2 questions please

KJGOUGE

Sailing 12/11 on Elation to Amber Cove and Grand Turk. 

1.  Will we need passports or just birth certificates?

2.  Plan on doing the onboard account with cash.  Will each person get a card or is it one per cabin?  Would like to give the kids each their own with some spending money on it.

Thanks in advance.

Recommend birth certificates, but photo ID and birth certificates will work.

Everyone gets their own card.  You can give them charging privilege's (or not) when you set up your account.  Everyone in the room will be charged to the account you set up (the ones you give charging privileges too)

I think wemjam meant "recommend passports".  I concur.  But as always, BC + photo ID (like a DL) are acceptable for cruises to (just) those destinations.  (Some places are requiring passports, IIRC, but not very common.)

And yes, everyone gets a Sail and Sign card - it is how you get registered going off/on the ship, as a bare minimum.  And you can assign those S&S cards (and others in different rooms if part of same grouped booking) to your payment method, with limits for each card if required.

I've heard limiting the money doesnt work very well. If the kids want something safer to have them come and get you. If they charge more carnival will say it's your responsibility.  

I have a hc sister and I just check the box she has no spending privileges and I'll be responsible for her charges. I pay all the bills on her cruise anyway. 

8 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I think wemjam meant "recommend passports".  I concur.  But as always, BC + photo ID (like a DL) are acceptable for cruises to (just) those destinations.  (Some places are requiring passports, IIRC, but not very common.)

And yes, everyone gets a Sail and Sign card - it is how you get registered going off/on the ship, as a bare minimum.  And you can assign those S&S cards (and others in different rooms if part of same grouped booking) to your payment method, with limits for each card if required.

Yep, passports! thanks!

46 minutes ago, groundloop said:

You can use an Enhanced driver's license (by itself, no BC) instead of a passport, but you can also use a regular DL or other Gov't issued photo ID plus birth certificate.

"Also acceptable for cruise travel (for cruises that begin and end in a U.S port), U.S. citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate  issued by a government agency and accompanied by government-issued photo identification." 

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

It would be hard for them to require an Enhanced Drivers License since only 5 states currently issue them. Do not confuse REAL ID compliant licenses and EDLs, they are two completely different things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KJGOUGE said:

Sailing 12/11 on Elation to Amber Cove and Grand Turk. 

1.  Will we need passports or just birth certificates?

2.  Plan on doing the onboard account with cash.  Will each person get a card or is it one per cabin?  Would like to give the kids each their own with some spending money on it.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest reading through the Carnival website as many of your questions are answered there.

Also scrolling through past posts to make sure your question hasn't already been answered.

The Carnival website is the one you can trust over what's said here.

We've found that out with vaccines and I wouldn't chance it when talking passports.

8 minutes ago, sailingships said:

DL will be fine, BC for children. 

Partially correct, adults (16 and over) need a government issued photo ID and a birth certificate if they were born in the US, children under 16 need only a birth certificate. US citizens not born in the US may use a Naturalization Certificate or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad instead of a birth certificate.

Passport period. Things will not go well in foreign countries without one. Can you sail without one? Sure. You don't run with scissors, or cross the street without looking, so getting a passport should be a no brainer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I've heard limiting the money doesnt work very well. If the kids want something safer to have them come and get you. If they charge more carnival will say it's your responsibility.  

Not entirely correct. At guest services you establish the exact amount that your child (or cabin mate) can charge on your account. You can even set a daily amount.

They can't charge more than the set amount.

This is ideal for kids who are allowed to roam the candy store or arcade by themselves.

9 hours ago, candigirl41 said:

I feel for the people who can't get a passport as the back log is 12-18 weeks expedited.  My daughter is having to use her Drivers license and Birth certificate.

Candi

I think it's great to have a plan B when plan A fails (or for someone to use as an alternative who doesn't travel a lot). Before COVID millions of people used something other than a passport and the same will be true once cruising resumes to normal numbers.