The Gem is back!

DCGuy64

Just got an email from our travel agent a while ago that NCL is now substituting the Gem for the Sky for our upcoming September cruise. Very excited, since I really preferred the dining onboard the Gem. Now we just have to see if we can get our old room back. 

• Like 2

I find it so ironic that we were originally booked the Gem that was canceled and re-booked the Sky and now we are being moved back to the Gem. I just have to laugh.  I love the Jewel Class ships so I am happy with the change I just have to re-book shore excursions.

25 minutes ago, saltsandknit said:

I find it so ironic that we were originally booked the Gem that was canceled and re-booked the Sky and now we are being moved back to the Gem. I just have to laugh.  I love the Jewel Class ships so I am happy with the change I just have to re-book shore excursions.

You and me both! My comical tale goes like this: booked on the Joy for January 2, canceled by NCL due to Covid. Rescheduled for the Gem in September, canceled by NCL, rebooked for the Sky for September, now it’s canceled and we’re back to the Gem. 😂 At this point, I’ll take anything. This will be the third time I’ll have to book our specialty dining and the shore excursions. I hope I can still score that Ocean Villa for the same price. 

1 minute ago, KISS Kruiser said:

Thank you!  

You’re welcome. The itinerary is basically the same as the Norwegian Sky, except that the first port of call is Amber Cove instead of Puerto Plata. 

• Like 1

I just can’t believe how expensive it is. 

~$4,700 for an aft balcony with all the perks. 

Celebrity is only ~$2,200. That price doesn’t include 2 dinners in a specialty restaurant or $50 per port, but it does include your tips for the cruise. 

I love NCL, but they have to lower their prices. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

You and me both! My comical tale goes like this: booked on the Joy for January 2, canceled by NCL due to Covid. Rescheduled for the Gem in September, canceled by NCL, rebooked for the Sky for September, now it’s canceled and we’re back to the Gem. 😂 At this point, I’ll take anything. This will be the third time I’ll have to book our specialty dining and the shore excursions. I hope I can still score that Ocean Villa for the same price. 

We had a Greek isles cruise, a Panama Canal cruise and a Bermuda cruise all canceled. We have booked and re-booked so many times I don’t remember which ships. We are doing Panama in February on the Jewel, Bermuda on Oceania Insignia and Prima in 2023 instead of the Greek Isles. One of these ships will sail. 

2 hours ago, Seany527 said:

I just can’t believe how expensive it is. 

~$4,700 for an aft balcony with all the perks. 

Celebrity is only ~$2,200. That price doesn’t include 2 dinners in a specialty restaurant or $50 per port, but it does include your tips for the cruise. 

I love NCL, but they have to lower their prices. 

Are the prices for September up yet? I looked earlier today and there was nothing for the Gem until November. 

My cruise has now been changed to Norwegian Gem. Per the email I saw from my TA, NCL will allow guests to make reservations and book excursions beginning tomorrow, June 18. The site won't permit them before then.

I am wondering what itinerary will be since Grand Cayman is still stating that they are not accepting cruises for the remainder of 2021.  Carnival has already switched their July itineraries to other ports from GC.

1 minute ago, Seany527 said:

It was for an August 15 sailing.

Oh, that's totally different. That was already on the schedule. We were booked on the Norwegian Sky for September 19 and it's now been changed to the Gem. I don't think your cruise in August will be affected by this. At least I hope not.

8 minutes ago, kimandtim said:

I am wondering what itinerary will be since Grand Cayman is still stating that they are not accepting cruises for the remainder of 2021.  Carnival has already switched their July itineraries to other ports from GC.

For my October 10 Sky-now-Gem sailing, Grand Cayman is axed, Roatán & Harvest Caye moved up one day, and Costa Maya inserted the day before Cozumel.  

27 minutes ago, trivimp said:

For my October 10 Sky-now-Gem sailing, Grand Cayman is axed, Roatán & Harvest Caye moved up one day, and Costa Maya inserted the day before Cozumel.  

Costa Maya is a great replacement.  Check out Maya Chan resort.  

My TA informed me a while ago that prices are considerably higher for the "new" Gem as compared to our old reservation (which NCL cancelled when the cruise got cancelled May 28). We'd previously been booked into a Club Balcony for $3668. The same category is now $4823. So about $1200 for the same cabin. Not sure it even includes the BOGO air, and since the earlier booking was out of the DR, the price for just the airfare was $699 for two. Crazy! We'll stick with the oceanview we got.

12 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

My TA informed me a while ago that prices are considerably higher for the "new" Gem as compared to our old reservation (which NCL cancelled when the cruise got cancelled May 28). We'd previously been booked into a Club Balcony for $3668. The same category is now $4823. So about $1200 for the same cabin. Not sure it even includes the BOGO air, and since the earlier booking was out of the DR, the price for just the airfare was $699 for two. Crazy! We'll stick with the oceanview we got.

Hmmm.....we OVs booked on the Gem (11/21 & 2/28).  I was doing the old "I'll upgrade to balcony" at the last minute, when prices drop, but thinking it might be time to upgrade now.  And my OVs on both sailings are way more than what I had previously paid for balconies and mini-suites.

22 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Let's assume $4823 includes BOGO air to Miami, which is probably $99 from VA, then the cruise itself is $4724.  Your earlier cruise was $2969 without air.  That's an increase of $1755, almost 60%!

I know there are a lot of pent up demand for cruising, but at those price points I'm booking Yacht Club on MSC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Selion said:

Let's assume $4823 includes BOGO air to Miami, which is probably $99 from VA, then the cruise itself is $4724.  Your earlier cruise was $2969 without air.  That's an increase of $1755, almost 60%!

I know there are a lot of pent up demand for cruising, but at those price points I'm booking Yacht Club on MSC.

Exactly! 60% more, yikes! And to make matters worse, if you wanted to book a new reservation on the Gem, you'd be too late to get the BOGO airfare, since it's unavailable now (too close to departure). I know because I was looking at the NCL Jade for August and even though the main page shows the "2nd Guest Flies Free" feature, it's unavailable when you go into a booking. I believe the cutoff date is 90 days before sailing, which is fast approaching for the September Gem. 

5 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

since you have been on the Gem, which is better Magenta or Grand Pacific for non specialty restaurant nights? Thank you

6 minutes ago, KC12 said:

since you have been on the Gem, which is better Magenta or Grand Pacific for non specialty restaurant nights? Thank you

Both dining rooms have the same menus. It's just a matter of atmosphere and location.

7 minutes ago, KC12 said:

Sadly, I haven't been on the Gem. We had a booking but it was cancelled by NCL. Then we booked the Sky and now they've switched us to the Gem (unless they cancel this, too, LOL).

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Exactly! 60% more, yikes! And to make matters worse, if you wanted to book a new reservation on the Gem, you'd be too late to get the BOGO airfare, since it's unavailable now (too close to departure). I know because I was looking at the NCL Jade for August and even though the main page shows the "2nd Guest Flies Free" feature, it's unavailable when you go into a booking. I believe the cutoff date is 90 days before sailing, which is fast approaching for the September Gem. 

From the Terms and Conditions:

Promotional Air Offer
Reservation must be made more than 90 days prior to sailing to qualify; with the exception of the following ships/sailings which have 60 days prior:

• Gem 8/9/21-10/17/21; Jade 7/20/21-11/7/21 and Joy 8/1/21-10/16/21.

The Gem is exempt from the 90 days cutoff and the BOGO air is good up until Final Payment

• Like 1