Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

I just went to the app store to try downloading the new version. The user rating average has improved from 1.6 to 1.7!  And it has an M 17+ rating now! What did they add???!

Oh, I can now log in, but can't see much since I have nothing booked 😭

• Haha 1

I continue to find this whole subject hilarious.  We are paying thousands and thousands of dollars to a cruise line who insists we do it their way but is unable to give us a clear path to getting it done.  Absolutely insane, I've never seen anything like this BS with Princess and their crazy technology.  I'll give it one last shot the week before we sail, then I'm DONE.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I continue to find this whole subject hilarious.  We are paying thousands and thousands of dollars to a cruise line who insists we do it their way but is unable to give us a clear path to getting it done.  Absolutely insane, I've never seen anything like this BS with Princess and their crazy technology.  I'll give it one last shot the week before we sail, then I'm DONE.  

Any time things are run by marketing you can expect a plethora of fabulous promises that won't be fulfilled. Since the president of Princess Cruise Lines appears to be pretty much nothing more than a marketing flak the result is what you see today.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, jsn55 said:

My attitude is that NOTHING I did online toward my booking will "be there" when I check in at the pier, so I always have a printed copy of cruise related items that are less than about 10 pages. This includes things like airline and ship boarding passes, hotel confirmations, ground transportation confirmations, luggage tags, etc. In addition, I have an electronic (JPG or PDF) copy of those plus any document that is larger than 10 pages, which is usually my notes on the cruise and our insurance papers, along with military ID, Medicare Card, drivers license, passports, shot cards and the like. I keep those JPG and PDF files on my tablet and my phone. I have seen enough people at the airline boarding gate fiddling with the brightness of their phone's boarding pass to always have my own paper copy! I don't want to slow down the line.

FWIW, Princess is not alone in their push to get everyone to use those flaky phone apps. Our last two Celebrity cruises had their own app burps and stumbles. Thank goodness most of the "check in" documents we need, like copies of the passports, were uploaded years ago on my PC and I don't need to spend time trying to figure out how to do that with a stupid phone!😉

Doug

• Like 4

Was notified by (Android) Google Play apps that there was a new update for the Princess app.  Updated and.........nothing.  Clicking on the app only shows the logo.  Left it on for 10 minutes, came back - logo.  Rebooted the phone - logo only.  Sigh.  Fortunately our Medallions are on their way and I've printed out the summary for our 12/3 Sky cruise.  Good to go.  Not worth fussing with the app until we get on the ship.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kcl491 said:

Was notified by (Android) Google Play apps that there was a new update for the Princess app.  Updated and.........nothing.  Clicking on the app only shows the logo.  Left it on for 10 minutes, came back - logo.  Rebooted the phone - logo only.  Sigh.  Fortunately our Medallions are on their way and I've printed out the summary for our 12/3 Sky cruise.  Good to go.  Not worth fussing with the app until we get on the ship.

Updated yesterday with no issues. Of course my dining reservations are missing and the selected dining room isn't even shown as available... In true Princess IT fashion all of the dining reservations still show in the online version. 🤪

• Like 1

Messaging friends does not work. Ordering food does not work. Just off The Royal.. just give me a cruise card and stop this nonsense.  They are also now charging elites for internet. I turned off the phone and declined. No final statement when we left the ship

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Messaging friends does not work. Ordering food does not work. Just off The Royal.. just give me a cruise card and stop this nonsense.  They are also now charging elites for internet. I turned off the phone and declined. No final statement when we left the ship

If you want a cruise card, just ask and they will give you one.

The statement is available at all times while on the ship in the app. No internet needed, just connect to the wifi. Works even if you have a cruise card as it is through the app, not the medallion.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

They have self-service machine you tap Medallion at and can review or print account.  They are emailing accounts post-cruise instead of printing paper now.

Not much point in covering Internet benefit as that has been beat to death when it first was announced long ago.  I will just say that I much prefer paying 50% for unlimited service, but doesn't suit all folks.  Things have changed and we either accept it or see if grass is any greener over the fence.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oskidunker said:

You are right. We booked our next two cruises on Viking andOceania. 

If you haven't been on a Viking cruise, I think you're in for a treat.  Nothing's perfect, but we did a wonderful Viking river cruise earlier this year and now, looking at where Princess has gone is not a pretty sight.

I think that's the only way they'll eventually get the hint that they took a wrong turn, by customers choosing other options, of which there are plenty.  We have a group of 13 going on a Princess Mexico cruise soon, and it's been nothing but hassles with the medallion app, pre-cruise processes, and poor website information. Now today I get an email that we're supposed to get excited about the "Love Boat Piazza Party", a night of "romance and celebration" where we're supposed to come "dressed to impress" in white and gold (on the formal night).

Gag.  Yeah, I want to have to pack TWO suits instead of only one...

This is supposedly celebrating their new "Love Boat" reality show, a show that has a 3.8/10 rating at IMDB, of which the selected review starts with "another brainless reality show..."

I'm trying to cut Princess some slack, since we did have some nice cruises with them in 2019 and earlier, but it's getting harder and harder...while I'm sure we'll have an OK time on the cruise, I really doubt we'll be returning.  It sounds to  me like the new head of Princess, who is in love with the Medallion people, is trying to revamp things without a clue that the "Love Boat" was not real, it was a scripted TV show.  And, most of the faithful Princess cruisers we've seen on our cruises weren't anything like the Love Boat cast...so what is he thinking? 

