Booked, is this deal to good to be true?

dinzitari

So, sort of new to cruise compete. Booked my 3rd cruise with them just recently. Specifically, the EDGE leaving Dec 26 2021. Received a E3 (infinite’s veranda) for me, wife and two young children. Prices was ~$5840, w. Always included (tips, WiFi beverage) and $250 OBC.

Celebrity lists this right now at $8100 (no OBC) and next best on Cruise compete for same cabin was $7150 w/ 700ish OBC. Not were about $7150 w/ $300 OBC on average. Should I be alarmed (TA was an expedia cruises agent), or just ecstatic. I did already book but don’t want to have any surprises on a holiday vacation.

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

Your thread will likely disappear.  Posting Guidelines expressly ban discussion of specific TAs.

Sorry about that, I don’t see a way to edit the post to remove that part.

I sincerely hoped you end up very happy.  Most TAs are reputable.  We had a bad experience the 1 time we used that site which cost us more than the TAs original invoice.  $2300 less than Celebrity and some large TAs are selling that holiday cruise for could be the find of the year.

My advice is to have the TA provide you with a copy of the Celebrity Booking Confirmation-Guest Copy that document confirms exactly what your pricing is, what’s included and whether or not your deposit is refundable or non-refundable.  Some TAs prefer to use their own invoices but I feel more comfortable with the Booking Confirmation particularly with a agent I haven’t used before.

• Like 2

I just checked pricing on  celebrity website.  The price for 2 adults in a E3 with drinks tips & wi-fi is $5866.  That is only $26 more than the TAs price for 2.   When you get the booking confirmation be sure that the 2 children didn’t somehow get dropped from the pricing.

DOUBLE CHECK that it TRULY was an AI booking. 

I have heard some instances where guests were assured by their TA that it WAS AI only to find out it WASN'T.

Our friends booked thru the same TA as you for our upcoming cruise.

Our friend swears he booked 2 rooms & somehow they booked the 4 of them in 1 room...Celebrity isn't allowing 4 adults in a room! Plus a port was dropped which dropped the price $100pp. That TA refused to refund them the $100pp. BUT they were able to move the YA sons to an interior...so same price for 2 rooms (one SV balcony, one interior) so they considered it a win. Took 9 hours on the phone to get that done.

SO....

1--MAKE SURE it is AI (I sure hope it is; the difference in price has me nervous!)

2--If nothing is wrong, have a great time!

Price now $8K for the 4 of you.

PLEASE double check your booking includes all 4.

Also check for AI; it isn't included it sure isn't a deal breaker, especially w/ the children.

WE sure didn't seem to drink as much when we cruised with them!

1 hour ago, jelayne said:

My advice is to have the TA provide you with a copy of the Celebrity Booking Confirmation-Guest Copy that document confirms exactly what your pricing is, what’s included and whether or not your deposit is refundable or non-refundable.  Some TAs prefer to use their own invoices but I feel more comfortable with the Booking Confirmation particularly with a agent I haven’t used before.

Excellent advice.  I second this! 🙂

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

I sincerely hoped you end up very happy.  Most TAs are reputable.  We had a bad experience the 1 time we used that site which cost us more than the TAs original invoice.  $2300 less than Celebrity and some large TAs are selling that holiday cruise for could be the find of the year.

I’ve attached my ( redacted) booking confirmation from TA, is this good enough in your opinion? Always included etc is in the “ notes” section.

Celebrity Cruises.pdf

3 hours ago, dinzitari said:

So, sort of new to cruise compete. Booked my 3rd cruise with them just recently. Specifically, the EDGE leaving Dec 26 2021. Received a E3 (infinite’s veranda) for me, wife and two young children. Prices was ~$5840, w. Always included (tips, WiFi beverage) and $250 OBC.

Celebrity lists this right now at $8100 (no OBC) and next best on Cruise compete for same cabin was $7150 w/ 700ish OBC. Not were about $7150 w/ $300 OBC on average. Should I be alarmed (TA was an expedia cruises agent), or just ecstatic. I did already book but don’t want to have any surprises on a holiday vacation.

I've used them before and have had great deals, normally the fare is similar to the posted fare with added OBC or the OBC they would have given in the form of a discount. I just booked a cruise with the Indulge package from an agent I used previously via Compete and once I paid the same cruise fare Celebrity was asking, the agent also added $500ish in extra OBC. Not sure how I am going to spend $1300 on an 11 night cruise, but it sure will be fun!!

43 minutes ago, dinzitari said:

I’ve attached my ( redacted) booking confirmation from TA, is this good enough in your opinion? Always included etc is in the “ notes” section.

Celebrity Cruises.pdf 460.41 kB · 13 downloads

No.  I always insist on a copy of the Celebrity confirmation itself in addition to the confirmation from the travel agent.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

No.  I always insist on a copy of the Celebrity confirmation itself in addition to the confirmation from the travel agent.

I will do the same and report back. Thank you for your advice.

We use the mentioned comparison website all the time.  We save lots of money with them.   Sometime one place is cheaper and another time someone else.  Never had any problems.  Have two cruises booked through them right now.

Response to Neverlaysup. OBC from travel agent may be refundable.  When you are on the ship you can ask or find a code.  It will come off your credit card at the end.  OBC from Celebrity is non refundable.

• Like 1

OBC type is easy to distinguish if you look at your account on the TV in the stateroom or on the Celebrity APP while onboard.   Any amount with a code like OBN is non refundable use it or lose it.   OBR is refundable, if not used by the end of the cruise will be refunded to the form of payment used to pay for the cruise or you can go to the purser and get it in cash on the last day.

11 hours ago, kathynorth said:

Your cabin may be part of a group that your TA reserved while cabin rates were low. I was able to book a cabin with AI on Apex for a rate that is more than half of the current posted rate. 

This. We jumped onto a group rate when we booked. 

9 hours ago, jelayne said:

This is what the 1st page of Celebrity Booking Confirmation- Guest Copy look like.B280E785-D739-45C6-B0FB-A3974DB8C21D.thumb.jpeg.acc1fa20955966eee7c4d35e1edcab09.jpeg

So just received one of these from TA. It looks a little different, and shows this booking is in fact part of a group. It does also specially say that "Always included, drinks, tips, grat". is part of the booking. It also says "vaccinated", although I am not yet only my wife. No one asked me if I was lol, but my first jab is today so no harm no foul. I do NOT see anything about OBC on this form, and oddly, the itinerary only shows first four days, despite saying top the correct sailing and length. I'm assuming this is legit.

My biggest question left, would OBC show on the Celebrity Booking Confirmation?

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

Yes it is right below the deposit information

image.thumb.png.38adaadbef41628e8fa32107c7949d6b.png

Under " Promotions applied" it says: Please be advised if your booking qualifies foray amenity... these will be applied within 10 business days (has not been 10 days yet). 

To finalize this thread, I do feel that this deal is legit, and will say I am ECSTATIC to have found this deal. We were booked on Mardi Gras same date, but with the kids club closing, it took away our primary reason to cruise. (We have little to no help with kids throughout the year, so cruising fits us well, we get some alone time and also family time). 

My mardi gras rate for balcony was $4700 plus about 450 OBC. When you factor in the money we would have spent on drinks and tips, it very close in price. My kids will likely miss the "fun ship amenities" (have never cruised with carnival before).... they are still very young and the idea of just spending time as a family in the rooftop garden feels very wholesome. I'm thrilled, and very thankful for all of the replies i've reviewed. You all have been a great help!