Funicular in Ketchikan

DRS/NC

Have you ridden the funicular up the mountain to the lodge in Ketchikan?  

Can you ride it back down to to street level?  Or can you get a taxi/uber for the trip down?

I cannot walk very far (I use a rollator for short distances.)

Thanks!

I have taken the funicular from Creek Street up to the Cape Fox Lodge a number of times.  We always walk down so haven't taken it down.  But I have seen folks get off as we were waiting to board.  They clearly rode it down.

For those curious about the walk down it is a pleasant walk but there are some staircases to navigate.  And, at least pre-covid, the Cape Fox Lodge has a lovely coffee shop with views of the cruise docks and the Tongass Narrows.

• Like 1

An interesting diversion coming down from Cape Fox -

Venetia Avenue merging with Park Avenue

Park Avenue to where it intersects with the Salmon Ladder Vista -

take the trail and Creek Street boardwalk back to the ship -

you will pass "Dolly's" house -

A few blocks later the Great Alaskan Lumberjack show and 

a not to be missed Southeast Alaska Discovery Center

1 more block and you would be at one of the 4 piers where your ship awaits - - -

Google Map LINK for reference:

Google Maps

Yes!  We rode up and down, no problem with mobility.  In fact, coming down we saw a seal and a dog having a barking stand-off on the boardwalk!  If you are there in August/September,  the creek will be full of salmon (the seal was probably looking for lunch).  Doesn't smell too good, but fun to watch.

23 hours ago, QueenofEverything said:

No reason it shouldn't be.  It is actually part of the hotel and it looks like they are open.  You can check with them to verify:  capefoxlodge.com  

Several years ago the Cape Fox Lodge funicular was closed due to a mechanical issue.  I don't know how long it was closed but my recollection is that it didn't operate for several weeks during the cruise season.

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

Several years ago the Cape Fox Lodge funicular was closed due to a mechanical issue.  I don't know how long it was closed but my recollection is that it didn't operate for several weeks during the cruise season.

Was operating September 2019 - - -

I would imagine that any mechanical issues would be fixed post haste !

It is quite an attraction for visiting cruise guests and their own lodging guests -

The lodge does offer shuttle services to the marine ferry dock and airport.

1 minute ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I would imagine that any mechanical issues would be fixed post haste !

Well, despite your imagination, several years ago the funicular was out of operation for several weeks and that was during the cruise season.  At the time I suspected it must have been a serious issue given the amount of time it was out of operation.

1 minute ago, Northern Aurora said:

Well, despite your imagination, several years ago the funicular was out of operation for several weeks and that was during the cruise season.  At the time I suspected it must have been a serious issue given the amount of time it was out of operation.

Ya probably because the squirrels were on strike - not enough nuts to fuel the squirrel cage

motor to operate the lift.

Hope there was an alternative in place -

It would be a bummer to  walk over from the ship and faced with a 6 or so block uphill climb

to have lunch detoured.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Just a quick "heads up."  @NevadaJo posted a trip report on the Celebrity board.  According to his review they were in Ketchikan on August 1st and the funicular was not working.

That would be correct. We were on the same cruise, Celebrity Millennium and it was not in operation on August 1st. 😞

My husband and I will be on the Millennium in September for a B2B.  While we weren't considering taking the funicular I will try to remember to post whether it was operating or not during our two port calls.  From the cruise docks it is obvious if it is operating.

I have wondered if there are issues with salt water corrosion given its proximity to the Tongass Narrows.

@NevadaJo posted a positive review.  I hope @DogLoverhad a great experience.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am posting on the second leg of a B2B.  The funicular wasn’t working last week, and I was told by a local that it has not been in operation all summer.  According to this person the car is going to be replaced with a larger car and so some work has to be done at the base.  This person thought that it would be operational next June.  

Today I asked another local resident.  She confirmed that it has not been in operation all summer, but the reason was totally different.  She told me that Cape Fox spends between 10K to 15K on annual maintenance.   Since no one knew if there would be a cruise season the money was not allocated.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 6:41 PM, Northern Aurora said:

It has been out of service during several of my trips.