LIVE Virtuosa 05/06/21 the first 7 night sailing.

kernow

On 6/5/2021 at 4:28 PM, jmadds said:

Hope you have an amazing time! We're on board in a few weeks cannot wait. If at all possible would be great if you could upload the PDF main dining room menus from the MSC app? Someone's already uploaded everything else but as it's the first 7 nighter there's a few MDR menus not yet shared ☺ 

Here you are!
Monday is elegant night

F95A3B5C-8E9B-41E4-AA8E-447ABC20CBC9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's lovely sunny weather at the moment, we're sitting out in the sunshine enjoying more cocktails.

Last night after dinner we went to the Carousel lounge to see Soul Sisters. We really enjoyed them, it's great to see some live music again. The lounge was full to (reduced) capacity so seems like they are very popular. 

Tonight is Elegant night and also the John Bishop show. We've just met him on the YC sundeck, seems like a nice man.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, kernow said:

Everything feels surprisingly normal.

The main difference is the low number of passengers onboard which makes the ship feel empty at times. I really notice it walking down the Promenade, somewhere that would normally be busy only ever has a handful of other people around. The theatre too has been fairly empty. All venues have seats marked as not in use to enforce the social distancing, there are still always lots of seats with the low numbers.

Masks have to be worn while moving around inside and out. You are allowed to remove them when seated for eating or drinking (or on a sunlounger). In effect most people remove them the moment they sit down which seems to be allowed. They do announce in the theatre that masks should be worn but I've noticed people removing them once the performance starts.

The vast majority of people are conforming without being told, this has pretty much been the law in the UK for the last year and we are all used to it now. Because of this it's been no problem for us and hasn't spoilt the cruise. I'm not sure how it would go down in the US as from what I've seen mask wearing has not been so widespread for you?

All of the staff wear masks all of the time apart from the performers (and people like the CD when he is speaking to an audience). 

None of this has bothered us and it all feels very safe. I'm sure a couple of years ago this would have sounded unbelievable but it's amazing how we've all changed. We're just loving being able to cruise again.

Thanks very much for this.

Although we're in Florida, where mask restrictions have been eased up lately, DH is a Glasgow guy, and we still have family over there, so we've been getting all the latest on how things are going for them.

we can only imagine how nice it must be for you to be back cruising AND enjoying YC.  We're hoping that we're able to do the same on the Mera in August!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 2

What a lovely trip report. Thank you so much for sharing!

Did you consider overnighting before boarding? We are closer to S’ton than you (in Exeter) and thought we would probably do that but I guess it depends partly on the boarding time.

25 minutes ago, Miffy2003 said:

What a lovely trip report. Thank you so much for sharing!

Did you consider overnighting before boarding? We are closer to S’ton than you (in Exeter) and thought we would probably do that but I guess it depends partly on the boarding time.

Unfortunately we had to work last Friday so didn't have time to overnight. In the past we have arrived in Southampton the night before and it is a nice start to the holiday.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday afternoon we used the Fun pass we had pre purchased for the first time. The £140 credit was on my card. Mark tried the F1 simulator which cost £12 for 5 minutes. I plan to have a go later in the cruise but I guessed that he would have a better idea than me (he's done track days before) so I could watch him first. He managed a couple of times around Monza😁 only crashing once.

20210607_131631.jpg

• Like 6

We also tried the Marketplace buffet for the first time. It was quite busy but not too bad. They hand you everything on a plate now and it seemed to work well. Only a few counters are open and there is a much smaller selection than normal, we both had pasta which was good.

Last night was the John Bishop show. TBH I wouldn't normally go and see a comedian but Mark loves them so I thought why not. I have to admit he was so funny, I was laughing throughout. He made lots of jokes about YC and how his butler has been looking after him, all things that we've been saying ourselves, it was hilarious.

It really came over that he was so happy to be back in front of an audience again for his first show since the pandemic. I think everyone warmed to him. 

Later in the evening after his second show he walked back into the Topsail lounge and everyone cheered him.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Is his show open to everyone? Or just a private event? I saw there was some confusion about that earlier. 

It was a private event run by a big UK travel agent but they opened the left over tickets to everyone else onboard.

It was a good bit of advertising for them as they were mentioned at the show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kernow said:

We've just heard that Greenock is cancelled for tomorrow. More information to follow but apparently due to Scottish government regulations.

That's such a shame you wont get to sail up Clyde, fingers crossed they can still sail the coast for the views.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

We've just heard that Greenock is cancelled for tomorrow. More information to follow but apparently due to Scottish government regulations.

Not at all surprised, Delta COVID-19 variant is spiking UK wide and this will be cautionary on SG advice!

Hard to believe this, but the same SG gave the go ahead for a fanzone at Glasgow Green for the duration of the Euros....including the sale of food and alcohol from the typical vendors who frequent large events! This will likely be pulled today with only 3 days to go till Euros commence, there's rightly been a huge outcry from pub and restaurant owners who have been locked down and are now open under restrictions as to why a fanzone for up to 6000 people can go ahead at this time....and it's not just for the Scotland games, but every single Euros match!

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kernow said:

Annoying as it is, the weather outlook in these parts is rain for tomorrow so maybe not so bad having a full day in the amazing Yacht Club.