Final payment soon - but will we be cruising?

Gma&Gpa

My final payment is due one month from today.   Now, the question is, -  what are the chances that we will know if we'll be cruising in October by the final payment date? For a long time, we felt that was NO way we would be cruising in October. We are scheduled on the Freedom, out of Miami - on Oct 9.  For months, it didn't even show up - and now is showing for the last two weeks as a cruise that can be booked.  All 7 of us in our group have been vaccinated - so that's not a problem for any of us.  But we would like to get reservations made for a hotel in Miami and a few of them are flying from Ohio and need plane reservations.  So far, they have not booked their flights.  It's just so hard not knowing, as I am a planner for sure.  I guess a lot of us in that same situation these days.  

5 minutes ago, Gma&Gpa said:

My final payment is due one month from today.   Now, the question is, -  what are the chances that we will know if we'll be cruising in October by the final payment date? For a long time, we felt that was NO way we would be cruising in October. We are scheduled on the Freedom, out of Miami - on Oct 9.  For months, it didn't even show up - and now is showing for the last two weeks as a cruise that can be booked.  All 7 of us in our group have been vaccinated - so that's not a problem for any of us.  But we would like to get reservations made for a hotel in Miami and a few of them are flying from Ohio and need plane reservations.  So far, they have not booked their flights.  It's just so hard not knowing, as I am a planner for sure.  I guess a lot of us in that same situation these days.  

I believe it is a 100% chance you will be sailing IF there are no further setbacks or something crazy happens.  I would start booking.

• Like 1

For quite a while - everything I read kept saying the Freedom's first cruise back would be Oct 17 (the day we get back) - but since they are now showing it as "bookable" - I'm feeling pretty hopeful

Pride's July sailings are all cancelled (as expected), the August sailings all give the "it's not cancelled, but you can cancel if you like" kind of message, and the Sept sailings all show as flat out not cancelled....Hopefully that sticks 🙂

As others said, I think as long as there's no covid catastrophe all the currently scheduled cruises for September and onward will cruise.  In case you don't know, you can check the status on any cruise on carnival's website daily, click on "cancelled cruises" on the homepage and enter the ship, sailing date and length-of-cruise.  So far our September Pride sailing is on, and I am confident it's going to sail as scheduled.

IntrepidFromDC - I have checked the Carnival Site numerous times - and it says NOT CANCELLED.  However, I've seen so many different posts that stated that the first cruise back for each ship is "....." and Freedom was always showing the 17th of October.  Of course, things have gotten better with Covid and vaccines - so hopefully that is no longer the case

They might extend your final payment deadline if there is still uncertainty.  We sail in just over a month (July 15th) and we have not had to make final payment yet (deadline was extended until June 14th).

Having said that, I did book our flights/hotel way in advance, knowing I could cancel if necessary, because I was afraid prices would be high if I waited until closer to the cruise.  Although the airfare is not refundable (we are flying Delta and Southwest) both flights are changeable for no fee.

Yesterday I cancelled 2 spa cabins on the September 19 Dream sailing out of Galveston.  I forfeited something over $600.

All 4 of us are fully vaccinated but with final payment due next week, after 2 lengthy discussions the consensus was "Let's Wait to See."  We all agree with the fully vaccinated start-up concept.  Just decided not yet...

It's been way too long since my last cruise.

9 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Yesterday I cancelled 2 spa cabins on the September 19 Dream sailing out of Galveston.  I forfeited something over $600.

All 4 of us are fully vaccinated but with final payment due next week, after 2 lengthy discussions the consensus was "Let's Wait to See."  We all agree with the fully vaccinated start-up concept.  Just decided not yet...

It's been way too long since my last cruise.

I feel your hesitation, but truth be told, if all of you are vaccinated and the cruise isn’t until September, me thinks you jumped the gun and are going to regret it.

• Like 2

I've been looking at flights and rooms for the Nov cruise.  I see there are a lot of offers for free cancellations on the rooms, which is a blessing.  I think if you book with United Airlines and cancel, you will at least get credit back for a future flight.  Yes, it's a pain.

Our final payment is due on July 4. Flights for four of us plus an infant, are booked. Hotel, transportation, and 1 excursion are done. Our main concern right now is the infant, our great-granddaughter, not being allowed due to not being able to be vaccinated. I understand that there may be news coming out shortly regarding what protocols will be in effect. The waiting is torture! I just hope that they don't have to cancel, as this cruise has been booked since October 2019!

I am on the same cruise, Freedom Oct 9th.  I had booked flights using Carnival's fly2fun the first day it opened (321 days out).  I am glad I did as the rates for flights have gone up so much.  I had never used fly2fun before but I did not have to pay for the flights until the final payment is due and if Carnival cancels I get my money back.     We had also booked a back up plan, refundable hotel, and rental car, plus used points for Southwest flights just in case the cruise did get cancelled.   I will cancel my back up vacation a week before the cruise when I know for sure.   I am keeping my figures crossed that we will be sailing away !!