Staycation.. What if UK regulations change whilst on board?

Hobscheshire

Hi. We're looking at the 18-22 July Staycation cruise on Britannia. We want to wear masks in public places as required, but with rumours that UK regulations may change to say masks will only be voluntary from 19 July, does anyone know if P&O will then change their regulations part way through the cruise? We would rather not go if suddenly they can't enforce the mask wearing (that's just our personal preference). Online P&O have been quite specific that the double vaccination policy is until a certain date, but it looks like the mask wearing could be subject to change. Any ideas? Thanks. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Hobscheshire said:

Hi. We're looking at the 18-22 July Staycation cruise on Britannia. We want to wear masks in public places as required, but with rumours that UK regulations may change to say masks will only be voluntary from 19 July, does anyone know if P&O will then change their regulations part way through the cruise? We would rather not go if suddenly they can't enforce the mask wearing (that's just our personal preference). Online P&O have been quite specific that the double vaccination policy is until a certain date, but it looks like the mask wearing could be subject to change. Any ideas? Thanks. 

I can’t answer your question, but I wanted to post as I completely understand and appreciate your concerns.

I sailed last week and had picked the cruise because I was very happy with the rules P&O have in place.  As I knew that would make me feel as comfortable as I could be. 

The rules re masks may change, but I just want to say I am risk adverse, but I felt so comfortable with the way P&O had things set up I felt completely safe and I think even I would have been happy to remove my mask in the theatre if it were allowed. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I can’t answer your question, but I wanted to post as I completely understand and appreciate your concerns.

I sailed last week and had picked the cruise because I was very happy with the rules P&O have in place.  As I knew that would make me feel as comfortable as I could be. 

The rules re masks may change, but I just want to say I am risk adverse, but I felt so comfortable with the way P&O had things set up I felt completely safe and I think even I would have been happy to remove my mask in the theatre if it were allowed. 

Pink-belle thanks for reassurance, I was also thinking similar to the OP. We are on the same cruise leaving the 18th July, but are also on Cunard on 30th July. When we booked these the conditions were only 1k passengers on board and the published safety protocols which is masks to be worn in all public areas unless seated. I think they would hopefully keep the mask rule, the publicity of a mass infection of passengers would not down to well. 

• Like 3

We are hoping that by the time we are due to cruise in October that the mandatory wearing of face coverings has been ditched. If some passengers want to still wear them I am ok with that, but personally We would like to see the back of them.

• Like 9

Given that most masks essentially protect other people, rather than the wearer, I’d be surprised if P&O ditch the requirement. Their ship, their rules, basically.

Might attract some additional customers, but might equally well put off even more.

The very last thing P&O need is an outbreak, bearing in mind that vaccine protection is nowhere near 100%, and since masks make that less likely I’d be surprised if they changed things.

• Like 5

I stopped work in December 2014, and since that time I have had three colds. 

All of these colds were caught on cruise ships.

That reinforces my perception that cruise ships are closed communities which makes it easy for viruses to spread.

I am sure P&O know this, and it’s in their best interests to continue to be ultra cautious. So I tend to think they will continue with current protocols, regardless of what is happening shoreside.

However, no one knows yet, so we’ll just have to wait and see. 

• Like 3

Their ship, their rules. We will obviously follow whatever the rules are on our October cruise.

By that time, hiwever, if the news reports are to be believed, mask wearing will no longer be required in theatres, cinemas, shops etc, and social distancing will be no more, in the UK.  Still having to wear masks and not being allowed to mix socially when you are on a cruise ship will probably deter many potential cruisers.  

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Their ship, their rules. We will obviously follow whatever the rules are on our October cruise.

By that time, hiwever, if the news reports are to be believed, mask wearing will no longer be required in theatres, cinemas, shops etc, and social distancing will be no more, in the UK.  Still having to wear masks and not being allowed to mix socially when you are on a cruise ship will probably deter many potential cruisers.  

As wearing a mask was always primarily to protect the people round us, other potential cruisers will be encouraged to book if this small courtesy is still observed. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, wowzz said:

We have 2 staycation cruises booked,first one on 25th July, so after freedom Day. I guess we will still socially distance where we can, but not too bothered about masks. As always we will listen to the highly qualified experts and follow their guidance. Time is coming to decide for ourselves what risks we are prepared to take to enjoy our holidays.

Edited by zap99
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We have 2 staycation cruises booked,first one on 25th July, so after freedom Day. I guess we will still socially distance where we can, but not too bothered about masks. As always we will listen to the highly qualified experts and follow their guidance. Time is coming to decide for ourselves what risks we are prepared to take to enjoy our holidays.

Agreed. If the experts say masks are no longer needed, I will follow their advice, as I have done for the last 15 months.

• Like 2

Even when the gov make mask wearing optional (personal view a barking decision with rates so high) still think many people will still wear them. Gov has mentioned the mental strain of lockdown rules but have forgotten to mention people will also struggle by suddenly having unmasked people right next to them. 

Again like everything its your own personal choice. And what ever makes you feel safe. I feel people may subconsciously keep distance and hopefully respect those who decide to keep a mask on.

