Carnival Stock Under $20 today!

asalligo

15 hours ago, canes20 said:

Had limit order at $20 but changed it to $18.50 then to $18. Already have 200 from last year (100 at $8 and 100 at $12). Not sure if I want to stay at $18 or go lower

Who can predict the stock market. I've done it for more years than some here been alive and still it's only guesses. Who knows if yesterday was a one and done or not. Maybe was the only day below 20 that will happen. Of course the talking heads say it dropped because people were afraid of covid getting worse. So why were they afraid yesterday but not today when ccl back over 20. 

Sometimes it feels like all the biggies got together and said ok let's wash out all the weak hands, then take it back up.

• Like 1

I will buy when Carnival allows my wife to cruise again.  She is on oxygen and travels with an oxygen concentrator which Carnival has now banned from any of their ships.

We have traveled to Florida to SeaWorld, Walt Disney World and Universal Studios this year with no problems, yet we cannot cruise.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Who can predict the stock market.... Of course the talking heads say it dropped because people were afraid of covid getting worse. So why were they afraid yesterday but not today when ccl back over 20... 

Agreed nobody can predict the movement of the stock market each day at a time, for many reasons including the news and events that unfold after their prediction (e.g., Cramer at 6pmET).

I think it's clear the covid variant is a large reason Carnival is down ~27% in the past month - it added a level of uncertainty to future economic growth in general and more acutely to travel stocks.  As for this morning's spike, when Carnival finally released September, October and rest of 2021 schedule showing the general plan they outlined earlier is being executed... well that feels like greater level of certainty (although the zombie variant could still be lurking).

Carnival stock bounces after plans to have nearly 75% of cruise capacity operating by year end - MarketWatch

Edited by IntrepidFromDC

we bought more yesterday. No one can time the market... It's mostly a matter of luck and events that are unpredictable, coupled with a bit of research. For us, it's a long play... don't expect it to get close to peak for a few years. Until then, I want to invest in a company I love and utilize. 

1 hour ago, ober134 said:

Until then, I want to invest in a company I love and utilize. 

That is the exact reason Warren Buffet owns Coke, See's Candy, Dairy Queen, and Heinz. The man has done well. 

CCL is up 6% on the day at the moment, not bad for those who buy on the dip. The company is also buying their own stock 

15 minutes ago, Moviela said:

The company is also buying their own stock 

They are? Do you have a link. Why would they issue more shares just a few weeks ago, . Again ...to raise more operating cash, and now you say they are buying shares back. Why do a secondary if they are buying shares back. I'd like to see where you read this. It makes no sense for a company who has to raise cash. It would be the stupidest move ever for a company who is also doing secondarys to raise cash. 

39 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They are? Do you have a link. Why would they issue more shares just a few weeks ago, . Again ...to raise more operating cash, and now you say they are buying shares back. Why do a secondary if they are buying shares back. I'd like to see where you read this. It makes no sense for a company who has to raise cash. It would be the stupidest move ever for a company who is also doing secondarys to raise cash. 

I read the two transactions are related - issue new shares to raise cash to buy the UK listed shares, plus "general operating expenses".

Edit: sorry, I forgot you asked for a link (there are many articles accessible through Google, this is just the first hit): Carnival Gains On Share Swap Buyback, Revised Term Loan And Cruises (yahoo.com)

Edited by IntrepidFromDC
  • Thanks 1

Carnival discussion aside, the market as a whole is down. Too many people believe this is the time to panic, sell-off, and give explanations why a stock is doing terribly that has nothing to do with anything. Sometimes they are right. More often than not, I wouldn't listen to people who follow day-to-day panic on the internet. Not that this justification makes Carnival a surefire bet. These types of panics are often great times to purchase, even more so if you get in at the right time.

Buy low, sell high.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I read the two transactions are related - issue new shares to raise cash to buy the UK listed shares, plus "general operating expenses".

Edit: sorry, I forgot you asked for a link (there are many articles accessible through Google, this is just the first hit): Carnival Gains On Share Swap Buyback, Revised Term Loan And Cruises (yahoo.com)

this is a rare price arbitrage. they sold shares of CCL (priced higher right now) and are buying back CUK. if they used the full 500 million in this way, the rough 10% difference in, would boost their EPS and such when they return to profitability. with the price drop since issuing the shares, that % difference might be even higher. not sure what price they got on the share offering.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:42 PM, IntrepidFromDC said:

Order filled.  Will buy more at $18.50 or $18, unless some major event occurs (e.g., delta mutates and starts turning people into actual brain-eating zombies).

GAWD...don't let the conspiracy people going!