.  Because it's a situation of "If one of us fails, all of us fail", and idk about you, I can just see a Carnival ship having something bad happen on it and it all gets shut down again, with terrible headlines that affect all cruiselines. They should all be erring on the side of safety. Yes, sucks for the kids and immunocompromised that can't get vaccines, but it's only for a little while. I'm mostly disappointed that Royal didn't mirror NCL's health and safety protocols, seeing as they put together this health and safety panel together and said they wouldn't compete on health and safety.

• Like 3

Just now, aubreyc1988 said:

exactly, I am disappointed in other cruiselines for not following NCL in having vaccinated sailings at least until end of Oct.  Because it's a situation of "If one of us fails, all of us fail", and idk about you, I can just see a Carnival ship having something "bad" happen on it and it all gets shut down again, with terrible headlines that affect all cruiselines. All it takes is as few as 3-5 positive cases for the media to get ahold of it.They should all be erring on the side of safety. Yes, sucks for the kids and immunocompromised that can't get vaccines, but it's only for a little while. I'm mostly disappointed that Royal didn't mirror NCL's health and safety protocols, seeing as they put together this health and safety panel together and said they wouldn't compete on health and safety.

On 6/2/2021 at 11:32 AM, Old & Retired said:

So you live your life worried about how other people conduct their personal lives because it *might* have some adverse effect on your own personal life?  Methinks staying under your bed might be the best solution.

Methinks you've never been on an aborted or abbreviated cruise due to illness.  Or perhaps, never have even taken a cruise judging by the attitudes. 

The classic "stay under your bed" unmitigated nonsense. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2021 at 8:08 PM, BirdTravels said:

That is an old belief and simply untrue.  Even Fauci now admits that the vaccine prevents you from becoming ill or spreading the disease.  

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

That is an old belief and simply untrue.  Even Fauci now admits that the vaccine prevents you from becoming ill or spreading the disease.  

Not exactly true.

He has said that the possibility of infection or transmission is "very, very low" but "not impossible."  That is not "prevents."

2 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

He has said that the possibility of infection or transmission is "very, very low" but "not impossible."

I don't know about everybody else, but "very, very low" is good enough for me. 😊

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Thanks.  Some folks are so bored from not cruising that they're ready to argue about anything they can find.  

Yep, and some are convinced that a 5% chance of getting sick = certain doom for the cruise industry.

🙄

21 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yep, and some are convinced that a 5% chance of getting sick = certain doom for the cruise industry.

🙄

I definitely don't think it will happen.  But if there would be a 5% infection rate on a sailing (150 illnesses), yes it would be the end of the cruise industry as we know it. 

You kind of lose perspective of the huge amount of reticence to cruise that is out there in the public if your focus is a message board of cruise addicts.  Many very educated and travel savvy people we talk to think we need to be placed in a rubber room because we are excited to sail again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

🙄

Let's use your figure, 5%. On a Breakaway class ship that holds 4000 passengers, that's 200 people.

They won't all get sick if the virus gets on board, of course, but even if 5% (your number) of *those* people get infected, your headline isn't "99 percent of NCL passengers return safely from cruise," it's "Covid outbreak on cruise ship rises to double digits."

• Like 2