LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

31 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Just got an email from Viking for the June 26 cruisers with a checklist of what we should be doing and bringing with us.  It includes the following:

Travel Document Preparation

• Valid Passport (Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your planned trip dates.)
  • Confirmation of pre-registration for visiting Iceland – Either print your barcode or have the email confirmation available to click the link and show upon arrival to Iceland.
  • Proof of FDA/WHO approved COVID-19 vaccine
  • Cruise Itinerary (Viking Journey Summary emailed to you by Viking) – to verify your "Address in Iceland"

Tip: While digital documents on your phone are accepted, they will slow your clearance through the checkpoints in the Iceland arrival terminal, so we suggest printing your documentation and having it available throughout your journey.

what it the “Cruise Itinerary” they say they emailed us?  I don’t seem to have such an email or summary.  I have the printout of the calendar from MVJ, but that’s all.

Found it!  In final E-docs.  Duh!

30 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Just got an email from Viking for the June 26 cruisers with a checklist of what we should be doing and bringing with us.  It includes the following:

• Valid Passport (Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your planned trip dates.)
  • Confirmation of pre-registration for visiting Iceland – Either print your barcode or have the email confirmation available to click the link and show upon arrival to Iceland.
  • Cruise Itinerary (Viking Journey Summary emailed to you by Viking) – to verify your "Address in Iceland"

Tip: While digital documents on your phone are accepted, they will slow your clearance through the checkpoints in the Iceland arrival terminal, so we suggest printing your documentation and having it available throughout your journey.

what it the “Cruise Itinerary” they say they emailed us?  I don’t seem to have such an email or summary.  I have the printout of the calendar from MVJ, but that’s all.

The Cruise Itinerary is p. 4 of the multipage Summary, one of the attachments Viking recently emailed with all of your Cruise documents.

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Check your Viking room

reservation.  On the bottom of that it has your cruise itinerary.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2782206-viking-jupiter-august-31-september-7-iceland’s-natural-beauty/?tab=comments#comment-61169270

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Where do I find the roll call, if there is one for Jupiter on August 31?  I noticed someone posted about a roll call for their cruise.

From here, scroll up to "Home" on left hand side of page, near red Covid banner.. Click Home, then find/click section for Roll Calls, then Viking Ocean Roll Calls, then Jupiter,  then August 31.  If there's no Roll Call listed for that date, you can start one.  If there IS one, read away, post a hello, check the "Follow topic" button, and you're set.   I think there's a slightly shorter way to navigate, too, but either way will do.

Edit:

Or see if this link will work:

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2782206-viking-jupiter-august-31-september-7-iceland%E2%80%99s-natural-beauty/?tab=comments#comment-61169270

5 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Where do I find the roll call, if there is one for Jupiter on August 31?  I noticed someone posted about a roll call for their cruise.

Oops.  Ruth and I were typing at the same but she posted first.

But I can add that there are roll calls for all of the sailing.

Edited by Peregrina651

On 6/21/2021 at 2:47 PM, DaveSJ711 said:

There are several ATMs in the arrival hall. You really don’t need any cash money, though — just about every business accepts Visa and/or MC. (I withdrew about $130 in krona upon arrival 8 days ago, and I still have $15 left.)

We were last in Iceland  5 days a few years ago.... Didn't do any money exchange. We did all private tours and the only tipping in Iceland is traditionally tour guides. Asked the tour guide the first day  about currency for tipping and $ and Euros are acceptable. 

Only worries were paid toilets. Our guides always knew which stops would be a problem and they had change if needed. You can use credit cards at some toilets at most of the tourist sites  and some give you barcode pass if you made a gift shop purchase. No problems... we did take a few public buses but I don't remember if we bought tickets in the bus terminal or used our credit card on the bus. When we checked our credit card statements we had a few charges under 25 cents

Just make sure your credit card has the latest technology and no international surcharges.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, azdrydock said:

We were last in Iceland  5 days a few years ago.... Didn't do any money exchange. We did all private tours and the only tipping in Iceland is traditionally tour guides. Asked the tour guide the first day  about currency for tipping and $ and Euros are acceptable. 

Only worries were paid toilets. Our guides always knew which stops would be a problem and they had change if needed. You can use credit cards at some toilets at most of the tourist sites  and some give you barcode pass if you made a gift shop purchase. No problems... we did take a few public buses but I don't remember if we bought tickets in the bus terminal or used our credit card on the bus. When we checked our credit card statements we had a few charges under 25 cents

Just make sure your credit card has the latest technology and no international surcharges.

Perhaps nobody will want to take the bus in Reykjavik, but if so, I've read you can download the app.  I'd do this at home and then charge (Visa or MC, equivalent to around $4 USD) and then activate the ticket right when the bus comes.  The bus company is Straeto.is.

When we were in Golden Circle's Thingvellir in 2017, there was a charge (gate) for using toilets there.  But I don't remember if it was coins only (think so) or not.  We saw one person jump over the gate.  If you're on a guided tour, I suppose the guide would be willing to give you some coins....