We have two future cruises coming up so far, and they aren't on Princess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, West Coast Gal said:

We just got new phones, and already have done everything on our old phones to check in for our upcoming cruise.  Are we going to lose everything with our new phones, it is the same phone number?

The data is stored on the servers at Princess. Your phone is just a display device. On the internet, the phone number is not used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Flyinby said:

If you haven't been on a Viking cruise, I think you're in for a treat.  Nothing's perfect, but we did a wonderful Viking river cruise earlier this year and now, looking at where Princess has gone is not a pretty sight.

I think that's the only way they'll eventually get the hint that they took a wrong turn, by customers choosing other options, of which there are plenty.  We have a group of 13 going on a Princess Mexico cruise soon, and it's been nothing but hassles with the medallion app, pre-cruise processes, and poor website information. Now today I get an email that we're supposed to get excited about the "Love Boat Piazza Party", a night of "romance and celebration" where we're supposed to come "dressed to impress" in white and gold (on the formal night).

This is supposedly celebrating their new "Love Boat" reality show, a show that has a 3.8/10 rating at IMDB, of which the selected review starts with "another brainless reality show..."

I'm trying to cut Princess some slack, since we did have some nice cruises with them in 2019 and earlier, but it's getting harder and harder...while I'm sure we'll have an OK time on the cruise, I really doubt we'll be returning.  It sounds to  me like the new head of Princess, who is in love with the Medallion people, is trying to revamp things without a clue that the "Love Boat" was not real, it was a scripted TV show.  And, most of the faithful Princess cruisers we've seen on our cruises weren't anything like the Love Boat cast...so what is he thinking? 

Viking is nice but very expensive.

Ignore the app. Just show up with your documents.

The Love Boat show was cancelled after four episodes. Bad idea.

White and gold is a joke. We were told we would have a christmas breakfast where we should wear our christmas PJs. They do not want to see mine. Bad idea.

I do not have to pack an extra suit for White and Gold as I never bring a suit or a coat.

John Padgett came up with the medallion (his name is on the patent even though he did no work)

and got promoted. Bad idea.

But we had a wonderful time on our cruises this year and are going on another this week. Princess is our go to cruise for relaxation and (occasionally) the itineraries. When there are places Princess does not go (like Egypt and India) we have to go on another line. They are fine too.

• Like 1

I would like to select my sons profile and add in all of his food allergies (he is 7 so does not have his own phone etc) 

How do I change the app to allow me to input data as him? 

Do I need to create a seperate app account for him?
I have been able to add his travel documentation etc, security photo and so forth but cannot see how to select him to add his preferences.

I have sent a formal list of his allergens to Princess but I would like them on the app.

Any help would be great - thank you

11 hours ago, Flyinby said:

Yes, first Viking  cruise. Had 25 on Princess. Last two cruises were on Oceania and Celebrity. Both great. Viking 13 day Costa about  $5200 pp for balcony.  4day princess was About $800 pp.  for mini suite so times 4 wound be $3200. Its worth it for us. Oceania was fantastic. I would rather go less and have a  better experience. Princess is looking for younger people. We are in our 70’s and not the demographic they want. 

Also I would not worry about dressing up. No one dressed in anything but T shirts on our cruise. They sprung a formal night at the last minute but the dress did not change. The ugliest, oldest T shirts they could find were the norm.

Edited by oskidunker

4 hours ago, Essence08 said:

I would like to select my sons profile and add in all of his food allergies (he is 7 so does not have his own phone etc) 

How do I change the app to allow me to input data as him? 

Do I need to create a seperate app account for him?
I have been able to add his travel documentation etc, security photo and so forth but cannot see how to select him to add his preferences.

I have sent a formal list of his allergens to Princess but I would like them on the app.

Any help would be great - thank you

All people on your booking should be accessible on the app. If he is on the same booking you will have entered a photo and details for him. I see both my wife and myself and just tap on one or the other to select and fill in the information. My wife does not even have the app on her phone as it is not much use with the phone locked in the safe.

On 11/28/2022 at 7:12 AM, oskidunker said:

Yes, first Viking  cruise. Had 25 on Princess. Last two cruises were on Oceania and Celebrity. Both great. Viking 13 day Costa about  $5200 pp for balcony.  4day princess was About $800 pp.  for mini suite so times 4 wound be $3200. Its worth it for us. Oceania was fantastic. I would rather go less and have a  better experience. Princess is looking for younger people. We are in our 70’s and not the demographic they want. 

Also I would not worry about dressing up. No one dressed in anything but T shirts on our cruise. They sprung a formal night at the last minute but the dress did not change. The ugliest, oldest T shirts they could find were the norm.

That's interesting about the dressing up.  On earlier (2000-2010) Carnival and Princess cruises it was pretty strictly "enforced".  Not sure about later, we've tended to skip it and eat elsewhere rather than go to the trouble, but some folks do seem to enjoy it.

I agree that it's better to shop for a better experience, even if it does mean fewer of them.  But it's nice to have choices that suit everybody.  While our previous Princess cruises have been very enjoyable, the changes they seem to be making aren't exactly making me eager for more after this one.  Even the "dress to impress, white and gold piazza party" isn't doing it...8^).

I've seen some Oceania cruises that look pretty tempting, we'll no doubt be giving them a try also, but our schedule is pretty full for a while.

Whew! Ten calls to tech support, I’m finally in the green zone! Apparently there was a huge glitch and IT working round the clock got it fixed. Im unsure if everything is fixed for everyone, but we are good to go Wednesday! Yes, it just got fixed yesterday! Deep breaths and still printing everything out. 

• Like 1