Where To Enjoy Lunch With Table Service On Port Days? Foodies, Please Tell Us Your Favorite(s) Bites On Viking Ocean!

C-sea

17 hours ago, Jazmyn49 said:

We split one of the huge Viking Burgers at the Pool Grill.  Just tell them to put it on 2 plates.  We must save room for ice cream, especially if Pinky is serving.  She's a gem.

Ah Pinky - even requesting 1 scoop you received an entire bowl. Great memories.😀

• Like 3

On 6/21/2021 at 5:54 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Gelato-The World Cafe, try the sugar free flavors of ice cream and cookies-some we like better than full sugar ones

Wow!  Where did you find those?  I love their ice cream and I usually end up gaining 10 lbs. by the end of the cruise (could also be the wine 😉).  I didn't know they had sugar-free varieties of ice cream and cookies.

Although The Restaurant isn’t generally open for lunch I remember them opening for a few days on our first VO cruise (Homelands).  We love The Restaurant so we made a beeline for it when we returned from a morning excursion.  We were seated next to a window and almost as soon as we sat the windows opened!  It was a beautiful sunny day so they opened things up and it was delightful!

• Like 4

On 6/22/2021 at 10:13 PM, eylarson said:

On World Cruise 2019 after departing Robinson Crusoe Island we had lobster for two days running. 

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

We were on the segment that went from Santiago to Sydney where is was served !  It was amazing , I know I had at least two.  The chef went out that morning with the local fisherman and brought back these amazing lobsters. Literally just hours between being caught and served.    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, millybess said:

Wow!  Where did you find those?  I love their ice cream and I usually end up gaining 10 lbs. by the end of the cruise (could also be the wine 😉).  I didn't know they had sugar-free varieties of ice cream and cookies.

Yep. Same place with the rest of the ice cream and cookies.  Seems like usually two of each. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, molymoo said:

Although The Restaurant isn’t generally open for lunch I remember them opening for a few days on our first VO cruise (Homelands).  We love The Restaurant so we made a beeline for it when we returned from a morning excursion.  We were seated next to a window and almost as soon as we sat the windows opened!  It was a beautiful sunny day so they opened things up and it was delightful!

The Restaurant was always open on sea days on our TAs and I never saw the windows open, but then again only ate lunch there once or twice 

11 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

The Restaurant was always open on sea days on our TAs and I never saw the windows open, but then again only ate lunch there once or twice 

Agree. Never saw the windows open in the Restaurant but have had all the accordion style windows/doors fully opened in the World Cafe (Cuba Cruise).  It was like dining al fresco inside the World Cafe. That was the only cruise we experienced that. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 6:12 AM, PasadenaDave said:

Having grown up in Maine, other than Lobster Bisque, I don’t eat lobster south of Cape Cod or more than 25 miles west of I-95.

I agree. I am in Scotland and cold water lobster are the best. They are bigger, have more meat on them and they are slightly sweeter. That said, I don’t understand the fascination with lobster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2021 at 1:12 AM, PasadenaDave said:

Having grown up in Maine, other than Lobster Bisque, I don’t eat lobster south of Cape Cod or more than 25 miles west of I-95.

Having grown up in Miami, diving and catching our own lobster, I had never had a Maine lobster until I went to Maine!  We used to call them "mutant crabs" because they had claws.  🤪  But after visiting several lobster pounds in Maine, I can now say that your mutant crab Maine lobsters are delicious too! 🤤   And the New Zealand "Cray" are yummy too!   Let's be honest, I'll eat pretty much any lobster you put in front of me! 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/21/2021 at 4:54 PM, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t believe The Restaurant is open on port days.  That leaves the World Cafe, the Pool Grill and Mamsen’s. None of them offer full table service, or didn’t in the before times.  I think I read somewhere that you now order your food at the grill and it is delivered to your table. In the past you waited for it.

Mamsen’s would be the closest to table service IMHO. You order what you want, if it’s a cold dish it is handed to you.  But hot dishes are delivered to you at your table. 

Favorite Viking Dishes

Breakfast:

Grilled lamb chops-The Restaurant

Raisin Pistachio Bun-The Living Room

Waffle-Mamsen’s

Potatoes Lyonaise-The World Cafe

I love that you included grilled lamb chops for breakfast.

It's amazing Viking offers it.  

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 7:17 AM, Clay Clayton said:

I don’t think you can get the lobster anytime. On our recent cruises it has been replaced with Lobster Thermador which some like more but for my husband (Lobster isn’t really my thing-give me a Chesapeake bay blue crab any day) is overkill and he says overwhelms the flavor of a good lobster. When his Mom sailed with us, she was disappointed when we didn’t see the whole split lobster on the menu. We mentioned it to the Restaurant Manager. He came up to us later and said Chef had found one for her, what night would we like it. So the next evening, she was very pleased!  I will say we were seated at the very back of the restaurant and no one around us.  So I do think they weren’t prepared to serve anymore. 

We also enjoyed the British menu in the Chef’s Table. I keep hoping for the Sweet and Salty but so far haven’t been lucky to have it while aboard. We haven’t had a bad menu there, just ones we like better than others. 

F77622D7-4EB6-46C3-B113-CB6785DD51E4.jpeg

AE3E7C5D-C25B-4F20-91CB-BD67AE7065CA.jpeg

Those are some strange looking claws on that lobster.

20 minutes ago, hutch1994 said:

Those are some strange looking claws on that lobster.

Actually think that is a large langoustine.  They have those long thin type claws instead of the shorter, fatter ones that are found on lobsters.

3 hours ago, hutch1994 said:

Definitely spiny lobsters.  Prefer cold water types with claws.

Those look more like 'bugs' (in Australian terminology) or squat lobster. They and spineys are a type of crab related to hermit crab, not true lobsters. 

Much better than lobster though, lobster is just a glorified prawn

On Greek Odyssey December 2021, 1 night MDR had braised lamb shank (slowly--the right way). Absolutely the best one ever!  So tender, falling off the bone, perfectly spiced, and a huge one--hind quarter. (Don't remember if it was on the "destination focused" part of menu at top).  Mouth is watering just thinking about it ! So very satisfying.