Carry on Luggage

jamesnnb

Not exactly 'ship' related (but most of us fly to the port and bring a carry on), but has anyone noticed some airlines have reduced the size allowed for carry on bags?  Our bags are just about an inch 'too large'.  I know airlines are cracking down but it seems a shame that you cannot use already purchased carry on bags that were once 'acceptable'.  Has anyone had their bag rejected as a carry on -- one that was once acceptable?

YES!  We usually fly American but on one trip we ended up with Delta and their bag sizer rejected my bag.  It was an older carry-on that had an expandable zipper so we quickly rearranged some items and squeezed it to its smaller setting.  We were planning on getting new luggage anyways so that was Turtle’s last trip.  I love my new hard shell suitcase; I can do a 7-day with that bag and an extra-large purse!

• Like 1

My carryon  with wheels, appears to be half the size of a normal carry on. It can fit under the seat on the plane or  put in over head. There is a zipper , that once unzips, the bag expands to the usual larger size if I need it. If my luggage gains weight before heading home , I put the excess stuff in the expanded carry on.

Wow!! I'm totally impressed that you can pack that light. I'm thinking about either trying to pack in someone's rolling backpack (17" suitcase size) for my next 1 week cruise or just checking luggage. BUT I would have bought a 19" carry on if I had to do it over. The 21" (23" with wheels) is the right size for multiple weeks so it's still useful. 

Edited by Ombud

Neverbeenhere:  Alaska Air changed to "22x14x9" (including wheels and handles).  It use to be a tad larger but I don't believe they rearranged the overhead compartments, but maybe they did.  I'm sure many people were bring larger carry on bags and it wasn't leaving room for others so they probably had to clamp down.  It's just hard when you buy a new bag advertised as 'carry on' but find some airline(s) won't accept it.  Got to pay attention to the dimensions before purchase 🙂

• Like 1

Just to chime in on luggage. I am using a very old bag that is larger than most of the new ones - haven't been told too big yet, but know it's borderline. I knew it needs to be replaced when I asked my DH to pound the dent out of the side from my last trip. What bothers me about the majority of new bags is that the wheels are "all alone" at the bottom and take up several inches of space that could be used for packing. The only bags I have found that work around the wheels are quite expensive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Asquare said:

YES!  We usually fly American but on one trip we ended up with Delta and their bag sizer rejected my bag.  It was an older carry-on that had an expandable zipper so we quickly rearranged some items and squeezed it to its smaller setting. 

Was this after the major USA airlines recently reduced the allowed size of the carry-ons to 22 x 14 x 9 in inches (including wheels). (Southwest still allows 24 x 16 x 10 in.)

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Was this after the major USA airlines recently reduced the allowed size of the carry-ons to 22 x 14 x 9 in inches (including wheels). (Southwest still allows 24 x 16 x 10 in.)

It was fall of 2019.  I figured it was just a Delta thing.  

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Usually when you get to the gate, they ask for volunteers to check the bag with no charge. Then you don't have to worry about the size, and still doesn't cost anything extra.

one time Delta MADE us check in our backpacks. Standard student backpacks... They said they didn't have any space left in overhead compartments. I actually cried, because all of our medications and electronics for the cruise were in our backpacks - only the emergency items we couldn't cruise without if they got lost. The Delta agent then menacingly asked if I wanted to be taken off the flight, even though I wasn't even confrontational, just crying.  After we sat in our seats, quite a few people walked in after us rolling standard carry-on suitcases... The irony of it all.

Another time Delta made us repack 2 suitcases, one of which was 49# and the other - 51". They made make them both 50#.

Other than that, we've never had problems with the luggage size. Once Spirit even let a 42# suitcase slide. They only allow a personal item as free carry-on, and they never had a problem with our backpack  or woven shopping bag sizes.

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

Usually when you get to the gate, they ask for volunteers to check the bag with no charge. Then you don't have to worry about the size, and still doesn't cost anything extra.

For me it isn't just the cost, it's also how they handle luggage and the ease of getting off plane and onto train without stopping for luggage downstairs .... then carrying it upstairs to leave.  I do check overseas and I guess domestically now too.  Plus its easier to handle smaller cases on Bart / metros / only use uber if flight is delayed causing me to get back after last bart

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, deliver42 said:

They only ask for volunteers for this if there is not enough overhead space for all the anticipated cases. If they think there is enough space, then size may matter.

When they ask for volunteers to check their carry on luggage I always jump at the chance. My meds and such are in a very small day pack that I still keep with me so it's all good. I always worry that they will change things so our carry on bags will no longer qualify. Why can't there be a uniform size for all airlines? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thrak said:

Why can't there be a uniform size for all airlines? 

Because some airlines try to force you to check bags for a fee while others welcome normal carryon sized luggage in the overhead compartments.

• Like 1

We only travel with carry on. One week or nine weeks.

Our carry on rollers are international size.  That is about 1" less that the NA standard.  We do a lot of travel on Asian and European regional airlines.

The second limitation is weight.  Many of these carriers have a strict weight limit of 8KG.  And it is enforced.   Some even less.

These differences, in our experience make a huge difference in the boarding process.  It is much faster on these airlines than it is on NA airlines.   Partly because many  NA airlines seldom seem to enforce even their most generous carry on allowances.  

On one regional airline that we fly the carrier actually charges customers more to carry on bags over a certain weight than they would charge to check them.  

We started going carry on only when we retired,  We get free bags on the airlines that we use in NA or International.   Baggage fees are the last reason we do carry on.  

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 8:50 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

one time Delta MADE us check in our backpacks. Standard student backpacks... They said they didn't have any space left in overhead compartments. I actually cried, because all of our medications and electronics for the cruise were in our backpacks - only the emergency items we couldn't cruise without if they got lost. The Delta agent then menacingly asked if I wanted to be taken off the flight, even though I wasn't even confrontational, just crying.  After we sat in our seats, quite a few people walked in after us rolling standard carry-on suitcases... The irony of it all.

Another time Delta made us repack 2 suitcases, one of which was 49# and the other - 51". They made make them both 50#.

Other than that, we've never had problems with the luggage size. Once Spirit even let a 42# suitcase slide. They only allow a personal item as free carry-on, and they never had a problem with our backpack  or woven shopping bag sizes.

Seems they could have allowed you to stow your backpack under the seat in front of you. I often do this so that I have easy access to my things.