Disembarkation Time and Catching a Flight

Kmacht79

Hi.  We are booked on a western Mediterranean cruise in October on NCL out of Barcelona and trying to figure out flights home.  The itinerary shows the ship getting in at 5am.  Any idea what time we would be allowed to disembark.  There are flights we can catch at both 11:15 am and 12:15 that morning.  The 11:15am flight is about $200 per person cheaper but I am not sure if it is going to be cutting it too close trying to catch an 11am international flight.  Thoughts for those of you that have done this before?

It really depends on disembarkation. We have done Barcelona and we have always tried to catch an afternoon flight just in case, sometimes disembarkation goes slow and can create a lot of problems. Try to make it as stress free as possible. We have never had a problem but again we book afternoon flights. Good Luck

• Like 1

We did this cruise in Sept 2019. AWESOME trip!

Our flight wasn't until 1pm so we weren't in any rush to get off the ship, but when we went to bfast at 7am we noticed LOTS of people were disembarking and heading to the taxi line.

I'm sure you'd be fine with the earlier flight, but since there's only an hr difference, i'd go for the later one. Less stress.

• Like 1

Disembarkation should start at around 6am, but unless you have some sort of priority (ie Haven) then it may be a bit later than that before you can get off. If you can carry your own bags off then that may help.

There is no immigration to worry about at the port which helps.

At that time of day the traffic to the airport shouldn’t be too bad (not sure what ship you are on so if it is a weekday then it will be busier). On a good run you could be at the airport soon after 7, and should be there by 8.

Book a transfer in advance rather than waiting for a taxi as that can sometimes take a bit of time in the queue.

You should be ok for 11.15 (I have made an am flight in Barcelona with time to spare). However, given the choice I always book one in the early afternoon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmacht79 said:

Hi.  We are booked on a western Mediterranean cruise in October on NCL out of Barcelona and trying to figure out flights home.  The itinerary shows the ship getting in at 5am.  Any idea what time we would be allowed to disembark.  There are flights we can catch at both 11:15 am and 12:15 that morning.  The 11:15am flight is about $200 per person cheaper but I am not sure if it is going to be cutting it too close trying to catch an 11am international flight.  Thoughts for those of you that have done this before?

For international flights, check in 3hrs prior in Barcelona.  

Can't find my Daily for Barcelona, but there was a blurb on the previous day's Daily about buying Airport Transfers.  It says that flight departures from BCN should be after 10am

LAST CALL AIRPORT & PLAZA CATALUNA TRANSFER Purchase your transfer ticket latest by 12:00p tomorrow, to Barcelona Airport (BCN) $25 per person (Flight departure time should not be before

10:00a) or to Plaza Catalufia (Pier to City Stop) $10 per person. Booking Deadline: Saturday - Palma at 12:00p. Register at the Guest Services Desk, Deck 5, Mid.

2 hours ago, Kmacht79 said:

I don't know if it's too late, but when you booked, did you opt for NCL's air promotion? I believe they'll definitely get you to the airport on time.

I am a Barcelona veteran, having taken many TA's from Miami. Once disembarkation was delayed for a couple of hours because of some kind of port glitch. Early fliers missed their flights. Disembarkation time everywhere depends on so many factors, cutting it close is risky.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kmacht79 said:

The 11:15 is no problem. But, you have to be willing to do a self disembarkation (carry your own luggage off the ship). The gangway opens early. There is no customs or immigration checks at the port of Barcelona. We just grab a taxi and are at the airport in no time (best to have Euros to pay for the taxi).

Every time we have been there, there has been no line at immigrations at the airport. They have a large duty free mall (leave some time to shop). 

Looked back and our flight was at 1:00 and got moved up to 11:00 by British Airways and we had ample time.  This was pre-covid but we walked off ship and had plenty of time to catch an uber to the airport (in a torrential downpour).  

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The 11:15 is no problem. But, you have to be willing to do a self disembarkation (carry your own luggage off the ship). The gangway opens early. There is no customs or immigration checks at the port of Barcelona. We just grab a taxi and are at the airport in no time (best to have Euros to pay for the taxi).

Every time we have been there, there has been no line at immigrations at the airport. They have a large duty free mall (leave some time to shop). 

