Help me choose an itinerary

sunshower9

My husband and I typically like beaches and walking around exploring the port.  The only one on this list that I’ve been to is Cozumel.  I don’t know anything about any of the other ports except that Grand Turk is basically a free beach day.  I picked the last two because they’re during my wedding anniversary (they’re also more expensive), but I’m willing to go with the first one if the ports are nicer.  Any input is appreciated!

Mardi Gras - Nov 11-Nov 18 - Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mahogany Bay 

Mardi Gras - May 6-May 13 - San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk

Celebration - May 7-May 14 - Amber Cove, San Juan, St. Thomas

3 minutes ago, sunshower9 said:

My husband and I typically like beaches and walking around exploring the port.  The only one on this list that I’ve been to is Cozumel.  I don’t know anything about any of the other ports except that Grand Turk is basically a free beach day.  I picked the last two because they’re during my wedding anniversary (they’re also more expensive), but I’m willing to go with the first one if the ports are nicer.  Any input is appreciated!

My choice would be #3. St. Thomas/ St. John have beautiful beaches. Old San Juan is fun to roam. Did a resort beach day at Amber Cove. Beach was nice.

12 minutes ago, sunshower9 said:

I would pick 2 for unusual ports.

3 for a new ship

1 the itinerary is same ole same ole. 

• Like 1

I have been to all of these ports at least twice.  I would choose Mardi Gras - May 6-May 13 - San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk.

San Juan is a great port to walk around - none of the contrived Carnival BS shops to wade through, and you dock right in Old San Juan.  Short walk to Mojito Restaurant.  Have an amazing mojito and their fresh catch of the day, both reasonably priced and fantastic.  That fresh fish and fresh mint mojito will put you in a great mood.  Then spend the rest of the day meandering the small streets, shopping and exploring.

Grand Turk has a great free beach that is walking distance from the ship.  Walk to the pier and then make a left so you can walk through all the Carnival BS shops, then walk down the beach about 2 football fields to Jack's Shack.  Once you get close you won't be able to miss the "Jack's Shack" sign.  Great open pit chicken, drinks, free beach volleyball and a much better beach for swimming than the beach right at the pier.

Amber Cove - shop excursions.

I would suggest #3 for walking and exploring the port on your own. San Juan is rich in history and beautiful architecture.  St Thomas is a great port to walk and explore and you can do beach excursion or water related excursions the same day.

After losing Roatan on previous canceled cruises, we booked Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya for April 2022. I love to snorkel. I use to do it all the time growing up on a small reef in our town. Loved it even more in the early 80s camping in St John's on Cinnamon Bay. Unfortunately, life changed directions and haven't done it in 30 years. The reef at West Bay looks incredible as well as in Belize. We plan to snorkel Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel. Costa Maya may just be a port day or find a close beach for massage.

I'd wait until May and celebrate your anniversary on Celebration. The pandemic isn't over yet and variant cases are rising. Just makes more sense to wait a while. November should be fine but I think May will be a lot better.

10 hours ago, sunshower9 said:

The Celebration cruise is in 2023 Are the rest the same year? Anyhoo Id go with San Juan and St T.

10 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I have been to all of these ports at least twice.  I would choose Mardi Gras - May 6-May 13 - San Juan, Amber Cove, Grand Turk.

San Juan is a great port to walk around - none of the contrived Carnival BS shops to wade through, and you dock right in Old San Juan.  Short walk to Mojito Restaurant.  Have an amazing mojito and their fresh catch of the day, both reasonably priced and fantastic.  That fresh fish and fresh mint mojito will put you in a great mood.  Then spend the rest of the day meandering the small streets, shopping and exploring.

Grand Turk has a great free beach that is walking distance from the ship.  Walk to the pier and then make a left so you can walk through all the Carnival BS shops, then walk down the beach about 2 football fields to Jack's Shack.  Once you get close you won't be able to miss the "Jack's Shack" sign.  Great open pit chicken, drinks, free beach volleyball and a much better beach for swimming than the beach right at the pier.

Amber Cove - shop excursions.

Agree with all of this. I would add, in SJ, do a "Rum and Food Tour." There's a couple of them. They take you to a rum tasting and a few places to try some food. Couple hours, lot of fun.

I do a food tour on any trip, really get to know the people and culture

• Like 1

Wow, thanks everyone for the responses!  Looks like I'm going to go with either #2 or #3.  And yes, all of these cruises are in 2023.  This is the earliest I've ever planned a cruise lol.  

Feel free to keep chiming in with your opinions b/c I'm still weighing my options between 2 and 3. 🙂 

11 hours ago, sunshower9 said:

The first one listed is the same one we chose for our upcoming Mardi Gras cruise. Mahogany Bay has a very nice beach. We haven't been to Mahogany Bay or Cozumel for 8 years. Never been to Costa Maya, so that will be a new port for us. San Juan is one of our favorite ports, and we always enjoy a visit to St. Thomas. Amber Cove is just okay, but not really all that great. We're kind of burned out on Grand Turk, since we've been there several times. We've learned to head down to Jack's Shack, just to get away from the obnoxious vendors on the beach nearest Margaritaville. So, based on the itineraries you've listed, I would choose #1 first, #3 second, and skip #2.