Florida vs. CDC

logan25

How is this going to effect requiring 100% vaccination on cruise ships?  We don't have a cruise scheduled until December and it is out of NOLA so this does not directly impact us but indirectly it might.  We are fully vaccinated so I am confident that we are protected from covid related death or hospitalization.  If this legal wrangling drops the requirement for full vaccination I can easily see the petri dish image of the cruise industry rearing its ugly head.  If NCL was not requiring full vaccination we would not have booked our cruise.  With an unknown quantity of unvaccinated on board there are just too many things that can go wrong.  

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

If this legal wrangling drops the requirement for full vaccination I can easily see the petri dish image of the cruise industry rearing its ugly head. 

The implicit assumption of this statement is that, absent a regulatory requirement, the cruise lines will have no incentive to prevent disease onboard, which is both presumptuous and offensive. The reality is that the cruise industry is well aware of its (unfairly) tarnished image and if anything, it's doing everything it can to limit outbreaks. I know you said "if...drops the requirement," but your post reads more like "when."

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

The implicit assumption of this statement is that, absent a regulatory requirement, the cruise lines will have no incentive to prevent disease onboard, which is both presumptuous and offensive. The reality is that the cruise industry is well aware of its (unfairly) tarnished image and if anything, it's doing everything it can to limit outbreaks. I know you said "if...drops the requirement," but your post reads more like "when."

I don't know if the requirement for full vaccination is going to be lifted or not.  That is why I brought it up.  I am grateful to NCL for sticking to their guns and requiring all employees and passengers to be fully vaccinated.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just now, seemoreroyals said:

I don't know if the requirement for full vaccination is going to be lifted or not.  That is why I brought it up.  I am grateful to NCL for sticking to their guns and requiring all employees and passengers to be fully vaccinated.  

Me, too. The 100% vaccination requirement NCL has in place is something I support. But I'd rather the industry got to make that kind of decision as opposed to government fiat.

• Like 4

I am not a lawyer, nor pretend to be. It sounds like s temporary win for FL, but not a long term one? It's a temporary injunction that limits the CDC power. But I think that ends in July? Do we have a lawyer or legal expert here that can translate what it is really saying or what it means? 

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Me, too. The 100% vaccination requirement NCL has in place is something I support. But I'd rather the industry got to make that kind of decision as opposed to government fiat.

I agree.  That is why I think desantis political posturing and lawsuits are hurting  and not helping efforts to get the cruise industry going again.  I am as ready to return to cruising as anyone but I am not particularly interested in having my cruise interrupted by quarantine.  For now, the only way to successfully bring cruising back is with full vaccination.  NCL understands this, desantis does not.

• Like 8

The ruling means the CDC cannot enforce its order against a ship from a Florida port, but the court is delaying its enforcement until July 18.

Roger Frizzell, spokesman for Carnival Cruise Line, said in an email to NBC News “We are in the process of reviewing it”.

The court has given the CDC until July 2 to come back with a more narrow set of guidelines for cruise ships
but they must publish the scientific backing for any further measures they require cruise ships to adehere to.

So what does this do if anything l? CdC still has more time to adjust their guidelines, and just present proof. If anything, shouldn't this  just increase the amount of cruises getting approved by the CDC.

The entire disclosure can be found here. I haven’t sifted thru it yet, but I think this is a solid win for Florida. Yes, the injunction is temporary, but the new standards are jus a suggestion.

If cruise lines are not required to report out positive cases, no chance of the Petri dish label. Thats a major long term gain imo. Hallelujah 

https://www.scribd.com/document/512299252/Florida-vs-CDC#from_embed

Next question- how many times is the CDC going to court lol 

• Like 4

Just now, seemoreroyals said:

I agree.  That is why I think desantis political posturing and lawsuits are hurting  and not helping efforts to get the cruise industry going again.  I am as ready to return to cruising as anyone but I am not particularly interested in having my cruise interrupted by quarantine.  For now, the only way to successfully bring cruising back is with full vaccination.  NCL understands this, desantis does not.

I disagree with you on that. I don't agree with the use of grand statements like the ONLY way to bring cruising back is with full vaccination. No, it isn't. It's ONE way, but not the ONLY way. Your cruise isn't going to be interrupted by quarantine. And I don't see how DeSantis's lawsuit is hurting anyone, he literally just won it. There are common sense approaches to mitigating the risk (not eliminating it altogether, that's pie-in-the-sky fantasyland and won't happen), and cruising has proven to be safe. Have to sign off for now, have a great evening!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

I am with you. I sincerely hope NCL doesn't back off the 100% vaccination. It is something that made me truly excited and felt safe about traveling.  I believe each cruise line should make the decision that is best for them, but also think no one wants tl create a repeat of the diamond princess 

• Like 8

Regardless how this shakes out for the cruise industry and the state of Florida- federal court just ruled against the way CDC has handled covid (as related to sailing). I suspect other law suits will follow. Those who have backed the CDC 100% just got a rude awakening.

edited to add: 

I think some people are confusing this ruling with mandatory vaccination status for sailing. The entire case can be found here- it’s worth a read instead of msm  summaries 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 4

This debate isn't over yet.  It's just a temporary ruling for a few short weeks.  ABC just covered the story on the world news and their report stated that the unvaccinated could expect to have a different cruising experience on RCI cruises out of Florida.  The unvaccinated can expect to have to mask up whilst inside the ship.  They will having more restrictive dining options and may not be allowed access to some events and shows.  Doesn't sound like much fun to me for the unvaccinated.

I have no cruises booked for the rest of 2021 so none of this will impact me at all.  I do know that if I had a 100% vaccinated cruise booked and that was later changed to something other than a 100% vaccinated cruise, I would be cancelling ASAP.

Anyway, let's see where this all end up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, redsox1584 said:

I wonder if this is going to affect the Alaska cruises in any way

This is what I was looking for…. People said it might before but it could just be a bunch of hot air.  It sounds like all the judge wants is more specific instruction from the cdc. 

Very surprised with this ruling.

Have to say though, Judge Merryday has just given the cruise industry enough rope to do you know what. The CDC will now wash their hands and finger point back to the magistrate in case something goes south (And not a question or if but when).

One major covid outbreak on a ship out of Florida and the industry is finished.

Interesting times ahead. How will this temporary 30 day injunction affect the Alaska season? Are cruises out of Seattle in danger as we speak?

Edited by PointNemo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RaftingJeremy said:

This is what I was looking for…. People said it might before but it could just be a bunch of hot air.  It sounds like all the judge wants is more specific instruction from the cdc. 

I hope so. I will be so upset if my Alaska cruise cancels. Or if it turns into a not 100% vaccinated I will cancel 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Have to say im Pretty surprised by the ruling. Desantis wants to continue to pretend like there is no Covid.  

He is not pretending there is no Covid, he is just following the actual science. Florida is doing great, it is time for people to get back to living again. Great win for Florida and a great day for Cruisers!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The entire disclosure can be found here. I haven’t sifted thru it yet, but I think this is a solid win for Florida. Yes, the injunction is temporary, but the new standards are jus a suggestion.

If cruise lines are not required to report out positive cases, no chance of the Petri dish label. Thats a major long term gain imo. Hallelujah 

Next question- how many times is the CDC going to court lol 

Bingo! This is good thing and today a is a good day! I'm very happy for this win.

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

exactly. It only takes one "outbreak" to ruin it for the industry, they gotta be careful at first, regardless if there is a CSO or not.

• Like 3