15 hours ago, Gigilovestotravel said:

Thank you for this Live stream and all the helpful advice. We'll arrive this Saturday morning, ready to start the first travel adventure of 2021! Looking forward to meeting some of you about 5ish in the Explorers Lounge. Packed raincoat and waterproof sox, here I come!

Yayyy!! Have fun and safe travels!! We're right behind ya's on July 3rd.🥳

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

What confirmation? What barcode?

3 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

What confirmation? What barcode?

When you complete your pre registration within 72 hours of heading to Iceland you will get a barcode that you will need. If there are two of you I believe you both need to register. 

Here is the link:

https://visit.covid.is/

As many have said, things are constantly changing, so we are each responsible for knowing what is required for our cruises as what's in play today may not be tomorrow and vice versa. I would not rely on CC as your official source of information. Follow what Viking, your airline and the official Iceland site says.

Diana

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 5:47 PM, DaveSJ711 said:

There are several ATMs in the arrival hall. You really don’t need any cash money, though — just about every business accepts Visa and/or MC. (I withdrew about $130 in krona upon arrival 8 days ago, and I still have $15 left.)

DaveSJ711. You have been all around the island.  Do the public restrooms require a coin or payment to use?

We do not sail to August 17 and have yet to receive any info on Excursions.  For those who are going sooner, when were you able to sign up for Excursions?  Has anyone found out if private excursions are allowed or if you can get off the ship without going on a Viking Excursion?

On 6/22/2021 at 6:24 AM, LindaS272 said:

I wouldn’t risk getting busted in Iceland. You will probably have to declare it and I’m sure there are strict limits. I note however that a poster here says if you buy in duty free at KEF on the way in you are not allowed to consume it in Iceland! So damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Good luck!

Well that is interesting.  We bought Brenivin at KEF, stayed one night in Iceland and continued on to Bergen the next morning.  No one told us we couldn't drink it at our hotel.  Was planning to purchase it again on the way in so i could put it into checked luggage on the way home.

8 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Well that is interesting.  We bought Brenivin at KEF, stayed one night in Iceland and continued on to Bergen the next morning.  No one told us we couldn't drink it at our hotel.  Was planning to purchase it again on the way in so i could put it into checked luggage on the way home.

We were also told that the seal couldn't be broken on a purchase if we were entering Iceland... so we waited until we departed.

24 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

We do not sail to August 17 and have yet to receive any info on Excursions.  For those who are going sooner, when were you able to sign up for Excursions?  Has anyone found out if private excursions are allowed or if you can get off the ship without going on a Viking Excursion?

Our excursions were up 44 days before cruise.

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

DaveSJ711. You have been all around the island.  Do the public restrooms require a coin or payment to use?

No. We haven’t seen any along the Ring Road. The facilities at petrol stations — especially the ubiquitous N1 stations — are very clean, free, and accommodating. Same for restrooms at cafes and restaurants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wander58 said:

We do not sail to August 17 and have yet to receive any info on Excursions.  For those who are going sooner, when were you able to sign up for Excursions? 

We’re on the August 14th sailing and have not been  offered excursions yet.

We're on Jupiter August 3.  Our shore excursion reservation period opened June 11.   Sounds like yours will open soon.  Check MVJ frequently, and/or look for an email about it.  Our email came the day before through the TA, announcing the opening the next day at noon EST.  Assume you know the other stuff, such as possible need to cancel another excursion/event if there's a conflict for a chosen excursion time?  And assume you know that you might want to book and pay for your most-wanted excursions before doing the rest?

2 hours ago, MarkTapley said:

For those who are going sooner, when were you able to sign up for Excursions? 

We are travelling on the 7th August trip. We received an email from Viking on the 16th June telling us Booking were open from 5 pm that day.  We could only book the included excursions on that day. In the UK we had to call Viking to book the other excursions offered. The Viking Office closes at 5 pm in the UK so we  booked first thing, 9 am, the next day. Those of you on the 14th August cruises should hear today. Watch your emails.

I am going to make a request here.  So many of these posts really belong in the Iceland general thread, or on your roll call thread.  Peregrina started this thread to be a thread for LIVE reports from people already in Iceland or 2-3 days before going. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but this thread is getting much too big, too general, and we now actually have people in Iceland, en route or arriving tomorrow.  I can’t wait to hear from them.  But there is just too much to comb through here.  If others disagree, OK, I’ll back off.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

I am going to make a request here.  So many of these posts really belong in the Iceland general thread, or on your roll call thread.  Peregrina started this thread to be a thread for LIVE reports from people already in Iceland or 2-3 days before going. I don’t mean to offend anyone, but this thread is getting much too big, too general, and we now actually have people in Iceland, en route or arriving tomorrow.  I can’t wait to hear from them.  But there is just too much to comb through here.  If others disagree, OK, I’ll back off.

Totally agree!  Live from Iceland reports here please 😎

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Sounds good to me.  I think some of us are just waiting for the live posters to post, so we're going a little off course!  I may post a picture of a pay restroom in Iceland because someone asked about them and I don't remember whether it was here or "there."  But if so, after that I'll back off and wait for the good stuff!. 

• Like 1