And as been said last thing the cruise lines want is covid outbreak so masks may go but pre testing will stay IMO

• Like 9

1 minute ago, costalota said:

Thing is if you are not comfortable about the change of protocols and cancel you would loose your money if you have paid, they pushed the seacations with reassurance of saftey

But if it becomes protocol that after 19th July wearing of masks will be optional unless any cruise line doing Staycations/Seacations makes it a rule that you wear masks. If they dont so it is optional and personal choice you will then have the option of going ahead with the cruise and some might not wear masks but if you cancel you will lose your money and be unable to claim off insurance. I have no problem with not wearing a mask if everyone onboard has been double vaccinated because  with over 90% success in preventing catching covid and will never be 100% effective, as no vaccination is, then when do you stop wearing masks are you going to wear them for the rest of your lives because covid is never going to go away.

• Like 4

With reference to covid and future cruises it will be interesting to see how many will keep up personal hygiene standards of washing hands regularly and after visits to the toilet. Over the years seen so many men visiting the toilets and leaving and not washing hands and if buffets ever return to their past normal seen so many handling food and returning to the trays especially afternoon tea with sandwiches and cakes.

• Like 3

I believe that P&O and other cruise lines will continue to abide with whatever rules and advice the government issue, but will amend their practices to reflect changes in it. In particular, if they rule that face masks and social distancing are no longer required P&O will follow suit unless special provisions to the contrary remain for ocean cruises. As a solo passenger for whom social interaction with my fellow passengers is an important part of cruising, I would welcome such a change and am quite prepared to accept the extra risk involved as the price of a return to normality. Covid in not going to go away and sooner or later we have got to get used to living with it.

• Like 5

Well the way I see it is a package is sold with restrictions ( which are still on the website) to get some coffers in the till, then ease those restrictions after desposits/full price paid.The word Duty of care to staff and customers come to mind, some people look after vulnerable people, have a job/buissiness where you interact with people, if the new gov advice is personal responsibility, why should you then penalised for cancelling a cruise, 

We have just returned from Britannia today.

I spoke to the Manager of the future cruise sales and specifically asked him that question, whether they would follow the Governments rulings from the 19th.   His answer was no, they follow the maritime protocols and as such facemasks and social distancing would be in place for the staycations .  We heard that 90% of the crew had had their 1st vaccination and would be having their second jab between mid July and mid August and were tested weekly.

We asked because the cruise experience is very very different .  Masks at times indoors, one way systems to walk, no talking in the lifts, maximum of 4 people in the lifts, prebook restaurants, prebook entertainment. No turndown service or fresh towels at night, I did ask our cabin steward about that and she said they we not doing the freshen up in the evenings.  Didn't see any trollys in the corridors at night.

No wine waiters in the restaurant, your waiter does it all.  What worries me is that these tweaks might become permanent.

We wanted to know if the protocols would change after the 19th as we have a 7 night on Iona on the 21st August booked and the balance of that is due in a couple of weeks.  But after our 3 days on Britannia I'm sorry but I don't want to spend £1800 on a cruise when the experience isn't what we want.  So I'm going to cancel that and book a cruise in 2023 on the flexible transfer option.

The staff as always were fantastic and so happy to be back onboard and it was good to see many regular staff there.  

• Like 8

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t the greatest

i think the loss of wine waiters started pre-Covid.  I hate to sound a Philistine but, personally, I’m happy to order food and wine from one waiter and, in my experience, to be sitting relaxing with a glass of wine rather than looking left, right, ahead and behind to try to attract the attention of a dedicated wine waiter, is a better start to a meal.    I believe there is at least one expert sommelier per dining room,  to whom specific questions can be directed

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m sorry your experience wasn’t the greatest

i think the loss of wine waiters started pre-Covid.  I hate to sound a Philistine but, personally, I’m happy to order food and wine from one waiter and, in my experience, to be sitting relaxing with a glass of wine rather than looking left, right, ahead and behind to try to attract the attention of a dedicated wine waiter, is a better start to a meal.    I believe there is at least one expert sommelier per dining room,  to whom specific questions can be directed

We are off out to a mid range restaurant shortly. One waiter to take the order for food and wine. We don't need a waiter to tell us what, if any wine we want with our meal. We don't need somebody to pour our wine  for us, or to try and keep the glass topped up. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, thornegirl said:

No turndown service or fresh towels at night, I did ask our cabin steward about that and she said they we not doing the freshen up in the evenings.  Didn't see any trollys in the corridors at night.

No wine waiters in the restaurant, your waiter does it all.  What worries me is that these tweaks might become permanent.

Unfortunately, no evening turn down and no wine waiters was already introduced/trialled before covid, so I doubt they will return. 

I expect mask wearing will soon become optional rather than scrapped, I will still be wearing mine but have no issues if the guidelines are loosened and others don't. 

Andy 

• Like 4

Thornegirl, thank you so much for your post, and yes the bean counters will be watching the balance sheet, even more so now Carnival borrowed money from the Saudis, 

Regards to wine waiter's and dinning, to me it's part of the expirence, had some great banter and service from them, No you don't need them to survive on earth but it's part of the enjoyment. How far do we go, order your food and wine on Uber eats, why is everything a rush. We do notice the waiters on say ventura when they change from freedom dining to club dining it takes them a while to adjust 

Thanks all for your responses and some very helpful info. We've now booked for the 18th, we know the experience won't be the same as usual but we're really looking forward to the break.   For those of you who have already been on the Staycation cruise, was there a gala evening? Also I'm sure I saw somewhere that there is free WiFi, is that correct? Thanks very much. 

• Like 1