Buffets

tuputts

2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I don't look forward to having them serve my portions for me.

To much waste.

I've found this on Holland America, where staff serve food at the buffet, that the portion sizes are much larger than I would serve myself, even if I ask for a very small portion.  I like to be able to sample a little of lots of different foods, and the setup where staff serve you is not as amenable to that.  

As Ride-the-Waves points out, scientists have been saying for months that it's extremely rare for Covid to spread via surfaces.  This change might help to reduce the risk of Noro, etc., but it is somewhat ironic that they would introduce it now, seemingly in response to Covid, when it will likely have no impact on the transmission of Covid.

• Like 5

In one of their most recent updates to cruise ship guidance, the CDC indicated that ships may allow vaccinated guests to serve themselves at buffets.  It's up to the cruise lines if they want to do this.  On recent webinars, the Princess SVP of Sales has indicated that there will likely be more plated options available on the Alaska cruises.  But Princess has not yet published the rules so we will have to wait and see what's allowed and what isn't.

• Like 5

Cruise ship buffets may not transmit COVID but let's not forget that Norovirus is waiting in the wings to take it's place in the news with an outbreak.  How often have we all seen someone use the restroom and not wash their hands or enter the buffet and walk right past the hand washing station?

I also like smaller portions so I can try a variety of foods. However, this sometimes means I take a half-portion of the fish or half an enchilada, which will probably go to waste anyway. Yes, technically it's not on my plate, so I didn't leave food behind, but technically I did because who is going to scoop up the other half I leave behind on the buffet line.

My two cents.

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

In one of their most recent updates to cruise ship guidance, the CDC indicated that ships may allow vaccinated guests to serve themselves at buffets.  It's up to the cruise lines if they want to do this.  On recent webinars, the Princess SVP of Sales has indicated that there will likely be more plated options available on the Alaska cruises.  But Princess has not yet published the rules so we will have to wait and see what's allowed and what isn't.

I'm thinking the July and August cruises will set the standard for the rest of us.  If those cruises go well, the cruise lines will relax many of the restrictions that they will likely enforce early on.  We booked AK for Sept, so hoping by then they will have 8 or 9 weeks of healthy, happy cruising!!  Those of you who are going on the early AK cruises, please come back and tell us how things were handled and what you liked and didn't like!!  Thanks!!!

• Like 1

After reading this thread, glad my next Princess cruise isn't until April 2022 (was supposed to cruise on the CB in Nov 2021, but that's been cancelled).   Hopefully by then things will be running more smoothly.

2 hours ago, DVC Calif said:

I also like smaller portions so I can try a variety of foods. However, this sometimes means I take a half-portion of the fish or half an enchilada, which will probably go to waste anyway. Yes, technically it's not on my plate, so I didn't leave food behind, but technically I did because who is going to scoop up the other half I leave behind on the buffet line.

My two cents.

In many cases I only take a small portion of many items like yourself. If they insist in giving full serving spoons of any items it's only going in the garbage most times.

This might not be all bad since it'll speed up the line with indecisive people. 😄 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DVC Calif said:

Oh don't worry about that if I'm on the ship and following you in line. I don't mind grabbing a half serving that's already portioned. Hmmm ... am I that lazy? Probably ... 😁

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DVC Calif said:

Cruise ship buffets may not transmit COVID but let's not forget that Norovirus is waiting in the wings to take it's place in the news with an outbreak.  How often have we all seen someone use the restroom and not wash their hands or enter the buffet and walk right past the hand washing station?

My two cents.

Me. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

MissP22 is correct about serving personnel not obeying "just a small amount" requests.  I frequently eat at the S. Point buffet in Vegas (the only Vegas buffet open for much of the pandemic), and the servers have to plate the food for you.  Some of the servers understand and accept "only small", but many do not.