They have a large duty free mall (leave some time to shop). 

Caution about duty free shopping for alcohol and liquids - NOT acceptable for carry on must

be in checked luggage - careful what you pack the bottle(s) in !

41 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Caution about duty free shopping for alcohol and liquids - NOT acceptable for carry on must

Wait, are you saying that the procedure that TSA accepts for domestic flight connections isn't allowed in Europe, or that the shops at Barcelona El Prat airport don't offer it, or what?

TSA says:

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

• The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Wait, are you saying that the procedure that TSA accepts for domestic flight connections isn't allowed in Europe, or that the shops at Barcelona El Prat airport don't offer it, or what?

TSA says:

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:

• The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.

You are correct the international TSA has different applications from domestic USA travel.

7 hours ago, warburg said:

I am a Barcelona veteran, having taken many TA's from Miami. Once disembarkation was delayed for a couple of hours because of some kind of port glitch. Early fliers missed their flights. Disembarkation time everywhere depends on so many factors, cutting it close is risky.

The procedure after a TA is hugely different to after a normal Med cruise. Forma TA there is immigration and clearing the op for disembarkation will be much more complicated that on a cruise where the last stop was from a EU country (maybe even Spain itself). If I was arriving at Barcelona after a TA then I wouldn’t consider a flight until later afternoon, but unless something exceptional happens (security issue or weather delay for example) then disembarkation will start at around 6am. They have been running these cruises for years and I’m not aware of a delay having occurred.

I have a 10am flight back Oct 3rd and I'm not worried at all.

Since my cruise will not leave EU there will be no customs and passport control.

Airport is less than 30 minutes away with taxi. Also have fast track at airport.

10 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

They have a large duty free mall (leave some time to shop). 

Ahhhh,,,, no. Just like buying a bottle of soda post-security at any domestic airport, you can carry it around all you want. 

if, after clearing customs (and declaring the alcohol) in the US and you are re-checking your bags, you need to stash bottles in your bags.  

8 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You are correct the international TSA has different applications from domestic USA travel.

Well, the point is that when a duty-free shop in a foreign airport seals a purchase in a tamper-evident bag, you can keep that bottle in carry-on luggage for your connection in the U.S. TSA may open the bag, test for explosives, and reseal it, or may not. But since one ordinarily has to claim all luggage for U.S. customs, it is also possible to transfer it to a bag that will be rechecked, if you can protect it adequately.

What is not allowed to to use this procedure when your flight home begins at a domestic airport, when returning from a cruise that disembarks at a U.S. port, but if you have bought liquor or perfume in a foreign port or aboard the ship, you have the opportunity to pack it in a checked bag. For that reason, I usually pack a bottle-protective sack, just in case.

However, the topic here was disembarkation at Barcelona, apparently for a flight to North America.

14 hours ago, nagguks said:

I have a 10am flight back Oct 3rd and I'm not worried at all.

Since my cruise will not leave EU there will be no customs and passport control.

Airport is less than 30 minutes away with taxi. Also have fast track at airport.

Hi nagguks. It's always interesting to see someone from Sweden which I haven't seen here before. I can see that you have been around for a while even if you have very few posts. 

I think that 10 am is a little early for a flight from Barcelona because sometimes the lines at the airport in Barcelona are long and slow. Most of the times 10 is okay but I prefer to book a later flight.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:14 PM, sverigecruiser said:

Hi nagguks. It's always interesting to see someone from Sweden which I haven't seen here before. I can see that you have been around for a while even if you have very few posts. 

I think that 10 am is a little early for a flight from Barcelona because sometimes the lines at the airport in Barcelona are long and slow. Most of the times 10 is okay but I prefer to book a later flight.

Hej!

I use fast track in security and first/business class checkin. Even if packed i'm thru in minutes 🙂

Yep I'm not very active here, I'm more of a frequent flyer and are more active in those forums.

1 hour ago, nagguks said:

Hej!

I use fast track in security and first/business class checkin. Even if packed i'm thru in minutes 🙂

Yep I'm not very active here, I'm more of a frequent flyer and are more active in those forums.

We normally fly business class but the lines can still be very slow in Barcelona.